FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Jan-Christoph Borchardt
There seems to be a real need for a FLOSS alternative to Dropbox in
both GNOME and KDE. Google Summer of Code is approaching and both DEs
have a collaboration tool on their list.

GNOME has ideas for the front-end:
http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2010/Ideas#Other_Ideas
(Collaboration server/client)
KDE focuses more on the back-end:
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#ownCloud

To have a DE-independent alternative to Dropbox (and Ubuntu One for
that matter ?), wouldn?t it be great to collaborate on that project? I
didn?t know if either idea knew about the other, so here?s the update.
:)

FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Mario Đanić
Hi,

I am working with Miriam from GNOME/Fedora to make it a reality
(hopefully for GSoC),
and I have at least several times said that collaboration is the way to go.

Thank you for repeating it, I really think there is a lot of potential
in collaboration.

Cheers,
Mario

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 23:41, Jan-Christoph Borchardt <jan at inquata.com> wrote:

> There seems to be a real need for a FLOSS alternative to Dropbox in
> both GNOME and KDE. Google Summer of Code is approaching and both DEs
> have a collaboration tool on their list.
>
> GNOME has ideas for the front-end:
> http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2010/Ideas#Other_Ideas
> (Collaboration server/client)
> KDE focuses more on the back-end:
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#ownCloud
>
> To have a DE-independent alternative to Dropbox (and Ubuntu One for
> that matter ?), wouldn?t it be great to collaborate on that project? I
> didn?t know if either idea knew about the other, so here?s the update.
> :)

[Usability] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Allan Caeg
Hello Mario,

Do you mean Mairin and her Design Hub? That's a really great idea. The
alternative to dropbox, however, is somewhat different. I think,
Jan-Christoph was referring to the collaboration of GNOME and KDE to create
a FOSS dropbox alternative, which isn't meant exclusively for the
collaboration of designers and other parties involved.

I don't know what's been planned for the Design Hub already, but I think,
it's possible for it to have a FOSS dropbox alternative package as a
dependency. That way, we'll be hitting two birds with one stone :)

Allan

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Mario ?ani? <mario.danic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working with Miriam from GNOME/Fedora to make it a reality
> (hopefully for GSoC),
> and I have at least several times said that collaboration is the way to go.
>
> Thank you for repeating it, I really think there is a lot of potential
> in collaboration.
>
> Cheers,
> Mario
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 23:41, Jan-Christoph Borchardt <jan at inquata.com>
> wrote:
> > There seems to be a real need for a FLOSS alternative to Dropbox in
> > both GNOME and KDE. Google Summer of Code is approaching and both DEs
> > have a collaboration tool on their list.
> >
> > GNOME has ideas for the front-end:
> > http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2010/Ideas#Other_Ideas
> > (Collaboration server/client)
> > KDE focuses more on the back-end:
> > http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#ownCloud
> >
> > To have a DE-independent alternative to Dropbox (and Ubuntu One for
> > that matter ?), wouldn?t it be great to collaborate on that project? I
> > didn?t know if either idea knew about the other, so here?s the update.
> > :)

[Usability] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Máirín Duffy
Hi Allan,

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 09:46 +0800, Allan Caeg wrote:
> Hello Mario,

> Do you mean Mairin and her Design Hub? That's a really great idea. The
> alternative to dropbox, however, is somewhat different. I think,
> Jan-Christoph was referring to the collaboration of GNOME and KDE to
> create a FOSS dropbox alternative, which isn't meant exclusively for
> the collaboration of designers and other parties involved.

He did mean me. He's not going to work on design hub, but on a Dropbox
replacement.

> I don't know what's been planned for the Design Hub already, but I
> think, it's possible for it to have a FOSS dropbox alternative package
> as a dependency. That way, we'll be hitting two birds with one
> stone :)

Yep, both projects should work together but they're definitely separate.

~m

[Usability] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Mario Đanić
> He did mean me. He's not going to work on design hub, but on a Dropbox
> replacement.

Aww sorry for shooting down your name, it was late :) But I did indeed
mean you :)

Cheers,
Mario

FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Frank Karlitschek

On 21.03.2010, at 23:41, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:

> There seems to be a real need for a FLOSS alternative to Dropbox in
> both GNOME and KDE. Google Summer of Code is approaching and both DEs
> have a collaboration tool on their list.
>
> GNOME has ideas for the front-end:
> http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2010/Ideas#Other_Ideas
> (Collaboration server/client)
> KDE focuses more on the back-end:
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#ownCloud
>
> To have a DE-independent alternative to Dropbox (and Ubuntu One for
> that matter ?), wouldn?t it be great to collaborate on that project? I
> didn?t know if either idea knew about the other, so here?s the update.
> :)

Collaboration is always good.
Please note that ownCloud is much more than just a DropBox replacement.

We already have a KDE frontend for the syncing client for KDE GSoC planed.
It would be fantastic if somebody from GNOME would write the GNOME frontend

It would be great if we could make this a shared KDE/GNOME project.

