Quantcast

Failed to upgrade yet again

Chris Green
I seem to have frequent problems with OwnCloud upgrades.

I run my OwnCloud server on a virtual server running Ubuntu 14.04.

I use the OwnCloud repositories at:-

    http://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/stable/Ubuntu_14.04/

I'm sure I did set up the signatures correctly when I first set it up
but now I'm getting the following error:-

    W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
    is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
    http://download.owncloud.org  Release: The following signatures
    couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
    NO_PUBKEY 47AE7F72479BC94B

I went to owncloud.org to try and sort this out and clicked on the
download link, this just gives me a blank page:-

    https://owncloud.org/install/

Why is OwnCloud so full of these little annoyances!  :-)

--
Chris Green

Re: Failed to upgrade yet again

Chris Green
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 03:53:05PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> I seem to have frequent problems with OwnCloud upgrades.
>
> I run my OwnCloud server on a virtual server running Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> I use the OwnCloud repositories at:-
>
>     http://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/stable/Ubuntu_14.04/
>
> I'm sure I did set up the signatures correctly when I first set it up
> but now I'm getting the following error:-
>
>     W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
>     is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
>     http://download.owncloud.org  Release: The following signatures
>     couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
>     NO_PUBKEY 47AE7F72479BC94B
>
> I went to owncloud.org to try and sort this out and clicked on the
> download link, this just gives me a blank page:-
>
>     https://owncloud.org/install/
>
> Why is OwnCloud so full of these little annoyances!  :-)

After deleting the OwnCloud key and the OwnCloud links in /etc/apt and
re-installing them all seems to be well again.  However I still do
wonder why it seems to be only OwnCloud that gives me these problems.
I have a few other non-Ubuntu repositories (e.g. syncthing and
virtualbox) and they 'just work' all the time.

... and now it sort of works but ends up saying:-

    Leaving server in maintenance mode. Please run occ upgrade manually.

    See https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.1/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html

This is a real pain, I might as well have done the whole thing manually.

... and the link aboe *doesn't* tell me what to do, it says it should
have worked automatically.  Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

--
Chris Green

Re: Failed to upgrade yet again

Jered Floyd

Chris,

You should not be having repository errors, but it sounds like you've resolved this.

The maintenance mode issue is my biggest pet peeve with the Debian packaging... if it's going to upgrade, it should complete the upgrade!  I can't think of any rational reason why this should not be done with the post-inst scripts.  The documentation suggests the problem is that it "could take a long time," but that's irrelevant because the server is completely inaccessible until this is done.

In case you haven't figured it out from the doc, you need to do this:
   sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade
   sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mode --off

--Jered

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:38:55AM -0500, Jered Floyd wrote:

> Chris,
>
> You should not be having repository errors, but it sounds like you've resolved this.

Yes, resolved, but as I said OwnCloud seems to do this rather often.

> The maintenance mode issue is my biggest pet peeve with the Debian packaging...
> if it's going to upgrade, it should complete the upgrade! I can't think
> of any rational reason why this should not be done with the post-inst scripts.
> The documentation suggests the problem is that it "could take a long time,"
> but that's irrelevant because the server is completely inaccessible until
> this is done.
>
> In case you haven't figured it out from the doc, you need to do this:
>    sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade
>    sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mode --off

Yes, thanks.  However this only works of course if you run it in the
directory where the occ script is.

I agree, if it going to be run by 'apt-get upgrade' then it should do
it all.  Again, everyone else seem to manage it so why not OwnCloud?

--
Chris Green

Re: Failed to upgrade yet again

mdsanmdsajdsa

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:26:17AM -0700, mdsanmdsajdsa wrote:

> > The maintenance mode issue is my biggest pet peeve with the Debian
> packaging... if it's going to upgrade, it should complete the upgrade!  I
> can't think of any rational reason why this should not be done with the
> post-inst scripts.  The documentation suggests the problem is that it "could
> take a long time," but that's irrelevant because the server is completely
> inaccessible until this is done.
>
> Quoting the following blogpost:
>
> > Second, the Linux packages will show a different upgrade behavior. Linux
> > packages before 8.2 send an existing ownCloud server into maintenance
> > mode, install the new code base, perform occ upgrade on behalf of the
> > system administrator, then exit out of maintenance mode. This often came
> > unexpected to the admin and is in general not safe as an unattended
> > install. Third party apps are also likely to break this automated process.
> >
> > Linux packages 8.2 and up change an existing ownCloud server into
> > maintenance mode, install the new code base, and leave the server in
> > maintenance mode. It is up to the system administrator to finalize the
> > upgrade.
>
> https://owncloud.org/blog/upgrading-to-owncloud-server-8-2/

Well in that case they should say that there is no point at all in
using the Owncloud repositories.

Either make it completely manual or do it all.

A lot of OwnCloud users will be like me, my server is just for me and
one or two family members.  A significant downtime is not important,
ease of use (to me, the 'administrator') is important.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:21:54AM -0700, mdsanmdsajdsa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > However I still do wonder why it seems to be only OwnCloud that gives me
> > these problems.
>
> Repository keys where changed in the past, thats why you need to re-import
> the new key.

Yes, but why do they change so often?  No other software I use seems
to change so often, in fact most of them seem to keep their keys up to
date somehow.

> > ... and the link aboe *doesn't* tell me what to do, it says it should have
> > worked automatically.  Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!
>
> The link is pointing you to
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.1/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html
> which has a "Using your Linux package manager with our official ownCloud
> repositories. This is the recommended method." text pointing you to:
>
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.1/admin_manual/maintenance/package_upgrade.html
>
> giving you all needed steps when using the packages. How did you came to the
> conclusion that the link above "*doesn't* tell you what to do" ?

It gives me *all* the needed steps.  The partial upgrade done by
apt-get means that quite a few steps have been done already.

As said in other threads the apt-get upgrade should either do it all
or shouldn't be there at all.  I wouldn't be too unhappy about going
thrrough the whole manual upgrade but this sort of half-way house is
just confusing.