Filestorage for applications

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filestorage for applications

Robin Appelman
I was thinking that it might be nice to provide a simple way for
applications to store files on your ownCloud server,
just like ocs' private attributes allow the applications to store
key-value pairs.

That way it would be easy to, for example, place the savegames in the
cloud for a game or syncronise the language files you're working with
in parly between 2 pc's


I think the best way to do this would to put it in the ocs
specification so apps can use it in a simlilair way as the private
attributes.

 - Robin Appelman

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filestorage for applications

Harald Sitter
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Robin Appelman <icewind1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the best way to do this would to put it in the ocs
> specification so apps can use it in a simlilair way as the private
> attributes.

App <-> Akonadi <-> ownCloud?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filestorage for applications

Frank Karlitschek

On 24.08.2010, at 12:18, Harald Sitter wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Robin Appelman <icewind1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the best way to do this would to put it in the ocs
>> specification so apps can use it in a simlilair way as the private
>> attributes.
>
> App <-> Akonadi <-> ownCloud?

I think Akonadi is probably not the best solution to store and access real files which might be big.

@Robin: What is the difference to storing the files via WebDAV on an "Apps" Directory?

Cheers
Frank


--
Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filestorage for applications

Robin Appelman
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:47, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org> wrote:
> @Robin: What is the difference to storing the files via WebDAV on an "Apps" Directory?

The app shouldn't have to worry where the file is stored on the server
or even where the server is.
It would be nice if an app can just say "store this file" and not
having to worry about the details

 - Robin Appelman

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filestorage for applications

Frank Karlitschek

On 24.08.2010, at 18:22, Robin Appelman wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:47, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org> wrote:
>> @Robin: What is the difference to storing the files via WebDAV on an "Apps" Directory?
>
> The app shouldn't have to worry where the file is stored on the server
> or even where the server is.
> It would be nice if an app can just say "store this file" and not
> having to worry about the details
>
> - Robin Appelman


True.
Good idea.


--
Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filestorage for applications

Martin Sandsmark
In reply to this post by Robin Appelman
On Tuesday 24. August 2010 12.14.04 Robin Appelman wrote:
> I think the best way to do this would to put it in the ocs
> specification so apps can use it in a simlilair way as the private
> attributes.

Why not simply use the privatedata API? (get from/post to
applicationname/filename)?

--
Martin T. Sandsmark