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Mario Đanić
What would be even more awesome is to have a common backend I've been
pushing for so long now :)

Cheers,
Mario

> We already have a KDE frontend for the syncing client for KDE GSoC planed.
> It would be fantastic if somebody from GNOME would write the GNOME frontend
>
> It would be great if we could make this a shared KDE/GNOME project.
>

> Cheers
> Frank
>

> --
> Frank Karlitschek
> karlitschek at kde.org

FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Jan-Christoph Borchardt
Please note that I am neither a developer nor applying for GSoC. I am
just the messenger and was not sure if either project (Design Hub &
ownCloud) knew about the other. ;-)

Allan Caeg put it best:

On 22 March 2010 12:48, Hasanat Kazmi <hasanatkazmi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I plan to work on ownCloud (mentor: Frank) to bring synchronization.
> Initially my plan was to replicate (if not add more features) dropbox in
> owncloud. I see here we can collaborate.
> ownCloud is something more than dropbox, but sync is something which is core
> to the system.
> I think we can (indirectly?) use your software (or libs it uses) to create
> syncing for our system.
> What do you think about it?
> Are you applying in Gnome or KDE?
> Hasanat Kazmi
> +923464362473
>

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt <jan at inquata.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> There seems to be a real need for a FLOSS alternative to Dropbox in
>> both GNOME and KDE. Google Summer of Code is approaching and both DEs
>> have a collaboration tool on their list.
>>
>> GNOME has ideas for the front-end:
>> http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2010/Ideas#Other_Ideas
>> (Collaboration server/client)
>> KDE focuses more on the back-end:
>> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#ownCloud
>>
>> To have a DE-independent alternative to Dropbox (and Ubuntu One for
>> that matter ?), wouldn?t it be great to collaborate on that project? I
>> didn?t know if either idea knew about the other, so here?s the update.
>> :)

[Usability] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Stormy Peters
I think it would be awesome to have a free software equivalent to Dropbox
and even more awesome to have one created by a KDE/GNOME team.

The GNOME Foundation would be interested in hosting the services part. We'd
need to talk about requirements.

Stormy

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Mario ?ani? <mario.danic at gmail.com> wrote:

> What would be even more awesome is to have a common backend I've been
> pushing for so long now :)
>
> Cheers,
> Mario
> > We already have a KDE frontend for the syncing client for KDE GSoC
> planed.
> > It would be fantastic if somebody from GNOME would write the GNOME
> frontend
> >
> > It would be great if we could make this a shared KDE/GNOME project.
> >

> > Cheers
> > Frank
> >

> > --
> > Frank Karlitschek
> > karlitschek at kde.org

[Usability] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Mario Đanić
Stormy,

its very nice to say that GNOME Foundation is willing to host the
services part. My initial talk with Mairin, when we were not aware of
OwnCloud is to use ssh account. But this makes it so much better!

Please also note that OwnCloud is supposed to be more then just plain
Dropbox replacement.

As part of my GSoC work on the GNOME desktop client, I would be more
then willing to evaluate the requirements, document and setup the
server in the best way I know (cache-ing, etc, etc - I do freelance
sysadmin tasks in my "free time". Of course, all this is under the
assumption that I get accepted ;)

Cheers,
Mario

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:23, Stormy Peters <stormy at gnome.org> wrote:

> I think it would be awesome to have a free software equivalent to Dropbox
> and even more awesome to have one created by a KDE/GNOME team.
>
> The GNOME Foundation would be interested in hosting the services part. We'd
> need to talk about requirements.
>
> Stormy
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Mario ?ani? <mario.danic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What would be even more awesome is to have a common backend I've been
>> pushing for so long now :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mario
>> > We already have a KDE frontend for the syncing client for KDE GSoC
>> > planed.
>> > It would be fantastic if somebody from GNOME would write the GNOME
>> > frontend
>> >
>> > It would be great if we could make this a shared KDE/GNOME project.
>> >

>> > Cheers
>> > Frank
>> >

>> > --
>> > Frank Karlitschek
>> > karlitschek at kde.org

[Usability] FLOSS alternative to Dropbox – GNOME + KDE collaboration?

Frank Karlitschek
Hi Stormy,

this sounds great. I think KDE and GNOME should definitely work together here.

Please note that the idea of onwCloud is that everybody can host it individually. A hosted solution is of course also possible.
At the beginning we plan to have a file hosting solution like dropbox, but the idea is to have a lot more features in the future like an individual music server or a photo gallery.

Your offer to host it on the GNOME infrastructure sounds interesting. Do you think this can be done for free for everybody with hosting fees?

On 23.03.2010, at 15:23, Stormy Peters wrote:

> I think it would be awesome to have a free software equivalent to Dropbox and even more awesome to have one created by a KDE/GNOME team.
>
> The GNOME Foundation would be interested in hosting the services part. We'd need to talk about requirements.
>
> Stormy
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Mario ?ani? <mario.danic at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would be even more awesome is to have a common backend I've been
> pushing for so long now :)
>
> Cheers,
> Mario
> > We already have a KDE frontend for the syncing client for KDE GSoC planed.
> > It would be fantastic if somebody from GNOME would write the GNOME frontend
> >
> > It would be great if we could make this a shared KDE/GNOME project.
> >

> > Cheers
> > Frank
> >

> > --
> > Frank Karlitschek
> > karlitschek at kde.org

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>wrote:

> Your offer to host it on the GNOME infrastructure sounds interesting. Do
> you think this can be done for free for everybody with hosting fees?

We don't really know yet. We are going to host Tomboy Online. That should
give us more of an idea of hosting costs. I'd expect something like a
Dropbox to have much higher costs but hopefully we can predict them from
Tomboy.

Then we'll have to explore different ways of getting enough revenue to cover
costs.

Stormy

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 09:30 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:

> We don't really know yet. We are going to host Tomboy Online. That
> should give us more of an idea of hosting costs. I'd expect something
> like a Dropbox to have much higher costs but hopefully we can predict
> them from Tomboy.
>
> Then we'll have to explore different ways of getting enough revenue to
> cover costs.

This kind of concern is why some of us at the hackfest had suggested the
idea that this system could work with any existing shell account over
SSH. For example, if I use GNOME, but I'm not a GNOME contributor - I
might have a shell account with a hosting company like dreamhost.com or
something like that. If the local storage is git (which is possible, we
control the client side with the software), if you scp or rsync the .git
directories you've got 'version control' without needing to install git
on the remote server.

~m