Contacts unusable slow

Oliver Welter
Hi All,

I am running owncloud on a home server which works fine for files and
calender but the contacts app is driving me crazy.

With OC 8.2 it was somewhat useable on the UI but did not sync with my
android phone - after upgrading to OC 9 last week it got worse!

It already takes about 2 seconds to get the "pane" (which is approx 100
calls to JS/CSS resources) and then it needs 3 to 4 MINUTES until the
contacts show up. In Firebug I can see a "REPORT" request that is taking
that long. Syning the phone with the CardDAV app is impossible as it
runs into a timeout.

The logs do not show anything looking related/useful - is there nobody
out there using contacts? I am doing something wrong? I run OC from ZIP
on Ubuntu 14.04 with LAMP.

Anybody here can provide some help?

Oliver
--
Protect your environment -  close windows and adopt a penguin!

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Chris-3

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Andrea Croci
I can't provide you with a solution because I'm not an expert. But for what it's worth, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.4 with Apache 2.4.20, MySQL 5.7, PHP 7.0, OC 9.0.2 and all relevant programs installed directly from the relative ppas, not using LAMP.

On this I'm not experiencing any of the reported issues: in my case 620 contacts show up in the web interface in 4-5 seconds and they synchronize great with DavDroid on two android phones and with Thunderbird's addressbook.

Regards, Andrea.

Am 02.06.2016 um 20:24 schrieb Andrea Croci:
> I can't provide you with a solution because I'm not an expert. But for
> what it's worth, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.4 with Apache 2.4.20, MySQL 5.7,
> PHP 7.0, OC 9.0.2 and all relevant programs installed directly from the
> relative ppas, not using LAMP.
>
> On this I'm not experiencing any of the reported issues: in my case 620
> contacts show up in the web interface in 4-5 seconds and they
> synchronize great with DavDroid on two android phones and with
> Thunderbird's addressbook.

Thanks for that HeadsUp - I will do an upgarde to Ubuntu 16.04 which
comes with more recent version of the LAMP stuff and lets check if it
works then.

Oliver

--
Protect your environment -  close windows and adopt a penguin!

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Chris Green
On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:02:30AM +0200, Oliver Welter wrote:

> Am 02.06.2016 um 20:24 schrieb Andrea Croci:
> > I can't provide you with a solution because I'm not an expert. But for
> > what it's worth, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.4 with Apache 2.4.20, MySQL 5.7,
> > PHP 7.0, OC 9.0.2 and all relevant programs installed directly from the
> > relative ppas, not using LAMP.
> >
> > On this I'm not experiencing any of the reported issues: in my case 620
> > contacts show up in the web interface in 4-5 seconds and they
> > synchronize great with DavDroid on two android phones and with
> > Thunderbird's addressbook.
>
> Thanks for that HeadsUp - I will do an upgarde to Ubuntu 16.04 which comes
> with more recent version of the LAMP stuff and lets check if it works then.

I'm running Owncloud 9.0.2 on an Ubuntu 14.04 virtual server with
quite limited memory and other resources.  The contacts app works fine
for me from xubuntu 16.04 Owncloud clients on my laptop and desktop
machines.

--
Chris Green

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Thomas Keil
My OC instance runs on a cubietruck (dualcore ARM board with 2GB RAM)
with cubian (debian wheezy), so with quite limited resources. The web
interface is very slow for all apps, but contact sync (as well as
calendars and files) works reasonably well with desktop
(thunderbird+cardbook) and mobile (android+carddavsync) clients. no
problems with timeouts and the like.
I use php 5.4.45, apache 2.2.22 and mysql 5.5.49, no additional ppas (as
far as I remember).

So my questions to the OP:
- How many contacts do you have? I am working with about 300.
- Do you use MySQL or SQLite? I heard the latter might be forbiddingly slow.
- Did you look into the performance tuning section of the documentation
[1], especially considering Caching?

Considering the other replies I assume that the problem is somewhere in
the configuration of the owncloud instance or the underlying software
(LAMP), but not in the hardware itself or the software versions. It
sounds like a problem with reading from the database. But I might be
wrong of course.

