How to use OpenID with ownCloud 9.0.2

Frank Thommen
Dear all,

several users are asking to use their OpenID-Accounts for our ownCloud
(9.0.2) installation but I have no idea how to achieve this (I'm not
even sure I understand the principle of OpenID correctly...)

I could find some references to an "OpenID user backend app".  However
no such app is listed in the enabled or not enabled apps on our system.
I could also find the "Trustelem OpenID Connect Plugin" on
https://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/Trustelem+OpenID+Connect+Plugin?content=174676
but this only seems to work with "Trustelem Cloud SSO".

Any pointer to a - trustful - downloadable/installable app,
configuration settings, documents or similar is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance
frank

Re: How to use OpenID with ownCloud 9.0.2

Frank Thommen
I may add, that we are running our installation on Debian 8 with the
following packages installed:

ii  owncloud                              9.0.2-1.1
all          ownCloud - Server
ii  owncloud-apps                         0~~20141022-1
all          third party applications for ownCloud
ii  owncloud-deps-php5                    9.0.2-1.1
all          ownCloud - dependencies for php5
ii  owncloud-files                        9.0.2-1.1
all          ownCloud - Server

f.

On 07/13/2016 01:08 PM, Frank Thommen wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> several users are asking to use their OpenID-Accounts for our ownCloud
> (9.0.2) installation but I have no idea how to achieve this (I'm not
> even sure I understand the principle of OpenID correctly...)
>
> I could find some references to an "OpenID user backend app".  However
> no such app is listed in the enabled or not enabled apps on our system.
> I could also find the "Trustelem OpenID Connect Plugin" on
> https://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/Trustelem+OpenID+Connect+Plugin?content=174676
> but this only seems to work with "Trustelem Cloud SSO".
>
> Any pointer to a - trustful - downloadable/installable app,
> configuration settings, documents or similar is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance
> frank

Re: How to use OpenID with ownCloud 9.0.2

Erwan David
Le 13/07/2016 à 14:43, Frank Thommen a écrit :

> I may add, that we are running our installation on Debian 8 with the
> following packages installed:
>
> ii  owncloud                              9.0.2-1.1 all
> ownCloud - Server
> ii  owncloud-apps                         0~~20141022-1 all
> third party applications for ownCloud
> ii  owncloud-deps-php5                    9.0.2-1.1 all
> ownCloud - dependencies for php5
> ii  owncloud-files                        9.0.2-1.1 all
> ownCloud - Server
>
> f.
>
> On 07/13/2016 01:08 PM, Frank Thommen wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> several users are asking to use their OpenID-Accounts for our ownCloud
>> (9.0.2) installation but I have no idea how to achieve this (I'm not
>> even sure I understand the principle of OpenID correctly...)
>>
>> I could find some references to an "OpenID user backend app".  However
>> no such app is listed in the enabled or not enabled apps on our system.
>> I could also find the "Trustelem OpenID Connect Plugin" on
>> https://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/Trustelem+OpenID+Connect+Plugin?content=174676
>>
>> but this only seems to work with "Trustelem Cloud SSO".
>>
>> Any pointer to a - trustful - downloadable/installable app,
>> configuration settings, documents or similar is highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance
>> frank

Isn't owncloud app from debian repository when the other packages arez
from owncloud ?

I would not mix both.

Re: How to use OpenID with ownCloud 9.0.2

Chris-3

On 07/13/2016 05:05 PM, Erwan David wrote:

> Le 13/07/2016 à 14:43, Frank Thommen a écrit :
>> I may add, that we are running our installation on Debian 8 with the
>> following packages installed:
>>
>> ii  owncloud                              9.0.2-1.1 all
>> ownCloud - Server
>> ii  owncloud-apps                         0~~20141022-1 all
>> third party applications for ownCloud
>> ii  owncloud-deps-php5                    9.0.2-1.1 all
>> ownCloud - dependencies for php5
>> ii  owncloud-files                        9.0.2-1.1 all
>> ownCloud - Server
>>
>> f.
>>
>> On 07/13/2016 01:08 PM, Frank Thommen wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> several users are asking to use their OpenID-Accounts for our ownCloud
>>> (9.0.2) installation but I have no idea how to achieve this (I'm not
>>> even sure I understand the principle of OpenID correctly...)
>>>
>>> I could find some references to an "OpenID user backend app".  However
>>> no such app is listed in the enabled or not enabled apps on our system.
>>> I could also find the "Trustelem OpenID Connect Plugin" on
>>> https://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/Trustelem+OpenID+Connect+Plugin?content=174676
>>>
>>> but this only seems to work with "Trustelem Cloud SSO".
>>>
>>> Any pointer to a - trustful - downloadable/installable app,
>>> configuration settings, documents or similar is highly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot in advance
>>> frank
>>>[...[
>>
> Isn't owncloud app from debian repository when the other packages arez
> from owncloud ?
>
> I would not mix both.

/All/ installed packages are from Debian repositories, but there doesn't
seem to be an appropriate OpenID-package

On 07/13/2016 04:13 PM, Chris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you need to create a new app to extend ownCloud with this functionality.

Thanks, but I have neither the knownow not the skills to do that.
Others seem to have an "OpenID user backend app" installed.  I'm just
not able to find it.

On 07/13/2016 04:17 PM, Chris wrote:
> Ahh, seems there is an old openid app available here:
>
> https://github.com/owncloud/apps/tree/master/user_openid_provider
>
> That one was updated around 2 years ago so its probably "just" needed to
> make this compatible with recent oC versions.

Thanks a lot.  But can someone confirm that this is a reliable source?
I'm very conservative when it comes to the installation of security
relevant modules from 3rd-party repositories which are not related to
the ownCloud project itself.  I'm not able to review the code, so I have
to be able to trust it.

On 07/13/2016 05:37 PM, Frank Thommen wrote:

> On 07/13/2016 04:17 PM, Chris wrote:
>> Ahh, seems there is an old openid app available here:
>>
>> https://github.com/owncloud/apps/tree/master/user_openid_provider
>>
>> That one was updated around 2 years ago so its probably "just" needed to
>> make this compatible with recent oC versions.
>
> Thanks a lot.  But can someone confirm that this is a reliable source?
> I'm very conservative when it comes to the installation of security
> relevant modules from 3rd-party repositories which are not related to
> the ownCloud project itself.  I'm not able to review the code, so I have
> to be able to trust it.

pls ignore this last comment.  This /is/ an owncloud repo :-).  However
I wonder why this app is not included in the Debian package.

frank

Re: How to use OpenID with ownCloud 9.0.2

Chris-3

Re: How to use OpenID with ownCloud 9.0.2

Frank Thommen
On 07/13/2016 04:17 PM, Chris wrote:
> Ahh, seems there is an old openid app available here:
>
> https://github.com/owncloud/apps/tree/master/user_openid_provider
>
> That one was updated around 2 years ago so its probably "just" needed to
> make this compatible with recent oC versions.

finally this doesn't seem to be the OpenID User Backend I was looking
for, but - as the name suggests :-) - an OpenID provider.  So I'm still
looking for an OpenID authentication backend for ownCloud 9.