Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

ashish173

Hi list,

This is a mail i have sent to organizer of gsoc for owncloud(zynga12) and he advised me to send it to the ML and wait for the response of the developers.
  1. I have been interested in Open source software for a very long time now. I always i wanted to contribute to opensource but  never   knew how to do it.
  2. I am also following Gsoc for a long time now and have know that it is a very good medium to contribute to Open source    community.
  3. I was very excited when i first came across Owncloud as its open source and its code  is available , I have spent some time looking at it.

I was searching for possible ideas for Owncloud when i got this idea.

===========================  PROPOSAL  ===========================

My proposal for OwnCloud software is the integration of a webhost(static pages)

How this will works
  1. First create a folder with public access.
  2. Copy all your code(static pages with directories) into that folder.
  3. Then a pemalink is generated to the index.html
  4. That permalink can be used to share the link on web
  5. Anyone using the link can access the webpage.

Implementation details for this.
  1. Basically we provide the HTML( stored in the shared folder ) from the shared directory.
  2. The shared directory contains all the code.
  3. Code is transferred as per required to the user using the webpage in the browser.
  4. a similar implementation.

I got inspiration for this idea from Google Drive. Google recently came out with a feature similar to this. I find it cool and i see no other opensource cloud file sharing application where i could have proposed it, I think with this feature OwnCloud will be more interesting and fun to use.

Looking forward to your replies.

ashish sinngh
pune India

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Michael Gapczynski-2
This would actually only take 10 minutes to do with the current implementation of shared links. So, not exactly worthy of a GSoC project and I don't believe it aligns well with the goal of ownCloud. A user of ownCloud should have no problem hosting their own static website if they are hosting ownCloud on their own server.

Keep thinking of ideas.

Michael

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:03:30 PM EDT, Ashish Singh wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> This is a mail i have sent to organizer of gsoc for
> owncloud(zynga12) and he advised me to send it to the ML and
> wait for the response of the developers.
> I have been interested in Open source software for a very long
> time now I always i wanted to contribute to opensource but
>  never   knew how to do it.
> I am also following Gsoc for a long time now and have know that
> it is a very good medium to contribute to Open source
>  community.
> I was very excited when i first came across Owncloud as its
> open source and its code  is available , I have spent some time
> looking at it.
>
> I was searching for possible ideas for Owncloud when i got this idea.
>
> ===========================  PROPOSAL  ===========================
>
> My proposal for OwnCloud software is the integration of a
> webhost(static pages)
>
> How this will works
> First create a folder with public access.
> Copy all your code(static pages with directories) into that folder.
> Then a pemalink is generated to the index.html
> That permalink can be used to share the link on web
> Anyone using the link can access the webpage.
>
> Implementation details for this.
> Basically we provide the HTML( stored in the shared folder )
> from the shared directory.
> The shared directory contains all the code.
> Code is transferred as per required to the user using the
> webpage in the browser.
> a similar implementation.
>
> I got inspiration for this idea from Google Drive. Google
> recently came out with a feature similar to this. I find it cool
> and i see no other opensource cloud file sharing application
> where i could have proposed it, I think with this feature
> OwnCloud will be more interesting and fun to use.
> This is how it would look like.
>
> Looking forward to your replies.
>
> ashish sinngh
> pune India

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Christian Reiner
Hi,

On Wednesday 27 March 2013 20:51:46 Michael Gapczynski wrote:
> This would actually only take 10 minutes to do with the current
> implementation of shared links. So, not exactly worthy of a GSoC project
> and I don't believe it aligns well with the goal of ownCloud. A user of
> ownCloud should have no problem hosting their own static website if they
> are hosting ownCloud on their own server.

that is true from a technical point of view. However keep in mind that not all
users of ownCloud actually host that installation themselves. Often they don't
even have administrative rights on that system.

Christian Reiner (arkascha) (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Christian Reiner
Hi Ashish,

On Thursday 28 March 2013 05:33:30 Ashish Singh wrote:
> [...]
> My proposal for OwnCloud software is the integration of a webhost(static
> pages)
> [...]

the idea of a simple "homepage app" has been brought up some month before.
I like that idea, since it does not require the user to install a some
separate software or files and keeps things inside a single framework. And
from my point of view a personal presentation / personal homepage is part of
personal information management. Which is why I think it does fit in.

However I wonder why you want to restrict the features to static pages only?
I'd suggest to take a look around for some very basic and easy to use simple
cms engine that can be integrated into ownCloud as an app. Sounds much more
convenient to use to me for ordinary users compared to having to write static
html pages by hand and upload them. I am sure there is some simple engine
available with a matching license.

