Hate to say it but . . .

Vince D. Kimball
I upgraded to client 1.2.5 yesterday and probably two-thirds of my
synchronized files had conflict files generated for them on my Owncloud
5.0.5 server.  I'm the only user on this server and I only change files on
one client at a time so it seems strange to me that I should ever have a
conflict file generated at all.  Looking at the conflict files that were
generated, I can see no pattern to them whatsoever.  Files that have not
changed in days or weeks have conflict files generated on the server.  It
would seem to me that there has to be a problem with the sync algorithm.

It has become clear to me that this issue is too complicated to be
reproduced in the normal way.  It just doesn't seem realistic for ordinary
users to have copies of every client and every server from before and
after every upgrade so that they can re-run each upgrade with logging
enabled.  Unless the clients and server automatically generate some type
of log when a conflict file is generated, I doubt this problem will ever
be truly solved.

I don't doubt that the Owncloud developers want to resolve this issue, but
as far as I can see, there is no way to realistically reproduce the issue
in the way we as users have been asked to do.

I can still use Owncloud for personal use.  As my primary use of Owncloud
is the file sync feature, I'll just have to remember to create a new
folder after every upgrade.

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Karim Geiger
On 04/26/2013 04:14 AM, Vince D. Kimball wrote:

> I upgraded to client 1.2.5 yesterday and probably two-thirds of my
> synchronized files had conflict files generated for them on my Owncloud
> 5.0.5 server.  I'm the only user on this server and I only change files on
> one client at a time so it seems strange to me that I should ever have a
> conflict file generated at all.  Looking at the conflict files that were
> generated, I can see no pattern to them whatsoever.  Files that have not
> changed in days or weeks have conflict files generated on the server.  It
> would seem to me that there has to be a problem with the sync algorithm.
>
> It has become clear to me that this issue is too complicated to be
> reproduced in the normal way.  It just doesn't seem realistic for ordinary
> users to have copies of every client and every server from before and
> after every upgrade so that they can re-run each upgrade with logging
> enabled.  Unless the clients and server automatically generate some type
> of log when a conflict file is generated, I doubt this problem will ever
> be truly solved.
>
> I don't doubt that the Owncloud developers want to resolve this issue, but
> as far as I can see, there is no way to realistically reproduce the issue
> in the way we as users have been asked to do.
>
> I can still use Owncloud for personal use.  As my primary use of Owncloud
> is the file sync feature, I'll just have to remember to create a new
> folder after every upgrade.
I've experienced the same issue as described above but I don't know
exactly when it happed. I'm also using the desktop-client but for two
PCs: A Mac and a Linux-based system.

The first time I recognized this issue the ownCloud WebApp just updated
itself to 5.0.4 (as far as I know).

Regards

Karim

--
Karim Geiger
Auszubildender Fachinformatiker AE

B1 Systems GmbH

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Arman Khalatyan-2

I had same the problem when server and client time is outof sync.
Please test if your server time and clients time in sync.
Hopes it helps.
Arman.

On Apr 26, 2013 8:13 AM, "Karim Geiger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/26/2013 04:14 AM, Vince D. Kimball wrote:
> I upgraded to client 1.2.5 yesterday and probably two-thirds of my
> synchronized files had conflict files generated for them on my Owncloud
> 5.0.5 server.  I'm the only user on this server and I only change files on
> one client at a time so it seems strange to me that I should ever have a
> conflict file generated at all.  Looking at the conflict files that were
> generated, I can see no pattern to them whatsoever.  Files that have not
> changed in days or weeks have conflict files generated on the server.  It
> would seem to me that there has to be a problem with the sync algorithm.
>
> It has become clear to me that this issue is too complicated to be
> reproduced in the normal way.  It just doesn't seem realistic for ordinary
> users to have copies of every client and every server from before and
> after every upgrade so that they can re-run each upgrade with logging
> enabled.  Unless the clients and server automatically generate some type
> of log when a conflict file is generated, I doubt this problem will ever
> be truly solved.
>
> I don't doubt that the Owncloud developers want to resolve this issue, but
> as far as I can see, there is no way to realistically reproduce the issue
> in the way we as users have been asked to do.
>
> I can still use Owncloud for personal use.  As my primary use of Owncloud
> is the file sync feature, I'll just have to remember to create a new
> folder after every upgrade.

