GSoC idea: syncing client for Android

Silvère Lestang
Hi all,
I would like to work on ownCloud for the GSoC as this project really
interested me, but I have little knowledge of C++/Qt and the proposal of a
syncing client for KDE is already taken.
I think that a syncing client for another platform can be good idea and will
make ownCloud less KDE centric. I know quite well Java for using it in many
modules at the Uni and I want to make a Android application but never find a
good idea of app to make. So I would like to develop an ownCloud syncing
client for Android platform as a GSoC project.

The number of Android devices is currently increasing rapidly and will
certainly explode in the incoming months/years, making the Android platform
a relevant choice to bring ownCloud to a maximum of users.
Furthermore mobile device have typically a little of storage making
difficult to keep in it a lot of files but as you always have it with you,
it's the perfect device to access all your data wherever you are. So the
Android syncing client could download files only on request (e.g. from your
mobile, you browse your files which are store on your ownCloud server and
when you find the one that you want, the client download it) and upload only
when certain rules are follow (e.g. upload all my new files to the server
only when I am connect with wifi). I need to think more about the uniqueness
of the mobile platform and how we can handle them but I think I can make it.

Do you think my idea is good? Do you think it's can work as a GSoC project?
I am conscious than I need to find a mentor with knowledge of the Android
platform and that most people working on ownCloud are from the KDE
community, where can I find a mentor? (Android dev mailing list?)
I am also conscious that I start to think about this quite late as the
deadline for student application is Friday of this week but it was difficult
to me devote time to this because of the Uni.

Cheers,

Silv?re

GSoC idea: syncing client for Android

Ester Sánchez
Hi,

If you need help doing Android stuff, I can help you ^^
Also I think your idea is a good one, I could do also an iPhone client
if the rest of the people agrees.

Cheers!

El 06/04/2010, a las 17:46, Silv?re Lestang escribi?:

> Hi all,
> I would like to work on ownCloud for the GSoC as this project really
> interested me, but I have little knowledge of C++/Qt and the
> proposal of a syncing client for KDE is already taken.
> I think that a syncing client for another platform can be good idea
> and will make ownCloud less KDE centric. I know quite well Java for
> using it in many modules at the Uni and I want to make a Android
> application but never find a good idea of app to make. So I would
> like to develop an ownCloud syncing client for Android platform as a
> GSoC project.
>
> The number of Android devices is currently increasing rapidly and
> will certainly explode in the incoming months/years, making the
> Android platform a relevant choice to bring ownCloud to a maximum of
> users.
> Furthermore mobile device have typically a little of storage making
> difficult to keep in it a lot of files but as you always have it
> with you, it's the perfect device to access all your data wherever
> you are. So the Android syncing client could download files only on
> request (e.g. from your mobile, you browse your files which are
> store on your ownCloud server and when you find the one that you
> want, the client download it) and upload only when certain rules are
> follow (e.g. upload all my new files to the server only when I am
> connect with wifi). I need to think more about the uniqueness of the
> mobile platform and how we can handle them but I think I can make it.
>
> Do you think my idea is good? Do you think it's can work as a GSoC
> project?
> I am conscious than I need to find a mentor with knowledge of the
> Android platform and that most people working on ownCloud are from
> the KDE community, where can I find a mentor? (Android dev mailing
> list?)
> I am also conscious that I start to think about this quite late as
> the deadline for student application is Friday of this week but it
> was difficult to me devote time to this because of the Uni.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Silv?re

GSoC idea: syncing client for Android

Frank Karlitschek
Hi,

I think an Android and an iPhone client would be very useful.
So full support from my side. :-)

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

GSoC idea: syncing client for Android

Ester Sánchez
Thanks Frank,

I'll start doing something when i get holidays xD
I'm full of work at this moment, I haven't try owncloud at home yet :(

Cheers,
Ester.

El 06/04/2010, a las 18:44, Frank Karlitschek escribi?:

> Hi,
>
> I think an Android and an iPhone client would be very useful.
> So full support from my side. :-)
>
> Cheers
> Frank
>

> On 06.04.2010, at 18:10, Ester Sanchez de Vera wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you need help doing Android stuff, I can help you ^^
>> Also I think your idea is a good one, I could do also an iPhone
>> client
>> if the rest of the people agrees.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>