What do you think?

Christian Reiner (arkascha) (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Alessandro Cosentino
@Ashish: you forgot to mention that I had told you already that the
scale of the project you propose is not apt for GSoC.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Christian Reiner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ashish,
>
> On Thursday 28 March 2013 05:33:30 Ashish Singh wrote:
>> [...]
>> My proposal for OwnCloud software is the integration of a webhost(static
>> pages)
>> [...]
>
> the idea of a simple "homepage app" has been brought up some month before.
> I like that idea, since it does not require the user to install a some
> separate software or files and keeps things inside a single framework. And
> from my point of view a personal presentation / personal homepage is part of
> personal information management. Which is why I think it does fit in.
>
> However I wonder why you want to restrict the features to static pages only?
> I'd suggest to take a look around for some very basic and easy to use simple
> cms engine that can be integrated into ownCloud as an app. Sounds much more
> convenient to use to me for ordinary users compared to having to write static
> html pages by hand and upload them. I am sure there is some simple engine
> available with a matching license.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Christian Reiner (arkascha) (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

ashish173
hey ,

@Allessandro : yes i didn't mention that because i thought it might lead to abvious rejection or less attention in the ML.

@Christian : my motivation for this idea was that it would add to the cloud identity(for owncloud to be specific) which as of now a storage and sharing application and a dedicated service like this would have been catchy. But as i find out it isn't getting an expected response never mind i'll try and come up with more ideas that aligns well with the goal of ownCloud.

@Micheal : i didn't know that it would take so less time.  btw i am poking around the code and documentation as hope to get back with another idea very soon. As of now my this idea is kind of dead... i don't mind it.

@ALL :  I have one more question i find coming up with totally new and original ideas is a bit difficult(not everyday you are lucky) so how can i start with ideas that are already in the ideas page. As they have students listed below them so i think its already assigned to a student. One idea needed a student i am curious about that. How can i start.

Mobile app that syncs with ownCloud News app

The News app is an atom/rss reader app that will be shipped with ownCloud 6. The app was developed as a GSoC 2012 project. The app now exposes an API, which can be used to synchronize external stand-alone readers with the app.

API specification will be documented on time before GSoC starts.

The project consists of designing, building and testing an rss feed reader for a mobile platform that uses this API and so synchronizes with the ownCloud News app.

Platform suggested are Firefox OS (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/partners/#os) or Phonegap (http://phonegap.com/). The student is strongly encouraged to discuss the platform and the details of the project with the mentors before submitting the project proposal.

  • Mentors:
Lead Mentor: Alessandro Cosentino <cosenal at gmail dot com>
Alternative Mentor: Bernhard Posselt <nukeawhale at gmail dot com>
  • Contacts: zimba12 and Raydiation on #owncloud-dev, Freenode
  • Skills: (depdending on the chosen platform) At least basic knowledge of: JS, CSS, HTML. Previous experience with programming for mobile platforms is recommended
  • Student: STUDENT NEEDED

I have some experience developing webapps in python using django framework i am also familiar with firefox OS i also know HTML5.
So i think i will have less problems working with firefox os which only uses web technologies...
any suggestions on that please.

ashish singh

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ashish,
>
> On Thursday 28 March 2013 05:33:30 Ashish Singh wrote:
>> [...]
>> My proposal for OwnCloud software is the integration of a webhost(static
>> pages)
>> [...]
>
> the idea of a simple "homepage app" has been brought up some month before.
> I like that idea, since it does not require the user to install a some
> separate software or files and keeps things inside a single framework. And
> from my point of view a personal presentation / personal homepage is part of
> personal information management. Which is why I think it does fit in.
>
> However I wonder why you want to restrict the features to static pages only?
> I'd suggest to take a look around for some very basic and easy to use simple
> cms engine that can be integrated into ownCloud as an app. Sounds much more
> convenient to use to me for ordinary users compared to having to write static
> html pages by hand and upload them. I am sure there is some simple engine
> available with a matching license.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Christian Reiner (arkascha) (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Michael Grosser
Hey,

I know it's probably not something to be done, but here are a few
things I actually would love to see:
1. app for torrent downloads:
  - one torrent folder where you put your torrent files
  - one folder where downloaded torrents are stored
  - ability to use different torrent backends (put.io, your own
torrent running on the server?)