Best Regards,
Thomas

[1]
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/configuration_server/oc_server_tuning.html

On 06/03/2016 10:35 AM, Chris Green wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:02:30AM +0200, Oliver Welter wrote:
>> Am 02.06.2016 um 20:24 schrieb Andrea Croci:
>>> I can't provide you with a solution because I'm not an expert. But for
>>> what it's worth, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.4 with Apache 2.4.20, MySQL 5.7,
>>> PHP 7.0, OC 9.0.2 and all relevant programs installed directly from the
>>> relative ppas, not using LAMP.
>>>
>>> On this I'm not experiencing any of the reported issues: in my case 620
>>> contacts show up in the web interface in 4-5 seconds and they
>>> synchronize great with DavDroid on two android phones and with
>>> Thunderbird's addressbook.
>>
>> Thanks for that HeadsUp - I will do an upgarde to Ubuntu 16.04 which comes
>> with more recent version of the LAMP stuff and lets check if it works then.
>>
> I'm running Owncloud 9.0.2 on an Ubuntu 14.04 virtual server with
> quite limited memory and other resources.  The contacts app works fine
> for me from xubuntu 16.04 Owncloud clients on my laptop and desktop
> machines.

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Chris Green
On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 01:13:32PM +0200, Thomas Keil wrote:

> On 06/03/2016 10:35 AM, Chris Green wrote:

> > > Thanks for that HeadsUp - I will do an upgarde to Ubuntu 16.04 which comes
> > > with more recent version of the LAMP stuff and lets check if it works then.
> > >
> > I'm running Owncloud 9.0.2 on an Ubuntu 14.04 virtual server with
> > quite limited memory and other resources.  The contacts app works fine
> > for me from xubuntu 16.04 Owncloud clients on my laptop and desktop
> > machines.
>
> My OC instance runs on a cubietruck (dualcore ARM board with 2GB RAM) with
> cubian (debian wheezy), so with quite limited resources. The web interface
> is very slow for all apps, but contact sync (as well as calendars and files)
> works reasonably well with desktop (thunderbird+cardbook) and mobile
> (android+carddavsync) clients. no problems with timeouts and the like.
> I use php 5.4.45, apache 2.2.22 and mysql 5.5.49, no additional ppas (as far
> as I remember).
>
> So my questions to the OP:
> - How many contacts do you have? I am working with about 300.
> - Do you use MySQL or SQLite? I heard the latter might be forbiddingly slow.

I'm using sqlite with no problems on my Ubuntu 14.04 virtual server
with (as noted above) no problems.  As I said the virtual server is
quite resource limited, single processor core and only 256Mb memory.

> - Did you look into the performance tuning section of the documentation [1],
> especially considering Caching?
>
> Considering the other replies I assume that the problem is somewhere in the
> configuration of the owncloud instance or the underlying software (LAMP),
> but not in the hardware itself or the software versions. It sounds like a
> problem with reading from the database. But I might be wrong of course.

I've done no performance tuning at all, everything as installed.

--
Chris Green

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Oliver Welter
Hi Thomas,

Am 03.06.2016 um 13:13 schrieb Thomas Keil:

> My OC instance runs on a cubietruck (dualcore ARM board with 2GB RAM)
> with cubian (debian wheezy), so with quite limited resources. The web
> interface is very slow for all apps, but contact sync (as well as
> calendars and files) works reasonably well with desktop
> (thunderbird+cardbook) and mobile (android+carddavsync) clients. no
> problems with timeouts and the like.
> I use php 5.4.45, apache 2.2.22 and mysql 5.5.49, no additional ppas (as
> far as I remember).
>
> So my questions to the OP:
> - How many contacts do you have? I am working with about 300.
approx 280

> - Do you use MySQL or SQLite? I heard the latter might be forbiddingly
> slow.

mysql on localhost (stock ubuntu)

> - Did you look into the performance tuning section of the documentation
> [1], especially considering Caching?

OPCache is working and looks sane (from phpinfo):

Cache hits 1797799
Cache misses 1400
Used memory 30001792
Free memory 36879048

Asset Pipelining is incompatible with calender app (there is a hard
expcetion in the code)

I didnt mess with file locking, top does not show any load/waits etc but
might be its worth to try it....

