Ampache on OC 6

Duarte Velez Grilo
Is it only me, or the ampache feature is not working very well?

Cheers,
Duarte

Re: Ampache on OC 6

Bernhard Posselt-2
There is no ampache feature, what are you referring to? The music app?

Also if you want ampache it might be best to set up ampache itself

On 12/14/2013 04:00 PM, Duarte Velez Grilo wrote:
> Is it only me, or the ampache feature is not working very well?
>
> Cheers,
> Duarte

Re: Ampache on OC 6

Duarte Velez Grilo
Oh, my bad then. I was under the impression there was an ampache server
that we could connect to before. Am I wrong?

On 14-12-2013 15:06, Bernhard Posselt wrote:

> There is no ampache feature, what are you referring to? The music app?
>
> Also if you want ampache it might be best to set up ampache itself
>
> On 12/14/2013 04:00 PM, Duarte Velez Grilo wrote:
>> Is it only me, or the ampache feature is not working very well?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Duarte

Re: Ampache on OC 6

Tornóci László
On 12/14/2013 04:16 PM, Duarte Velez Grilo wrote:
> Oh, my bad then. I was under the impression there was an ampache server
> that we could connect to before. Am I wrong?

No, you are not. I definitely remember, that I could use several ampache
clients to connect to OC and listen to my music files stored in OC
successfully (the clients were: Amarok on linux pc, and "Just player"
and "Ampache provider" on an Android tablet). But that was several
months ago, can't remember if it was 4.x or 5.0. But it used to work for
sure, and I think that was a very nice and useful feature. It should not
be dropped from OC.

                                        Yours: Laszlo

> On 14-12-2013 15:06, Bernhard Posselt wrote:
>> There is no ampache feature, what are you referring to? The music app?
>>
>> Also if you want ampache it might be best to set up ampache itself

>> On 12/14/2013 04:00 PM, Duarte Velez Grilo wrote:
>>> Is it only me, or the ampache feature is not working very well?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Duarte

Re: Ampache on OC 6

Bernhard Posselt-2
That feature was part of the music application, the music application
was a security risk and had no maintainer, thats why it was dropped.
There is a new alpha release from a different maintainer on the appstore
which you can try. I dont think it features ampache integration.

Apart from that supporting the ampache API weakens your password
security (by a lot) and allows the use of rainbow tables to crack your
password. Just sayin.

On 12/14/2013 04:30 PM, Tornóci László wrote:

> On 12/14/2013 04:16 PM, Duarte Velez Grilo wrote:
>> Oh, my bad then. I was under the impression there was an ampache server
>> that we could connect to before. Am I wrong?
>
> No, you are not. I definitely remember, that I could use several
> ampache clients to connect to OC and listen to my music files stored
> in OC successfully (the clients were: Amarok on linux pc, and "Just
> player" and "Ampache provider" on an Android tablet). But that was
> several months ago, can't remember if it was 4.x or 5.0. But it used
> to work for sure, and I think that was a very nice and useful feature.
> It should not be dropped from OC.
>
>                     Yours: Laszlo
>

>> On 14-12-2013 15:06, Bernhard Posselt wrote:
>>> There is no ampache feature, what are you referring to? The music app?
>>>
>>> Also if you want ampache it might be best to set up ampache itself

Re: Ampache on OC 6

Tornóci László
On 12/14/2013 04:40 PM, Bernhard Posselt wrote:
> That feature was part of the music application, the music application
> was a security risk and had no maintainer, thats why it was dropped.
> There is a new alpha release from a different maintainer on the appstore
> which you can try. I dont think it features ampache integration.
>
> Apart from that supporting the ampache API weakens your password
> security (by a lot) and allows the use of rainbow tables to crack your
> password. Just sayin.

That's something I thought of myself, too. Is there a difference here
between services that OC provides? There are quite a few services
(webdav file, address book, calendar sync, mozilla sync). Are these
services any better from the security point than the ampache API? The
more services we use on different gadgets the more the security risk,
that is clear. But is there any difference between services? Just curious.

                                        Yours: Laszlo

> On 12/14/2013 04:30 PM, Tornóci László wrote:
>> On 12/14/2013 04:16 PM, Duarte Velez Grilo wrote:
>>> Oh, my bad then. I was under the impression there was an ampache server
>>> that we could connect to before. Am I wrong?
>>
>> No, you are not. I definitely remember, that I could use several
>> ampache clients to connect to OC and listen to my music files stored
>> in OC successfully (the clients were: Amarok on linux pc, and "Just
>> player" and "Ampache provider" on an Android tablet). But that was
>> several months ago, can't remember if it was 4.x or 5.0. But it used
>> to work for sure, and I think that was a very nice and useful feature.
>> It should not be dropped from OC.
>>
>>                      Yours: Laszlo

Re: Ampache on OC 6

Robin Appelman-3
On Saturday 14 December 2013 17:20:22 Tornóci László wrote:

> On 12/14/2013 04:40 PM, Bernhard Posselt wrote:
> > That feature was part of the music application, the music application
> > was a security risk and had no maintainer, thats why it was dropped.
> > There is a new alpha release from a different maintainer on the appstore
> > which you can try. I dont think it features ampache integration.
> >
> > Apart from that supporting the ampache API weakens your password
> > security (by a lot) and allows the use of rainbow tables to crack your
> > password. Just sayin.
>
> That's something I thought of myself, too. Is there a difference here
> between services that OC provides? There are quite a few services
> (webdav file, address book, calendar sync, mozilla sync). Are these
> services any better from the security point than the ampache API? The
> more services we use on different gadgets the more the security risk,
> that is clear. But is there any difference between services? Just curious.
>
> Yours: Laszlo

As far as I know ampache is an exception since ampache requires us to store
the sha256 hash of the password, for things like cal/card/webdav we can choose
our own password storage format (bcrypt)

 - Robin Appelman

Re: Ampache on OC 6

Bernhard Posselt-3

webDav and CalDav/CardDav use normal HTTP iirc, HTTP basic auth. If this
is done over SSL it is encrypted. The only problem there could be if
someone manages to do a Man in the Middle attack which allows him to
grab your password. That would require him to have a valid Cert for your
domain though. If you check the fingerprint (or if the program does
this) its close to impossible to do this. So I'd argue: As long as you
can be sure that the SSL Cert is your own Cert, its way saver.