Authenticating users

Simon Brereton
Hi

I was expecting slightly more from the installation and config so as
it is, I now have an owncloud instance but it's not in any way
integrated with my other services.

For example, I would like to use the existing usernames/passwords from
the mail system (since that will control which users even have the
ability to use owncloud).  How is that possible?  I wasn't able to
find documentation on it.  (Note, Owncloud should continue to use its
own DB for everything else, only authentication should be handed off
to another DB or IMAP/webmail).

Secondly, is it possible to integrate owncloud with webmail (e.g
Horde, Roundcube, Squirrel, etc)?  Has anyone done that?

Lastly, the install instructions say the data/ directory will be
created during the configuration process, but the configuration
process doesn't even start if that directory isn't present.  Since the
install instructions say you should change the owner to the web server
user, I think you should either a) add an empty directory to the
tarball or b) amend the install instructions to have that directory
created.  Also, clicking on the Advanced button, brings up a nice
dialog box for the mysql db, user and password, but doesn't create it.
 It would be better to have the user input the mysql root password AS
WELL, so that you can create that DB with the correct user and
persmissions, OR in the error message provide a handy C&P mysql
command using the provided values.  Just my suggestions as a new user
:)

So far it looks great and the install was relatively easy.  If anyone
can help with the authentication question, that would be great!

Thanks.

Simon

Authenticating users

Bart Visscher
On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 02:35:52PM -0400, Simon Brereton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was expecting slightly more from the installation and config so as
> it is, I now have an owncloud instance but it's not in any way
> integrated with my other services.
>
> For example, I would like to use the existing usernames/passwords from
> the mail system (since that will control which users even have the
> ability to use owncloud).  How is that possible?  I wasn't able to
> find documentation on it.  (Note, Owncloud should continue to use its
> own DB for everything else, only authentication should be handed off
> to another DB or IMAP/webmail).

There is a 3rd party app user_imap that authenticate against a imap
server.

> Secondly, is it possible to integrate owncloud with webmail (e.g
> Horde, Roundcube, Squirrel, etc)?  Has anyone done that?

You can embed a webmail with the externals app.

Integration of the addressbook with Roundcube has been done with the
carddav plugin.

Bart

> Thanks.
>
> Simon

Authenticating users

Simon Brereton
On 6 June 2012 04:34, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 02:35:52PM -0400, Simon Brereton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was expecting slightly more from the installation and config so as
>> it is, I now have an owncloud instance but it's not in any way
>> integrated with my other services.
>>
>> For example, I would like to use the existing usernames/passwords from
>> the mail system (since that will control which users even have the
>> ability to use owncloud). ?How is that possible? ?I wasn't able to
>> find documentation on it. ?(Note, Owncloud should continue to use its
>> own DB for everything else, only authentication should be handed off
>> to another DB or IMAP/webmail).
>
> There is a 3rd party app user_imap that authenticate against a imap
> server.

Thanks Bart.  I have another suggestion - it might do to link
http://apps.owncloud.com on the site or at least in the apps section
of the admin console.  I didn't know 3rd-party apps were available or
how to find them until I found that link at the bottom of the page on
how to write my own app!

Secondly, there's no install instructions.  By viewing the page I
downloaded a zip file, but that leaves me with two problems.  I have
to move the zip to the server and b) I have no idea where to unzip it
(I assume in the app folder, but I can't find definitive
instructions).

Lastly, the download URL is
http://apps.owncloud.com/content/download.php?content=148653&id=1&tan=66944430&PHPSESSID=d671680a575f25b5ad1e98a5138126ee
where as http://apps.owncloud.com/CONTENT/content-files/148653-user_imap.zip
would be more wget friendly.

Simon

>> Secondly, is it possible to integrate owncloud with webmail (e.g
>> Horde, Roundcube, Squirrel, etc)? ?Has anyone done that?
>
> You can embed a webmail with the externals app.
>
> Integration of the addressbook with Roundcube has been done with the
> carddav plugin.

