Encrypted offsite backup

Sam Hylamia
Hi all,

I recently started using ownCould and immediately came across an issue.
I could not find a suitable way to create offsite encrypted backup. e.g. to dropbox.
I am thinking of implementing a simple way to do this by creating an encrypted zip file and uploading that somewhere else
Did I miss something out there that can do this? Is anyone working on anything like that?

Best,
Sam

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For more information on how this is performed, please read here: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

Re: Encrypted offsite backup

Emil Lefherz

Hi Sam,

Do you mean you want to backup your ownCloud instance?

if yes, I recommend the backup tool duplicati2. It offers versioning, deduplication, asymmetric encryption, all via command line or a web interface, if you want to use that.

duplicati2 offers several backends, including Dropbox. You can also use another ownCloud as storage backend btw, via WebDAV (not as well documented, but you can ask me for my notes if you choose ownCloud instead of Dropbox).

Best,

Emil

On 30.10.18 19:25, Sam Hylamia wrote:
[...]

Carsten Schiefner
Hi Sam,

On 30.10.2018 19:25, Sam Hylamia wrote:
> I recently started using ownCould and immediately came across an issue.
> I could not find a suitable way to create offsite encrypted backup. e.g. to dropbox.
> I am thinking of implementing a simple way to do this by creating an encrypted zip file and uploading that somewhere else
> Did I miss something out there that can do this? Is anyone working on anything like that?

I am quite happily using a ‘BorgBackup’ (https://www.borgbackup.org/)
setup for this.

Best,

        -C.