[GSoC 2011] syncing client

Miha Čančula
I saw your idea at the wiki page, and I would be very interested to write a
client for ownCloud. I have followed its development closely and I am
already using it at home, but unfortunately I do not have any experience
with PHP. I do however have some experience with C++, python and KDE/Qt,
which would be good languages for a desktop client.

I did not take a look at the existing projects yet, because I would like to
know first how much interest there really is for this and if anyone is
already working or is planning to work on such a project.

Regards,
Miha ?an?ula

[GSoC 2011] syncing client

Martín Marcucci
2011/1/24 Miha ?an?ula <miha.cancula at gmail.com>

> I saw your idea at the wiki page, and I would be very interested to write a client for
> ownCloud. I have followed its development closely and I am already using it at home, but
> unfortunately I do not have any experience with PHP. I do however have some
> xperience with C++, python and KDE/Qt, which would be good languages for a desktop
> client.

Hi list, I'm interested in having dropbox style syncing. I want to
collaborate, I have experience with PHP and ?C++ very little with QT
and python.
I think the way to go is make the client use inotify to monitor file
system changes and make a quick upload. The client might be a command
line utility or a daemon written in C or C++ to be tiny and eat little
resources. It might be able to be controlled by a GUI here can be QT
or GTK or FLTK and written in java, c, c++ python,etc...
If the core code of the daemon is based in non portable libraries, it
will be very difficult to port the client to other platforms.

I want to collaborate in one of the clients. Can the ones that are
programming a client upload the code somewhere so the rest of us can
take a look of it.
May be then they can make an entry in the wiki like Clients, a tiny
description and what is missing and the links to the repository, so
other developers can take ?a look and collaborate.

Regards
R. Martin Marcucci? ? ( MarkU )

Re: [GSoC 2011] syncing client

Robin Appelman
On Tuesday 25 January 2011 09:36:47 Mart?n Marcucci wrote:

> 2011/1/24 Miha ?an?ula <miha.cancula at gmail.com>
>
> > I saw your idea at the wiki page, and I would be very interested to
> > write a client for ownCloud. I have followed its development closely
> > and I am already using it at home, but unfortunately I do not have any
> > experience with PHP. I do however have some xperience with C++, python
> > and KDE/Qt, which would be good languages for a desktop client.
>
> Hi list, I'm interested in having dropbox style syncing. I want to
> collaborate, I have experience with PHP and  C++ very little with QT
> and python.
> I think the way to go is make the client use inotify to monitor file
> system changes and make a quick upload.
If Qt is going to be used for the client, using QFileSystemWatcher is probably
the best, it's portable across operating systems and uses features that the OS
offers like inotify.
But more difficult would be watching for changes on the remote server, there are
a couple of ways to do that but all seem to have their downsides
> The client might be a command
> line utility or a daemon written in C or C++ to be tiny and eat little
> resources. It might be able to be controlled by a GUI here can be QT
> or GTK or FLTK and written in java, c, c++ python,etc...
> If the core code of the daemon is based in non portable libraries, it
> will be very difficult to port the client to other platforms.
Splitting the core and gui is a good idea imo.

> I want to collaborate in one of the clients. Can the ones that are
> programming a client upload the code somewhere so the rest of us can
> take a look of it.
> May be then they can make an entry in the wiki like Clients, a tiny
> description and what is missing and the links to the repository, so
> other developers can take  a look and collaborate.
afaik there are 2 unfinised projects:
http://gitorious.org/cloudsync a more general syncing client that uses kio and
kdirwatch but kdirwatch doesn't work good with kio slaves.

http://gitorious.org/owncloud-sync-client which is exactly as the name says it
is but not yet in a working state from what I've heared

> Regards
> --
> R. Martin Marcucci    ( MarkU )

-- Robin Appelman

[GSoC 2011] syncing client

Maxime Côté
Hi all,

I'm one of those who develop this client:
http://gitorious.org/owncloud-sync-client and I'm still working on it, even
thought not as much as I would like because of school. It's nearly finish,
the UI is designed, the core mechanic is coded and working but the UI is non
working and I haven't find a way (still searching) to send the data to the
server easily and securely. It's written in C++ with Qt and a bit of Python
(mostly mercurial command) and work with mercurial to provide versioning of
files. The main mechanic is pretty simple: the user enter some files (or
folders) to sync and a interval for syncing (1 min, 5min, 10 min etc), after
that the client start a cron like daemon to send data over to the ownCloud
server. I know it's may not be the best way to do this, but it's the way we
were seeing it.