Authenticating users

Simon Brereton
On 6 June 2012 10:44, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 June 2012 04:34, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 02:35:52PM -0400, Simon Brereton wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was expecting slightly more from the installation and config so as
>>> it is, I now have an owncloud instance but it's not in any way
>>> integrated with my other services.
>>>
>>> For example, I would like to use the existing usernames/passwords from
>>> the mail system (since that will control which users even have the
>>> ability to use owncloud). ?How is that possible? ?I wasn't able to
>>> find documentation on it. ?(Note, Owncloud should continue to use its
>>> own DB for everything else, only authentication should be handed off
>>> to another DB or IMAP/webmail).
>>
>> There is a 3rd party app user_imap that authenticate against a imap
>> server.
>
> Thanks Bart. ?I have another suggestion - it might do to link
> http://apps.owncloud.com on the site or at least in the apps section
> of the admin console. ?I didn't know 3rd-party apps were available or
> how to find them until I found that link at the bottom of the page on
> how to write my own app!
>

> Secondly, there's no install instructions. ?By viewing the page I
> downloaded a zip file, but that leaves me with two problems. ?I have
> to move the zip to the server and b) I have no idea where to unzip it
> (I assume in the app folder, but I can't find definitive
> instructions).

Sorry to keep on about this - but I googled and I still find no clear
instructions on how to install a zip file and I'm reluctant to try
(just unzipping in the apps directory) on a production system.  I
realise Owncloud is still a young project, but Joomla makes this
really easy.  As safe as that approach sounds, I saw recently a thread
about different installation directory and so without a little more
information I'm not willing to play around (especially since it's an
auth module and installing it wrongly could pose a security risk).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Simon

> Lastly, the download URL is
> http://apps.owncloud.com/content/download.php?content=148653&id=1&tan=66944430&PHPSESSID=d671680a575f25b5ad1e98a5138126ee
> where as http://apps.owncloud.com/CONTENT/content-files/148653-user_imap.zip
> would be more wget friendly.
>
> Simon
>

>>> Secondly, is it possible to integrate owncloud with webmail (e.g
>>> Horde, Roundcube, Squirrel, etc)? ?Has anyone done that?
>>
>> You can embed a webmail with the externals app.
>>
>> Integration of the addressbook with Roundcube has been done with the
>> carddav plugin.

Authenticating users

Bart Visscher
On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 03:40:24PM -0400, Simon Brereton wrote:

> > Secondly, there's no install instructions. ??By viewing the page I
> > downloaded a zip file, but that leaves me with two problems. ??I have
> > to move the zip to the server and b) I have no idea where to unzip it
> > (I assume in the app folder, but I can't find definitive
> > instructions).
>

> Sorry to keep on about this - but I googled and I still find no clear
> instructions on how to install a zip file and I'm reluctant to try
> (just unzipping in the apps directory) on a production system.  I
> realise Owncloud is still a young project, but Joomla makes this
> really easy.  As safe as that approach sounds, I saw recently a thread
> about different installation directory and so without a little more
> information I'm not willing to play around (especially since it's an
> auth module and installing it wrongly could pose a security risk).

The different application directories is something for the next release.
If you make the apps directory writable for the web server, you can use
owncloud to install apps. If you don't want to do this, or use the zip
you currently have, unzip it in the apps directory. You still need to
enable it in the apps admin page.

Bart

> Any advice?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Simon
>

> > Lastly, the download URL is
> > http://apps.owncloud.com/content/download.php?content=148653&id=1&tan=66944430&PHPSESSID=d671680a575f25b5ad1e98a5138126ee
> > where as http://apps.owncloud.com/CONTENT/content-files/148653-user_imap.zip
> > would be more wget friendly.
> >
> > Simon

> >> You can embed a webmail with the externals app.
> >>
> >> Integration of the addressbook with Roundcube has been done with the
> >> carddav plugin.

Authenticating users

Simon Brereton
On 8 June 2012 17:21, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 03:40:24PM -0400, Simon Brereton wrote:
>> > Secondly, there's no install instructions. ??By viewing the page I
>> > downloaded a zip file, but that leaves me with two problems. ??I have
>> > to move the zip to the server and b) I have no idea where to unzip it
>> > (I assume in the app folder, but I can't find definitive
>> > instructions).
>>

>> Sorry to keep on about this - but I googled and I still find no clear
>> instructions on how to install a zip file and I'm reluctant to try
>> (just unzipping in the apps directory) on a production system. ?I
>> realise Owncloud is still a young project, but Joomla makes this
>> really easy. ?As safe as that approach sounds, I saw recently a thread
>> about different installation directory and so without a little more
>> information I'm not willing to play around (especially since it's an
>> auth module and installing it wrongly could pose a security risk).
>
> The different application directories is something for the next release.
> If you make the apps directory writable for the web server, you can use
> owncloud to install apps. If you don't want to do this, or use the zip
> you currently have, unzip it in the apps directory. You still need to
> enable it in the apps admin page.