I've experienced the same issue as described above but I don't know
exactly when it happed. I'm also using the desktop-client but for two
PCs: A Mac and a Linux-based system.

The first time I recognized this issue the ownCloud WebApp just updated
itself to 5.0.4 (as far as I know).

Regards

Karim

--
Karim Geiger
Auszubildender Fachinformatiker AE

B1 Systems GmbH

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

hemathor
i have the exact same experience with the exact same use case almost every time i update either the owncloud client or the owncloud server.
it is extremely annoying to delete all the conflict files again and again, sometimes thousands of them, one each minute or so.

until now, i circumvented that problem by creating new sync folders with each update and copy all relevant files to the new folder and delete the old one.
but since this sucks big time, costs a lot of time and nerves and i alraedy have a working sync alternative with dropbox+encfs and unison, i decided to end my sync experience with owncloud at least for a while before i try again...

and then there is the issue of deleting a file on the client, and with the next sync the deleted file appears again at the client instead of being deleted on the server... wtf? eternal files? nice idea, but that's not what i wanted...

i had so much hope for owncloud as a sync alternative, but i don't see it being reliable any time soon.

maybe syncinc shouldn't be done with webdav and php, but with real software written in a real programming language... ;)

greetings... and thanks for trying real hard! i can imagine you do!

e-mails are like postcards! everyone can read them...

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Daniel Molkentin

Am 26.04.2013 um 11:57 schrieb hemathor:

i have the exact same experience with the exact same use case almost every time i update either the owncloud client or the owncloud server.
it is extremely annoying to delete all the conflict files again and again, sometimes thousands of them, one each minute or so.

Guys, are you really sure this happens when updating the client? Or is it only that you check after updating it? The client does nothing special after an upgrade, so it would be a big surprise if the conflicts were upgrade-related. Also, it would be reproducible, but it isn't, at least for me.

Daniel

--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

PGP.sig (251 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Frank Karlitschek-3

we are very sorry about the problems that you and other described here.
The challenge is unfortunately always to reproduce that problems.

So it would be awesome if one of you who has the problems could provide a step by step description how this conflict files can be triggered.

So something like:

1. install ownCloud server version x
2. upload files
3. install desktop sync client version y and sync files
4. update client to version z
5. -> conflict files

It would help us immensely if someone would help us with that.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

On 26.04.2013, at 11:57, hemathor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i have the exact same experience with the exact same use case almost every time i update either the owncloud client or the owncloud server.
> it is extremely annoying to delete all the conflict files again and again, sometimes thousands of them, one each minute or so.
>
> until now, i circumvented that problem by creating new sync folders with each update and copy all relevant files to the new folder and delete the old one.
> but since this sucks big time, costs a lot of time and nerves and i alraedy have a working sync alternative with dropbox+encfs and unison, i decided to end my sync experience with owncloud at least for a while before i try again...
>
> and then there is the issue of deleting a file on the client, and with the next sync the deleted file appears again at the client instead of being deleted on the server... wtf? eternal files? nice idea, but that's not what i wanted...
>
> i had so much hope for owncloud as a sync alternative, but i don't see it being reliable any time soon.
>
> maybe syncinc shouldn't be done with webdav and php, but with real software written in a real programming language... ;)
>
> greetings... and thanks for trying real hard! i can imagine you do!

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

hemathor

> Guys, are you really sure this happens when updating the client?

yes!

because of that issue i have added a cronjob 'find <path to owncloud data> -type f -name "*conflict*" -print' at both client and server and it mostly shows files after an update. a can assure you that!

> Or is it only that you check after updating it?

no, that's why added the above mentioned cronjob. to verify exactly that... ok, every now and then there are conflict files w/o an update, but when e.g. my laptop dies. then i get tons of conflict files w/o having touched any of the corresponding data files at all...

> The client does nothing special after an upgrade, so it would be a big surprise if the conflicts were upgrade-related.

that's why i am suprised, too. especially because i haven't even touched most of the files... ;)

> Also, it would be reproducible, but it isn't, at least for me.

neither for me... it happens every now and then, but i can never say when exactly... suddenly they're there and never go away...

e-mails are like postcards! everyone can read them...