Might it be an issue with the format of contacts? I used a vcard import
from my old calender....

Oliver

--
Protect your environment -  close windows and adopt a penguin!

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Thomas Keil
Hi

On 06/06/2016 11:59 AM, Oliver Welter wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Am 03.06.2016 um 13:13 schrieb Thomas Keil:
>> My OC instance runs on a cubietruck (dualcore ARM board with 2GB RAM)
>> with cubian (debian wheezy), so with quite limited resources. The web
>> interface is very slow for all apps, but contact sync (as well as
>> calendars and files) works reasonably well with desktop
>> (thunderbird+cardbook) and mobile (android+carddavsync) clients. no
>> problems with timeouts and the like.
>> I use php 5.4.45, apache 2.2.22 and mysql 5.5.49, no additional ppas (as
>> far as I remember).
>>
>> So my questions to the OP:
>> - How many contacts do you have? I am working with about 300.
>
> approx 280
>
>> - Do you use MySQL or SQLite? I heard the latter might be forbiddingly
>> slow.
>
> mysql on localhost (stock ubuntu)
>
>> - Did you look into the performance tuning section of the documentation
>> [1], especially considering Caching?
>
> OPCache is working and looks sane (from phpinfo):
>
> Cache hits     1797799
> Cache misses     1400
> Used memory     30001792
> Free memory     36879048
>
> Asset Pipelining is incompatible with calender app (there is a hard
> expcetion in the code)
>
> I didnt mess with file locking, top does not show any load/waits etc but
> might be its worth to try it....
>
> Might it be an issue with the format of contacts? I used a vcard import
> from my old calender....

That is possibly the reason for the not working sync with android at
least. I also imported old contacts (some even from an LDAP directory),
had several clients adding contacts, and ended up with some contacts
severely broken. Some contacts I could not delete in the Contacts app of
owncloud 9.0, for some the name was not shown, and some could not be
synchronized with cardbook (thunderbird addon)... the reason was a
broken UID in the vcards, there where special symbols which seem to
break things. I basically exported all contacts (synced them to cardbook
and manually added unsyncable contacts), fixed everything, and
reimported a clean vcard file.
Maybe a similar problem is responsible for your performance problem. I
would probably do a full backup and try what happens with a new
addressbook (deleting the old one) and only a few (manually added)
contacts, to see where the problem really is (the setup or the contacts).

Sorry that I can't really help here, I am not an expert. I can only
suggest the good old trial-and-error way of finding the problem.

Thomas

> Oliver

Re: Contacts unusable slow

Oliver Welter
Am 06.06.2016 um 12:30 schrieb Thomas Keil:

>> Might it be an issue with the format of contacts? I used a vcard import
>> from my old calender....
>
> That is possibly the reason for the not working sync with android at
> least. I also imported old contacts (some even from an LDAP directory),
> had several clients adding contacts, and ended up with some contacts
> severely broken. Some contacts I could not delete in the Contacts app of
> owncloud 9.0, for some the name was not shown, and some could not be
> synchronized with cardbook (thunderbird addon)... the reason was a
> broken UID in the vcards, there where special symbols which seem to
> break things. I basically exported all contacts (synced them to cardbook
> and manually added unsyncable contacts), fixed everything, and
> reimported a clean vcard file.
> Maybe a similar problem is responsible for your performance problem. I
> would probably do a full backup and try what happens with a new
> addressbook (deleting the old one) and only a few (manually added)
> contacts, to see where the problem really is (the setup or the contacts).
So, follow up: Some of the vCard items really looked screwed (multiple
header lines, empty data lines, etc), so I deleted my contacts directly
on the database and synced an emtpy addressbook. I then loaded the
contacts on the phone into the owncloud addressbook and synced to the
server. There seems to be still a problem/limit - I had to sync 4 time
to transfer 317 contacts, each run PUT exact 80 items but finally all
contact are on OC server now and the webui loads within ~5 seconds.

Its not perfect but looks usable now.

Oliver