Bart

To return to this (sorry, I've been really busy).  I made the apps
directory read/writable by www-data, but I still don't see how to
install apps from the interface.  However, more apps appear all the
time, for example this list is now much bigger than when I installed
owncloud.

Archive
Calendar
Contacts
Media
ODF Viewer
PDF Viewer
Pictures
Share Files
Text Editor
User Account Migration
Versions
ownCloud Instance Migration
Bookmarks
Encryption
External
External storage support
LDAP user and group backend
OpenID user backend
Tasks
Webfinger
ownCloud dependencies info
remoteStorage compatibility
Shorty3rd party
Storage Charts v2.23rd party
BrowserId user backend3rd party

But it doesn't have the app that I want.  Nor am I able to search and
install available apps.  Of course for the IMAP Auth app, I can just
unzip it as you said, but in the future I would like - if I understood
correctly - to browse and install apps from the interface.

thanks.

Simon

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> > Lastly, the download URL is
>> > http://apps.owncloud.com/content/download.php?content=148653&id=1&tan=66944430&PHPSESSID=d671680a575f25b5ad1e98a5138126ee
>> > where as http://apps.owncloud.com/CONTENT/content-files/148653-user_imap.zip
>> > would be more wget friendly.
>> >
>> > Simon

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: owncloud.png
Type: image/png
Size: 33017 bytes
Desc: not available

Authenticating users

Victor Dubiniuk
Hi Simon,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Simon Brereton
<simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>wrote:

> But it doesn't have the app that I want.  Nor am I able to search and
> install available apps.  Of course for the IMAP Auth app, I can just
> unzip it as you said, but in the future I would like - if I understood
> correctly - to browse and install apps from the interface.

It is possible in 4.0.3 to install the app from apps.owncloud.com with a
single click.
For 4.0.2 you need to apply this commit:
https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/commit/637f8398ba85870eac5cb0b03a67ef32b494336f

You will probably need php5-zip extension to be installed on your server.

---
Victor Dubiniuk

> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Simon

> http://apps.owncloud.com/content/download.php?content=148653&id=1&tan=66944430&PHPSESSID=d671680a575f25b5ad1e98a5138126ee
> http://apps.owncloud.com/CONTENT/content-files/148653-user_imap.zip

Authenticating users

Simon Brereton
On 24 June 2012 09:26, Victor Dubiniuk <victor.dubiniuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> But it doesn't have the app that I want. ?Nor am I able to search and
>> install available apps. ?Of course for the IMAP Auth app, I can just
>> unzip it as you said, but in the future I would like - if I understood
>> correctly - to browse and install apps from the interface.
>>

> It is possible in 4.0.3 to install the app from apps.owncloud.com with a
> single click.
> For 4.0.2 you need to apply this commit:
> https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/commit/637f8398ba85870eac5cb0b03a67ef32b494336f
>
> You will probably need?php5-zip extension to be installed on your server.

Okay, well for this imap-users app, I unzipped it in the /data
directory and yet, I get  "Error while enabling app" when I try to
enable it from the interface.  I thought it might be a permissions
issue, so I chmodded the perms from 750 to 755 like the rest of the
directories in /data, but that didn't help.  Nor did changing the
permissions inside the directory to match the others (i.e. 644 for
*.php and 755 for directories).

I assume the owner/creator of this app is not on the list?  Does
anyone else have experience installing this application?  Is there a
plan to merge it with the main branch because it seems to me to be
basic functionality (along with user_ldap)?

I have no experience with Gitorious/GitHub, so I'll ask my upgrading
questions in a new thread.

Thanks for your help!

Simon

Authenticating users

Victor Dubiniuk
Hi Simon,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Simon Brereton
<simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>wrote:

> Okay, well for this imap-users app, I unzipped it in the /data
> directory and yet, I get  "Error while enabling app" when I try to
> enable it from the interface.  I thought it might be a permissions
> issue, so I chmodded the perms from 750 to 755 like the rest of the
> directories in /data, but that didn't help.  Nor did changing the
> permissions inside the directory to match the others (i.e. 644 for
> *.php and 755 for directories).

