First installation, questions, remarks

Gaël Beaudoin
Hi all,

I've just installed owncloud and have a few questions / remarks. Please
forgive me if  some of them sounds obvious / stupid, but I'm a Java/J2EE
developer and I've not read nor written php for a long, lonnng time!

But I want to contribute and I'm willing to talk php again :)

Anyway, there we go :

 - The path to the css stylesheet is wrong in the pages other than the main
one. Could it be a configuration error on my part ?
 - I've added some stuff in config.php. For example :

$DOCUMENTROOT='/var/www/owncloud/htdocs/'; or else the database (sqlite)
cannot be created.
 - The settings page overwrite the config.php file without keeping my own
modifications. I guess there should be some sort of md5sum somewhere to avoid
this ? Like refuse to write the config if the file has been changed since last
generation ?
 - Sometimes I select a file to upload but it's not uploaded. Sometimes I
manage to trigger it. Maybe I'm not doing this corerctly, but at least I'd say
this is not obvious how to use it.
 - I've started to read the code and I'm surprised there are a lot of if/else
for mysql support (in lib_base.pgp for example). Couldn't we use an
abstraction layer ? I'd like to add postgresql support, but I'm worried it
won't be maintainable if we do not use some sort of abstraction layer and / or
an ORM ?
 - the initial tables are not created when the sqlite database is created.
They should be I guess ?

I've not find a bug tracker, but if I should fill them, let me know.

Do owncloud uses some sort of php framework ?

Other than that, it works ! :D

Thanks!
Ga?l

First installation, questions, remarks

Robin Appelman
On Monday 05 April 2010 14:17:50 Ga?l Beaudoin wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi

> I've just installed owncloud and have a few questions / remarks. Please
> forgive me if  some of them sounds obvious / stupid, but I'm a Java/J2EE
> developer and I've not read nor written php for a long, lonnng time!
>
> But I want to contribute and I'm willing to talk php again :)
any contribution is welcome

> Anyway, there we go :
>
>  - The path to the css stylesheet is wrong in the pages other than the main
> one. Could it be a configuration error on my part ?
>  - I've added some stuff in config.php. For example :
>
> $DOCUMENTROOT='/var/www/owncloud/htdocs/'; or else the database (sqlite)
> cannot be created.
>  - The settings page overwrite the config.php file without keeping my own
> modifications. I guess there should be some sort of md5sum somewhere to
> avoid this ? Like refuse to write the config if the file has been changed
> since last generation ?
Maybe parsing the current config.php to check what values are defined there, and
write the same values back.
>  - Sometimes I select a file to upload but it's not uploaded. Sometimes I
> manage to trigger it. Maybe I'm not doing this corerctly, but at least I'd
> say this is not obvious how to use it.
I think that would be a problem with the maximum upload size of php, one of
the things I'm currently working on is giving an error message for that.
>  - I've started to read the code and I'm surprised there are a lot of
> if/else for mysql support (in lib_base.pgp for example). Couldn't we use
> an abstraction layer ? I'd like to add postgresql support, but I'm worried
> it won't be maintainable if we do not use some sort of abstraction layer
> and / or an ORM ?
that is the current *abstraction layer* but feel free to change it to
something better
>  - the initial tables are not created when the sqlite database is created.
> They should be I guess ?
>
> I've not find a bug tracker, but if I should fill them, let me know.
>
> Do owncloud uses some sort of php framework ?
No, but it uses some php libraries for things like webdav