Quantcast

Confusing message about updating

Chris Green
I'm getting the following message:-

    New OwnCloud version 2.2.4 available.  Please use the system's
    update tool to install it.

So, what is meant by "the system's update tool"?  The Ubuntu
repositories for xubuntu 16.04 (the version I'm running) don't have
2.2.4 so I can't update from there.

Presumably I just wait until 2.2.4 *is* in the Ubuntu repositories but
that makes the message pretty pointless as I'll get the update (when
it's there) with all my other updates.  Why should OwnCloud think it's
so special that it can pop up a message about this, if every program
did the same there would be hundreds of similar messages.

--
Chris Green

Re: Confusing message about updating

Christian Kivalo
On 2016-11-04 11:58, Chris Green wrote:
> I'm getting the following message:-
>
>     New OwnCloud version 2.2.4 available.  Please use the system's
>     update tool to install it.
>
> So, what is meant by "the system's update tool"?  The Ubuntu
> repositories for xubuntu 16.04 (the version I'm running) don't have
> 2.2.4 so I can't update from there.
That would be apt-get, apt, aptitude or any graphical tool used to
install/update packages
The message is from the owncloud client and the official ubuntu package
sources are not the only sources you can install packages from.
> Presumably I just wait until 2.2.4 *is* in the Ubuntu repositories but
> that makes the message pretty pointless as I'll get the update (when
> it's there) with all my other updates.  Why should OwnCloud think it's
> so special that it can pop up a message about this, if every program
> did the same there would be hundreds of similar messages.

You could have had a look at
https://owncloud.org/install/#install-clients and followed the link to
the directions for ubuntu:
https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=isv:ownCloud:desktop&package=owncloud-client