Dropbox-like syncing

Rob Hoelz
Hello!

I recently heard about OwnCloud, and I'd like to start using it as a
replacement for Dropbox.  Obviously, this functionality isn't there
yet, but I was hoping to contribute in that area.  What kind of work
has been done for Dropbox-like syncing?  Are there notes on how the
OwnCloud team plans on going about this?

Thanks,
Rob
On Thursday 20 January 2011 23:08:18 Rob Hoelz wrote:
> I recently heard about OwnCloud, and I'd like to start using it as a
> replacement for Dropbox.  Obviously, this functionality isn't there
> yet, but I was hoping to contribute in that area.  What kind of work
> has been done for Dropbox-like syncing?  Are there notes on how the
> OwnCloud team plans on going about this?

I started this, but never got really far: http://gitorious.org/cloudsync

There's also this, which I really have no idea about how well is working, or
what state it is in: http://gitorious.org/owncloud-sync-client

Martin Sandsmark

Re: Dropbox-like syncing

Frank Karlitschek

On 20.01.2011, at 23:08, Rob Hoelz wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I recently heard about OwnCloud, and I'd like to start using it as a
> replacement for Dropbox.  Obviously, this functionality isn't there
> yet, but I was hoping to contribute in that area.  What kind of work
> has been done for Dropbox-like syncing?  Are there notes on how the
> OwnCloud team plans on going about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

The, not yet implemented, plan is to have commandline syncing client with an optional GUI.
The client should:
 1. read a configuration file so see which folders to sync and which owncloud server to use.
 2. mount the owncloud server via fuse or a different tool into a hidden directory.
 3. call a syncing tool like csync to sync between the local directory and the mounted directory
 4. unmount owncloud
 5. write a log-file about the synced files and potential conflicts which the user has to solve.

The client should be as portable as possible of course.
That?s the basic idea. It would be cool if you could help to implement something like this.

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

Re: Dropbox-like syncing

Matthew Dawson-2
On Thursday 20 January 2011 17:08:18 Rob Hoelz wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I recently heard about OwnCloud, and I'd like to start using it as a
> replacement for Dropbox.  Obviously, this functionality isn't there
> yet, but I was hoping to contribute in that area.  What kind of work
> has been done for Dropbox-like syncing?  Are there notes on how the
> OwnCloud team plans on going about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Hey,

I've started working on a custom client + ownCloud plugin to support such functionality.  I haven't uploaded my code so far (its only in the beginning stages), but I can push my git repos to my scratch area if you are interested in taking a look.  My eventual ideal solution would include rsync like file transfer and 2 way push notification of any file changes.

Matthew
On Jan 20, 2011, at 8:22 PM, Matthew Dawson wrote:

> On Thursday 20 January 2011 17:08:18 Rob Hoelz wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I recently heard about OwnCloud, and I'd like to start using it as a
>> replacement for Dropbox.  Obviously, this functionality isn't there
>> yet, but I was hoping to contribute in that area.  What kind of work
>> has been done for Dropbox-like syncing?  Are there notes on how the
>> OwnCloud team plans on going about this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rob
>>

> Hey,
>
> I've started working on a custom client + ownCloud plugin to support such functionality.  I haven't uploaded my code so far (its only in the beginning stages), but I can push my git repos to my scratch area if you are interested in taking a look.  My eventual ideal solution would include rsync like file transfer and 2 way push notification of any file changes.
>
> Matthew

Awesome, I'd definitely like to take a look at that!

What I was thinking was to have a client-side daemon that uses inotify/kqueue to pick up changes to files in a folder.  Using dbus, that daemon can send notifications to interested applications on the user's system (ex. systray, libnotify).  The daemon could also use a socket connection back to an OwnCloud instance to listen for changes that other clients have pushed in.

That last part could be problematic, though.  Since it's a web application, I was thinking we could use Comet or some other long polling technique, but PHP and long polling don't play nice with some web servers.  We could use another daemon running on the web server machine.  How the web application would signal a change to that daemon, I don't know yet.