>> El 06/04/2010, a las 17:46, Silv?re Lestang escribi?:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I would like to work on ownCloud for the GSoC as this project really
>>> interested me, but I have little knowledge of C++/Qt and the
>>> proposal of a syncing client for KDE is already taken.
>>> I think that a syncing client for another platform can be good idea
>>> and will make ownCloud less KDE centric. I know quite well Java for
>>> using it in many modules at the Uni and I want to make a Android
>>> application but never find a good idea of app to make. So I would
>>> like to develop an ownCloud syncing client for Android platform as a
>>> GSoC project.
>>>
>>> The number of Android devices is currently increasing rapidly and
>>> will certainly explode in the incoming months/years, making the
>>> Android platform a relevant choice to bring ownCloud to a maximum of
>>> users.
>>> Furthermore mobile device have typically a little of storage making
>>> difficult to keep in it a lot of files but as you always have it
>>> with you, it's the perfect device to access all your data wherever
>>> you are. So the Android syncing client could download files only on
>>> request (e.g. from your mobile, you browse your files which are
>>> store on your ownCloud server and when you find the one that you
>>> want, the client download it) and upload only when certain rules are
>>> follow (e.g. upload all my new files to the server only when I am
>>> connect with wifi). I need to think more about the uniqueness of the
>>> mobile platform and how we can handle them but I think I can make
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Do you think my idea is good? Do you think it's can work as a GSoC
>>> project?
>>> I am conscious than I need to find a mentor with knowledge of the
>>> Android platform and that most people working on ownCloud are from
>>> the KDE community, where can I find a mentor? (Android dev mailing
>>> list?)
>>> I am also conscious that I start to think about this quite late as
>>> the deadline for student application is Friday of this week but it
>>> was difficult to me devote time to this because of the Uni.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Silv?re

> Frank Karlitschek
> karlitschek at kde.org

GSoC idea: syncing client for Android

Ester Sánchez
Let me see if I can be your mentor first xD
I've done some apps for Android, but I don't know if I can be a
"mentor". Anyway, If I'm not your mentor, I can help you too ;)

El 07/04/2010, a las 14:04, Silv?re Lestang escribi?:

> [...]
> > want, the client download it) and upload only when certain rules are
> > follow (e.g. upload all my new files to the server only when I am
> > connect with wifi). I need to think more about the uniqueness of the
> > mobile platform and how we can handle them but I think I can make
> it.
> >
> > Do you think my idea is good? Do you think it's can work as a GSoC
> > project?
> > I am conscious than I need to find a mentor with knowledge of the
> > Android platform and that most people working on ownCloud are from
> > the KDE community, where can I find a mentor? (Android dev mailing
> > list?)
> > I am also conscious that I start to think about this quite late as
> > the deadline for student application is Friday of this week but it
> > was difficult to me devote time to this because of the Uni.

Hi Hasanat,
not sure than the funambol solution is the better way to do it as they use
their own communication protocol between the client and the server. I think
the idea of Frank to use WebDAV is better and will allow several syncing
client to be create in the same time as WebDAV is already implemented for
several platforms and well documented.
In any case, if I am selected, I'll obviously communicate with the other
student selected.

Cheers,
Silv?re

2010/4/6 Hasanat Kazmi <hasanatkazmi at gmail.com>

> [...]
> only
> > when certain rules are follow (e.g. upload all my new files to the server
> > only when I am connect with wifi). I need to think more about the
> uniqueness
> > of the mobile platform and how we can handle them but I think I can make
> it.
> >
> > Do you think my idea is good? Do you think it's can work as a GSoC
> project?
> > I am conscious than I need to find a mentor with knowledge of the Android
> > platform and that most people working on ownCloud are from the KDE
> > community, where can I find a mentor? (Android dev mailing list?)
> > I am also conscious that I start to think about this quite late as the
> > deadline for student application is Friday of this week but it was
> difficult
> > to me devote time to this because of the Uni.

Maxime Côté-2
2010/4/7 Silv?re Lestang <silvere.lestang at gmail.com>

> Hi Hasanat,
> not sure than the funambol solution is the better way to do it as they use
> their own communication protocol between the client and the server. I think
> the idea of Frank to use WebDAV is better and will allow several syncing
> client to be create in the same time as WebDAV is already implemented for
> several platforms and well documented.
> In any case, if I am selected, I'll obviously communicate with the other
> student selected.
>
> Cheers,
> Silv?re

I am the other student who would like to work on the syncing client for PC.
If we are chosen I'd like to work with you to be able to define some
"general" configuration that would be use by both client, that way it be
easier to use the two of them as they will be configure and use the same
way.

Cheers
Maxime

GSoC idea: syncing client for Android

Silvère Lestang
Hi all,
I apply to the GSoC, my proposal is here:
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/silverelestang/t127065774492
Now I have to wait and see whats happen.

Silv?re