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Jakub Moscicki

I think you are right and this is not update related. We are also seeing this kind of issues without updating the clients…

On the testpilots mailing list I posted some questions about enabling logging and reporting problems. We would like to help you debug these issues and report them in meaningful way. And maybe reproduce them reliably too…

kuba

--

On Apr 26, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Daniel Molkentin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 26.04.2013 um 11:57 schrieb hemathor:

i have the exact same experience with the exact same use case almost every time i update either the owncloud client or the owncloud server.
it is extremely annoying to delete all the conflict files again and again, sometimes thousands of them, one each minute or so.

Guys, are you really sure this happens when updating the client? Or is it only that you check after updating it? The client does nothing special after an upgrade, so it would be a big surprise if the conflicts were upgrade-related. Also, it would be reproducible, but it isn't, at least for me.

Daniel

--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Michael
If people say time is an issue, maybe we could add a page to Owncloud that outputs the time so the sync client could periodically check? If the time isn't close enough, try to trigger an update(if possible, this might be hard - too many methods/programs that are used for this), but don't sync until the time is good.
I know that for one other storage solutions like Owncloud do this.
Should I file an issue about this so someone could pick it up?
Mike

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Jakub Moscicki <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

[...]

Holger Angenent

I faced the problems concerning the conflict files myself, but could finally solve the problem at least in my installation.
When I upgraded from OC 4.5.x to 5.0.0, I deleted my local synced directory and let it resync by the client. I think what happened was a regeneration of the hidden file .csync_journal.db. Since then, no more conflict files appear in my installation. Other users of the same installation observed the same.
Did anyone of you tried to do the same? Had this an effect on the problem?

Cheers,
Holger

Am 26.04.2013 13:25, schrieb Jakub Moscicki:
Hello,

[...]

Klaas Freitag-3
On 26.04.2013 21:12, Holger Angenent wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I faced the problems concerning the conflict files myself, but could
> finally solve the problem at least in my installation.
> When I upgraded from OC 4.5.x to 5.0.0, I deleted my local synced
> directory and let it resync by the client. I think what happened was a
> regeneration of the hidden file .csync_journal.db. Since then, no more
> conflict files appear in my installation. Other users of the same
> installation observed the same.
> Did anyone of you tried to do the same? Had this an effect on the problem?

The server update to 5.0.0 unfortunately lost the uniq IDs of the files
on server side, what resulted in having all files suddenly in a "oh,
this has changed" state - for _all_ files.

What the client does in that case is to check if the file has still the
same mtime local and remote. If it has, the files are considered the
same. If not, a conflict file is generated. Unfortunately, two computers
often have a time offset between each other. That is still not much of a
problem, BUT if that time difference is not constant over time, it
becomes more likely that wrong conflicts are generated. So a good hint
is to keep times of all involved machines accurate by using ntp.

 From client 1.2.4 on, after having downloaded a potential conflict
file, there is a byte by byte comparison to the original file to check
if they are equal byte wise. If so, no conflict is created. That does
not work for the server side tough.

People keep on asking why we don't use hash values over file contents to
compare. Yes, we could do that. But ownCloud is a very open system that
integrates other technologies, and because of that Frank decided against
that. We would have a hard time to calculate MD5 sums of files which are
mounted into ownCloud from lets say Samba or Dropbox systems. That must
not be forgotten.

We will investigate further on that problem, and I am sure we will be
able to solve it. We understand how annoying and hard to accept this
problem is. Needless to say how important your help is with that.

regards,

Klaas

> Am 26.04.2013 13:25, schrieb Jakub Moscicki:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think you are right and this is not update related. We are also
>> seeing this kind of issues without updating the clients...
>>
>> On the testpilots mailing list I posted some questions about enabling
>> logging and reporting problems. We would like to help you debug these
>> issues and report them in meaningful way. And maybe reproduce them
>> reliably too...
>>
>> kuba
>>
>> --
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Daniel Molkentin <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>>> Guys, are you really sure this happens when updating the client? Or
>>> is it only that you check after updating it? The client does nothing
>>> special after an upgrade, so it would be a big surprise if the
>>> conflicts were upgrade-related. Also, it would be reproducible, but
>>> it isn't, at least for me.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.owncloud.com <http://www.owncloud.com/> - Your Data, Your Cloud,
>>> Your Way!
>>>
>>> ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff
>>> Schloßäckerstrasse 26a, 90443 Nürnberg, HRB 28050 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Qingping Hou
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Klaas Freitag <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What the client does in that case is to check if the file has still the same
> mtime local and remote. If it has, the files are considered the same. If
> not, a conflict file is generated. Unfortunately, two computers often have a
> time offset between each other. That is still not much of a problem, BUT if
> that time difference is not constant over time, it becomes more likely that
> wrong conflicts are generated. So a good hint is to keep times of all
> involved machines accurate by using ntp.

