Diaspora

Marcel Meyer
Hello together,

interessting project, perhaps worth of cooperating?

A decentralized, social network: http://www.joindiaspora.com/

For the german speaking community, this is a short article about it from an
IT-news portal: http://www.golem.de/1005/75092.html

Marcel

Diaspora

Jos Poortvliet
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Marcel Meyer <meyerm at fs.tum.de> wrote:
> Hello together,
>

> interessting project, perhaps worth of cooperating?
>
> A decentralized, social network: http://www.joindiaspora.com/

Pretty website, just 4 dudes, GNU project. Hmmm. We could contact
them... Their ideas seem really similar.

> For the german speaking community, this is a short article about it from an
> IT-news portal: http://www.golem.de/1005/75092.html
>

> Marcel

Diaspora

Bugs Bane
I hope I'm missing something here, but from what I saw on their videos it
looked like there was more of a focus on aggregating all your information
from the various closed social networks, rather than liberating you from
using them altogether. :/

Being decentralised is cool, although I'd love to know how they'll solve the
problem of finding other people to connect with. For all Eben Moglens
otherwise excellent talk calling facebook nothing but webhosting with php
doodads, he misses the point that FaceBook's real unique selling point is a
massive network effect that makes it easy to find people you're not already
in contact with. If they can keep it totally decentralised *and* so that
people can still use it to find contacts they haven't talked to in years,
they'll be onto a real winner.

I'm pretty impressed though that they managed to raise over 100k in under
two weeks for this. That suggests to me that there *is* a strong demand for
secure, private social/cloud services.

I look forward to OwnCloud helping deliver! :D

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Marcel Meyer <meyerm at fs.tum.de> wrote:
> > Hello together,
> >

> > interessting project, perhaps worth of cooperating?
> >
> > A decentralized, social network: http://www.joindiaspora.com/
>
> Pretty website, just 4 dudes, GNU project. Hmmm. We could contact
> them... Their ideas seem really similar.
>
> > For the german speaking community, this is a short article about it from
> an
> > IT-news portal: http://www.golem.de/1005/75092.html
> >

> > Marcel

Diaspora

Jos Poortvliet
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Bugs Bane <bugsbane at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope I'm missing something here, but from what I saw on their videos it
> looked like there was more of a focus on aggregating all your information
> from the various closed social networks, rather than liberating you from
> using them altogether. :/
> Being decentralised is cool, although I'd love to know how they'll solve the
> problem of finding other people to connect with. For all Eben Moglens
> otherwise excellent talk calling facebook nothing but webhosting with php
> doodads, he misses the point that FaceBook's real unique selling point is a
> massive network effect that makes it easy to find people you're not already
> in contact with. If they can keep it totally decentralised *and* so that
> people can still use it to find contacts they haven't talked to in years,
> they'll be onto a real winner.
> I'm pretty impressed though that they managed to raise over 100k in under
> two weeks for this. That suggests to me that there *is* a strong demand for
> secure, private social/cloud services.

Yes, it is a surprise, but less than it would have been a year ago.