Cheers
Maxime

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Robin Appelman <icewind1991 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 January 2011 09:36:47 Mart?n Marcucci wrote:
> > 2011/1/24 Miha ?an?ula <miha.cancula at gmail.com>
> >
> > > I saw your idea at the wiki page, and I would be very interested to
> > > write a client for ownCloud. I have followed its development closely
> > > and I am already using it at home, but unfortunately I do not have any
> > > experience with PHP. I do however have some xperience with C++, python
> > > and KDE/Qt, which would be good languages for a desktop client.
> >
> > Hi list, I'm interested in having dropbox style syncing. I want to
> > collaborate, I have experience with PHP and  C++ very little with QT
> > and python.
> > I think the way to go is make the client use inotify to monitor file
> > system changes and make a quick upload.
> If Qt is going to be used for the client, using QFileSystemWatcher is
> probably
> the best, it's portable across operating systems and uses features that the
> OS
> offers like inotify.
> But more difficult would be watching for changes on the remote server,
> there are
> a couple of ways to do that but all seem to have their downsides
> > The client might be a command
> > line utility or a daemon written in C or C++ to be tiny and eat little
> > resources. It might be able to be controlled by a GUI here can be QT
> > or GTK or FLTK and written in java, c, c++ python,etc...
> > If the core code of the daemon is based in non portable libraries, it
> > will be very difficult to port the client to other platforms.
> Splitting the core and gui is a good idea imo.
> >
> > I want to collaborate in one of the clients. Can the ones that are
> > programming a client upload the code somewhere so the rest of us can
> > take a look of it.
> > May be then they can make an entry in the wiki like Clients, a tiny
> > description and what is missing and the links to the repository, so
> > other developers can take  a look and collaborate.
> afaik there are 2 unfinised projects:
> http://gitorious.org/cloudsync a more general syncing client that uses kio
> and
> kdirwatch but kdirwatch doesn't work good with kio slaves.
>
> http://gitorious.org/owncloud-sync-client which is exactly as the name
> says it
> is but not yet in a working state from what I've heared
> >
> > Regards
> > --
> > R. Martin Marcucci    ( MarkU )
>
> -- Robin Appelman

Re: [GSoC 2011] syncing client

Maxime Côté
2011/1/25 Fabio Alessandro Locati <flocati at grimp.eu>

>   Someone (Riccardo Iaconelli) proposed SyncML ;)

True, I haven't read all my mail before ;) I'm now searching info about it
and probably will play with it tonight

Cheers
Maxime

Re: [GSoC 2011] syncing client

Miha Čančula
2011/1/25 Maxime C?t? <cote.maxime1 at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of those who develop this client:
> http://gitorious.org/owncloud-sync-client and I'm still working on it,
> even thought not as much as I would like because of school. It's nearly
> finish, the UI is designed, the core mechanic is coded and working but the
> UI is non working and I haven't find a way (still searching) to send the
> data to the server easily and securely. It's written in C++ with Qt and a
> bit of Python (mostly mercurial command) and work with mercurial to provide
> versioning of files. The main mechanic is pretty simple: the user enter some
> files (or folders) to sync and a interval for syncing (1 min, 5min, 10 min
> etc), after that the client start a cron like daemon to send data over to
> the ownCloud server. I know it's may not be the best way to do this, but
> it's the way we were seeing it.

I'd like to know more about this one, could you write something describing
its current state, what works and what doesn't? I'll check it out myself but
I'm a little short on time this week. Also, does it only work one-way (only
push to server) as you described it?

Re: [GSoC 2011] syncing client

Riccardo Iaconelli
On Tuesday 25 January 2011 15:20:45 Maxime C?t? wrote:
> 2011/1/25 Fabio Alessandro Locati <flocati at grimp.eu>
>
> >   Someone (Riccardo Iaconelli) proposed SyncML ;)
>
> True, I haven't read all my mail before ;) I'm now searching info about it
> and probably will play with it tonight

Please, please, if you have anything you want to discuss, please get in touch
with me, or better yet, with the mailing list akunambol at kde.org.
There is just so much stuff to be gained from there... the only needed thing
would be to implement SyncML API on the server, and then you can sync files,
music, and much much else to a pletora of different devices completely
seamlessly.
I'm working on an API (which is shaping up nicely) to allow creation of sync
plugins (to sync any kind of data) dead-easy.

We have an enormous potential here, let's not waste it, and let's finish it
before everybody has something similar!

Bye,
-Riccardo