I see, thanks for the explanation :)

As Michael have pointed out above, I think it will be better to have a time sync
feature between client and oc server. It's ok for geeks to configure ntp
themselves, but that will make oc client not work out of box for non-geek users.

Or maybe have an alarm message popup when clients detects that they are out of
sync with OC server? Then users can adjust their system time accordingly.

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Gwenaël Luneau
Le 27/04/2013 04:50, Qingping Hou a écrit :

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Klaas Freitag <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What the client does in that case is to check if the file has still the same
>> mtime local and remote. If it has, the files are considered the same. If
>> not, a conflict file is generated. Unfortunately, two computers often have a
>> time offset between each other. That is still not much of a problem, BUT if
>> that time difference is not constant over time, it becomes more likely that
>> wrong conflicts are generated. So a good hint is to keep times of all
>> involved machines accurate by using ntp.
>>

> I see, thanks for the explanation :)
>
> As Michael have pointed out above, I think it will be better to have a time sync
> feature between client and oc server. It's ok for geeks to configure ntp
> themselves, but that will make oc client not work out of box for non-geek users.
>
> Or maybe have an alarm message popup when clients detects that they are out of
> sync with OC server? Then users can adjust their system time accordingly.

would not it be better that the OC client manages itself away time and
take it into account automatically?

--
Gwenael Luneau
Membre fondateur de Nanterrux - http://www.nanterrux.org

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Qingping Hou
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Gwenael Luneau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> would not it be better that the OC client manages itself away time and take
> it into account automatically?

Yes, that will be better for client when it downloads from server. However,
when uploading files to server, clients have to make sure it adjusts the
mtime as well. Not sure how oc handles this, if it's just uploading with
local mtime, then there will be a lot of conlicts in server side.

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Andreas Schneider-2
On Friday, April 26, 2013 11:57:15 hemathor wrote:

> i have the exact same experience with the exact same use case almost every
> time i update either the owncloud client or the owncloud server. it is
> extremely annoying to delete all the conflict files again and again,
> sometimes thousands of them, one each minute or so.
>
> until now, i circumvented that problem by creating new sync folders with
> each update and copy all relevant files to the new folder and delete the
> old one. but since this sucks big time, costs a lot of time and nerves and
> i alraedy have a working sync alternative with dropbox+encfs and unison, i
> decided to end my sync experience with owncloud at least for a while before
> i try again...
>
> and then there is the issue of deleting a file on the client, and with the
> next sync the deleted file appears again at the client instead of being
> deleted on the server... wtf? eternal files? nice idea, but that's not what
> i wanted...
>
> i had so much hope for owncloud as a sync alternative, but i don't see it
> being reliable any time soon.

The art is to report a descriptive bug and get it fixed!

See:

        -- andreas

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

my2cents

I ahve the same issues with conflict files (thousands of them).

owncloud 5.0.6 with windows client 1.2.5 and never upgraded.

So far I can say, that I only find conflicts in files with spaces in filenames or pathnames. Until now, compared for a few weeks, I found 10570 conflict files and none of them are without spaces in path or filename.

I can not say, if this happens to every file with a space in names.

All I can say is, in my mp3 and pictures folders, I have no spaces at all and no conflict files at all, too.

Maybe this helps.

Regards
Markus Pillmann

Re: Hate to say it but . . .

Klaas Freitag-3
On 05.06.2013 13:35, my2cents wrote:

> I ahve the same issues with conflict files (thousands of them).
>
> owncloud 5.0.6 with windows client 1.2.5 and never upgraded.
>
> So far I can say, that I only find conflicts in files with spaces in
> filenames or pathnames. Until now, compared for a few weeks, I found 10570
> conflict files and none of them are without spaces in path or filename.
>
> I can not say, if this happens to every file with a space in names.
>
> All I can say is, in my mp3 and pictures folders, I have no spaces at all
> and no conflict files at all, too.
The conflict file problem will not happen anymore with 1.3.0. There is a
beta version out there, see http://owncloud.org/sync-clients/ at the
bottom. But be careful!

regards,

Klaas