-Rob

Re: Dropbox-like syncing

Andreas Schneider
On Friday 21 January 2011 03:22:00 Matthew Dawson wrote:

> On Thursday 20 January 2011 17:08:18 Rob Hoelz wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I recently heard about OwnCloud, and I'd like to start using it as a
> > replacement for Dropbox.  Obviously, this functionality isn't there
> > yet, but I was hoping to contribute in that area.  What kind of work
> > has been done for Dropbox-like syncing?  Are there notes on how the
> > OwnCloud team plans on going about this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob
>
> Hey,
>
> I've started working on a custom client + ownCloud plugin to support such
> functionality.  I haven't uploaded my code so far (its only in the
> beginning stages), but I can push my git repos to my scratch area if you
> are interested in taking a look.  My eventual ideal solution would include
> rsync like file transfer and 2 way push notification of any file changes.

You should take a look at http://www.csync.org/ or better
http://www.csync.org/userguide/ It is a two-way synchronization solution
(rsync is one-way).

It has plugin support so it would be possible to add webdav support using
neon.

> Matthew

        -- andreas

Re: Dropbox-like syncing

Matthew Dawson-2
On Friday 21 January 2011 04:46:42 Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > I've started working on a custom client + ownCloud plugin to support such
> > functionality.  I haven't uploaded my code so far (its only in the
> > beginning stages), but I can push my git repos to my scratch area if you
> > are interested in taking a look.  My eventual ideal solution would include
> > rsync like file transfer and 2 way push notification of any file changes.
>
> You should take a look at http://www.csync.org/ or better
> http://www.csync.org/userguide/ It is a two-way synchronization solution
> (rsync is one-way).
rsync the program is a one way transfer system.  However an important part of rsync is its file transfer algorithm, which transmits a minimum amount of information to update a file.  I intend to implement the algorithm for file transfer, not its synchronization algorithm (in fact I cannot use the rsync program itself since with ownCloud I only have access to php).

> It has plugin support so it would be possible to add webdav support using
> neon.
Except I have neither two push file modification, nor can webdav provide the rsync file transfer backend required (at least as far as I know).  If it can I'd use webdav for the file transfer but I still need the push notification support from my plugin.

One of Dropbox's strengths is that your folder is *always* synced with the server.  Any other type of syncing would mean that you have to run manually every so often.  And I really want to avoid very frequent polling as well.

Matthew
On Thursday 20 January 2011 23:32:38 Frank Karlitschek wrote:

> The, not yet implemented, plan is to have commandline syncing client with
> an optional GUI. The client should:
>  1. read a configuration file so see which folders to sync and which
> owncloud server to use. 2. mount the owncloud server via fuse or a
> different tool into a hidden directory. 3. call a syncing tool like csync
> to sync between the local directory and the mounted directory 4. unmount
> owncloud
>  5. write a log-file about the synced files and potential conflicts which
> the user has to solve.
>
> The client should be as portable as possible of course.
> That?s the basic idea. It would be cool if you could help to implement
> something like this.

I already sent a mail to the list writing my proposal to do that. I am
actually implementing it. Akunambol and SyncML is already a solution for this.
I am now working on the client side, and it's a matter of implementing SyncML
interface on ownCloud.

If you are interested in working on this, I could help you explaining you
this.
Basically, the idea is that SyncML is a protocol which is designed exactly for
this purpose, there is awesome and well tested FLOSS software to do that
(which even ubuntu one uses), and Akunambol is a KDE interface for it, which
I'm developing. I've finished making it plugin based, and am working on a
library to easily sync any kind of data to a SyncML server. The work needed
would be to integrate a SyncML server (like funambol) with ownCloud,
eventually falling back to one of the several SyncML PHP libraries that exist
out there. This would allow to sync files, or other pools of data: bookmarks,
configurations, plasmoids...

If you're interested it would be amazing, there is only a little piece of work
that is missing, which I cannot do because of time issues, and which could
bring free syncronization of any data to the KDE/FLOSS world.

Bye,
-Riccardo
On Friday 21 January 2011 15:52:49 Matthew Dawson wrote:
> One of Dropbox's strengths is that your folder is *always* synced with the
> server.  Any other type of syncing would mean that you have to run
> manually every so often.  And I really want to avoid very frequent polling
> as well.

Dropbox uses polling.

--
Martin Sandsmark