Check if there is a record added to your ownCloud admin log when you enable
an app:

Error   core    Archives of type application/zip; are not supported

There was a bug with mime-type detection and it is fixed in the current
version by the commit I referred.
You can download patched file here
https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/blobs/637f8398ba85870eac5cb0b03a67ef32b494336f/lib/helper.php
using the 'Raw blob data' link.
Backup your lib/helper.php and replace it with the downloaded one. That's
it.

---
Victor Dubiniuk

On 24 June 2012 09:26, Victor Dubiniuk <victor.dubiniuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Simon Brereton <
> simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> But it doesn't have the app that I want.  Nor am I able to search and
> >> install available apps.  Of course for the IMAP Auth app, I can just
> >> unzip it as you said, but in the future I would like - if I understood
> >> correctly - to browse and install apps from the interface.
> >>

> > It is possible in 4.0.3 to install the app from apps.owncloud.com with a
> > single click.
> > For 4.0.2 you need to apply this commit:
> >
> https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/commit/637f8398ba85870eac5cb0b03a67ef32b494336f
> >
> > You will probably need php5-zip extension to be installed on your server.
>

> I assume the owner/creator of this app is not on the list?  Does
> anyone else have experience installing this application?  Is there a
> plan to merge it with the main branch because it seems to me to be
> basic functionality (along with user_ldap)?
>
> I have no experience with Gitorious/GitHub, so I'll ask my upgrading
> questions in a new thread.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Simon

Authenticating users

Simon Brereton
On 25 June 2012 11:19, Victor Dubiniuk <victor.dubiniuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Okay, well for this imap-users app, I unzipped it in the /data
>> directory and yet, I get ?"Error while enabling app" when I try to
>> enable it from the interface. ?I thought it might be a permissions
>> issue, so I chmodded the perms from 750 to 755 like the rest of the
>> directories in /data, but that didn't help. ?Nor did changing the
>> permissions inside the directory to match the others (i.e. 644 for
>> *.php and 755 for directories).
>

> Check if there is a record added to your?ownCloud admin log when you enable
> an app:
>
> Error ? core ? ?Archives of?type?application/zip; are not supported
>
> There was a bug with mime-type detection and it is fixed in the current
> version by the commit I referred.
> You can download patched file
> here?https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/blobs/637f8398ba85870eac5cb0b03a67ef32b494336f/lib/helper.php
> using the 'Raw blob data' link.
> Backup your lib/helper.php and replace it with the downloaded one. That's
> it.

Logging.  An interesting point.  I see a syslog.php file - so I
presume it's possible to set up logging to an actual
/var/log/owncloud.log and have it rotated as the other logs (Debian
6.0)?

Anyway, in the meantime I found this:

Error core App "IMAP user backend" can't be installed because it is
not compatible with this version of ownCloud June 25, 2012, 14:54
Error core App "IMAP user backend" can't be installed because it is
not compatible with this version of ownCloud June 25, 2012, 14:49

So, back to my original question :)  Will we get IMAP authentication
as part of the base package eventually?  I am not a PHP coder
otherwise I would surely offer up something.   I would like to
contribute if possible though.

Thanks.

Simon

>> On 24 June 2012 09:26, Victor Dubiniuk <victor.dubiniuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Simon,
>> >
>> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Simon Brereton
>> > <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>

>> > It is possible in 4.0.3 to install the app from apps.owncloud.com with a
>> > single click.
>> > For 4.0.2 you need to apply this commit:
>> >
>> > https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/commit/637f8398ba85870eac5cb0b03a67ef32b494336f
>> >
>> > You will probably need?php5-zip extension to be installed on your
>> > server.
>>

>> I assume the owner/creator of this app is not on the list? ?Does
>> anyone else have experience installing this application? ?Is there a
>> plan to merge it with the main branch because it seems to me to be
>> basic functionality (along with user_ldap)?
>>
>> I have no experience with Gitorious/GitHub, so I'll ask my upgrading
>> questions in a new thread.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Simon

Re: Authenticating users

joopdoop1
Totally agree with your suggestion.. Very nice post and good information here..Thanks for posting that.. Read

Re: Authenticating users

Simon Brereton
Here you will find how to do it.  It's not feature complete in my opinion but works...

Simon

here..Thanks for posting that..  Read <http://med-sciences.com/>