[Idea] Easier linux client install

Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA
Hi ownclouders ( first message here )

 When a linux user wants to install the lastest owncloud client, he's
in front of this page http://bit.ly/1RiM3cO which is REALLY too
difficult for the average user.

 As we (all) want linux to become as easier as other OS, publishers
also need an effort to simplify installating their software.

 Google has good approach when distributing its software like
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

 Which propose 4 binairies ( 32/64 deb/rpm ) and the Preinst script
adds the key + the repository.

 I know this is a lot of work and I'm wondering if the community os
working on , at least a similar deb packaging ?

 Regards.

 Michel Memeteau Directeur, Ekimia SAS
Notre WebBoutique : http://shop.ekimia.fr |
49 chemin union 13720 La bouilladisse  FRANCE

Re: [Idea] Easier linux client install

Klaas Freitag-3
On 13.12.2015 18:09, Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA wrote:
> Hi ownclouders ( first message here )
>
>   When a linux user wants to install the lastest owncloud client, he's
> in front of this page http://bit.ly/1RiM3cO which is REALLY too
> difficult for the average user.

:-(
That really touches me. As somebody coming from the cave where we had to
install packages on commandline, hoping that the binary dependencies are
fulfilled finally, I am sad to hear your words. We thought we created
something really nice with the page you mentioned. And probably it was,
back in the days.

But anyway, you are probably right.

>   As we (all) want linux to become as easier as other OS, publishers
> also need an effort to simplify installating their software.
>
>   Google has good approach when distributing its software like
> https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

What *exactly* do you feel is a good approach? And what exactly is it
that makes our approach complicated?

>   Which propose 4 binairies ( 32/64 deb/rpm ) and the Preinst script
> adds the key + the repository.

We build our packages the way that they base on the libraries brought by
the linux they are running on. Other 3rd party vendors often do not do
that but package all what their application needs into the download
package. That results in big download packages which install to /opt,
but these do not need to be so system specific (ie. only 32/64 bit times
deb or rpm). I am against doing that for ownCloud Client, for good reasons.

It has disadvantages which concern system security. And here is why:
Distributions are very very careful and proactive in shipping updates
for their distro packages. If there is a security issue with a lib, the
security guys at the distros know that before they become public
knowledge, fix the problem, and ship a fix lib before the problem
becomes known in the wild.

3rdparty vendors seldom have the staff nor the time or interest to do
that. They ship once, and usually do not care for the shipped libs
later. What the users end up with are bundled libs in a more or less
secure state. That often is no problem, but also counts for stuff like
openssl.

I never wanted that for ownCloud Client, but rather work with the
distros as good as we ever can.

That was a bit of a sidetrack, as that was not your initial question.
You maybe only want a wrapper around the key downloading, installing and
repo registering. That is something we could think about...

The royal solution for me however would be if 3rdparty vendors like us
could better work with the distro package managers. So that it would be
a more natural process to register repos like ours via the distros
package managers. Something like an "enable the ownCloud Software
Repository" checkbox in the package managers gui, and, voila, the
packages come from our repos.

But that will probably remain an entry on the Christmas wishlist forever :-/

regards,

Klaas

>   I know this is a lot of work and I'm wondering if the community os
> working on , at least a similar deb packaging ?
>
>   Regards.
>

>   Michel Memeteau Directeur, Ekimia SAS
> Notre WebBoutique : http://shop.ekimia.fr |
> 49 chemin union 13720 La bouilladisse  FRANCE

Re: [Idea] Easier linux client install

Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA
Hi all

The royal solution for me however would be if 3rdparty vendors like us could better work with the distro package managers. So that it would be a more natural process to register repos like ours via the distros package managers. Something like an "enable the ownCloud Software Repository" checkbox in the package managers gui, and, voila, the packages come from our repos.

But that will probably remain an entry on the Christmas wishlist forever :-/

As we have to guide several clients to install the owncloud client on their linux mahcine I'd like to continue this discussion.

I think we could keep the same greatness of the repos with the easiness of few clicks to enable the Repos and install without ever the need to open a terminal.

Terminal is powerful for all of us but my grand ma should be able to install owncloud client on linux like she could on mac or windows.

it might sound ugly to some of you but here is how I see it :

- First handle only for now debian/ubuntu case by providing a owncloud-latest-repo-installer.deb as the main linux download ( and obviously a link to current page for other distro )

- This deb contains a post-install task that update apt sources according to current distro and installs the latest owncloud.

I know it's dirty because you still have 2 packages installes in the system.

But I still don't see how to do a point and click to install on several version of distro.

+ Obviously an easier way is to let the user tell if he is on Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04 as it's still not in the user agent , but at least we know it's Ubuntu 64 bits.

+ a third solution is the tar.gz containing a simple script that does all this. the user just have to

- right click - extract here

- double click - choose to run instaed of edit.

But all the desktop don't behave the same way about this.

Regards.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Michel Memeteau  - Directeur.

Notre Boutique Ordinateurs GNU/Linux : http://shop.ekimia.fr
280 avenue de la malvesine 13720 La Bouilladisse - France.
Fixe :  <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%29%20972308334" value="+33972308334" target="_blank">+33 (0) 972308334   Mobile : <a href="tel:%2B33%280%29%20624808051" value="+33624808051" target="_blank">+33(0) 624808051
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Re: [Idea] Easier linux client install

Stephen Partington
Google did something very similar to this with their Chrome installation.

the actual initial download was an RPM or DEB and then that contained a script to enable a repo based on specific platform and then kicked of the final install.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

[...]

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

Stephen

Re: [Idea] Easier linux client install

Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA

e actual initial download was an RPM or DEB and then that contained a script to enable a repo based on specific platform and then kicked of the final install.

Yes it's what I said when I started the topic last december :-)

But it's easier for them I guess as they goes in /opt and their binaries are the same for all deb-based distro.

I really wish that we found a solution for this because this is one of the root of the very slow adoption of Linux on the desktop.

Maybe SNAP is a solution but for now it's only available preinstalled on too few computers.

Regards

Michel Memeteau  - Directeur.

Notre Boutique Ordinateurs GNU/Linux : http://shop.ekimia.fr
280 avenue de la malvesine 13720 La Bouilladisse - France.
Fixe :  +33 (0) 972308334   Mobile : +33(0) 624808051