2. inter owncloud sharing:
  - having the ability to devote 20% of your storage to another
owncloud instance, which can store replicas of important data
encrypted on your server
  - would add the ability for replicas and better data redundancy

3. general replication support with other storage backends:
  (could be similar to #2)
  - let users set a replication level for their folders and where
these replica should be stored (replicas should be stored encrypted)
different backends

4. small task for news app:
  - public rss feed for stared items to be used with kindlefeeder.com
or other services for e-ink devices
  - ability to get full article instead of shortened ones (not
available yet or?)

5. media converter:
  - ability to convert music and video files into special formats
  - one source folder, where files could be deleted after conversion
or not (best to make an option)
  - one target folder, where all converted files are saved with the
same folder structure
  - conversion is done in batches with the help of owncloud cron
  - conversion target format can be set in the personal options (* ->
mp3, * -> mkv or mp4 for streaming) would be great
  - additionally single conversion could be done. give users an option
within the files view to not download, but convert
  - additionally within public sharing guest users could have the
option to download files with a special format, music folder with flac
files let them download as mp3s... or so, perhaps automaticly convert
publicly linked movie files to a streamable format?

  (perhaps via external media conversion apis, local ffmpeg or remote
aws or similar tools)

6. zip support:
  - improve zip support, cache zipped files if storage is available,
this prevents from rezipping on high usage public links (not done
afaik)
  - prezip bigger directories shared via public link? owncloud cron?
  - enable zipping of huge directories... workaround the webserver limitations

7. backup support for SMS/Call activity:
  - app for backend for handling sms and call activity could just be a
layer over the files app structuring them via folders
SMS/date/person.txt or Call/dat/person.txt or so
  - mobile app, which backsup SMS and Call data to the aforementioned
backend. (Android and perhaps ios)

That's just a few ideas I noticed would be great to have.
If anything needs to be discussed I'm probably around.

Cheers Michael

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Ashish Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > from my point of view a personal presentation / personal homepage is
>> > part of
>> > personal information management. Which is why I think it does fit in.
>> >
>> > However I wonder why you want to restrict the features to static pages
>> > only?
>> > I'd suggest to take a look around for some very basic and easy to use
>> > simple
>> > cms engine that can be integrated into ownCloud as an app. Sounds much
>> > more
>> > convenient to use to me for ordinary users compared to having to write
>> > static
>> > html pages by hand and upload them. I am sure there is some simple
>> > engine
>> > available with a matching license.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>> >
>> > Christian Reiner (arkascha) (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Additional note:
option for SMS/Call stuff to be encrypted via a gpg key?

All forms of encryption could be done via gpg key/keys.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Michael Grosser
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> CSS, HTML. Previous experience with programming for mobile platforms is
>> recommended
>>
>> Student: STUDENT NEEDED
>>
>> ==================================================================================================
>>
>> I have some experience developing webapps in python using django framework i
>> am also familiar with firefox OS i also know HTML5.
>> So i think i will have less problems working with firefox os which only uses
>> web technologies...
>> any suggestions on that please.
>>

>> ashish singh
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> @Ashish: you forgot to mention that I had told you already that the
>>> scale of the project you propose is not apt for GSoC.

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Bernhard Posselt
> ability to get full article instead of shortened ones (not
available yet or?)

No articles are shortened ;)

On 03/28/2013 03:37 PM, Michael Grosser wrote:

> [...]
>>> Mentor: Bernhard Posselt <nukeawhale at gmail dot com>
>>>
>>> Contacts: zimba12 and Raydiation on #owncloud-dev, Freenode
>>>
>>> Skills: (depdending on the chosen platform) At least basic knowledge of: JS,
>>> CSS, HTML. Previous experience with programming for mobile platforms is
>>> recommended
>>>
>>> Student: STUDENT NEEDED
>>>
>>> ==================================================================================================
>>>
>>> I have some experience developing webapps in python using django framework i
>>> am also familiar with firefox OS i also know HTML5.
>>> So i think i will have less problems working with firefox os which only uses
>>> web technologies...
>>> any suggestions on that please.
>>>

>>> ashish singh

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Not even when they are shortened within the used rss feed?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Bernhard Posselt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>    - improve zip support, cache zipped files if storage is available,
>>> this prevents from rezipping on high usage public links (not done
>>> afaik)
>>>    - prezip bigger directories shared via public link? owncloud cron?
>>>    - enable zipping of huge directories... workaround the webserver
>>> limitations
>>>
>>> 7. backup support for SMS/Call activity:
>>>    - app for backend for handling sms and call activity could just be a
>>> layer over the files app structuring them via folders
>>> SMS/date/person.txt or Call/dat/person.txt or so
>>>    - mobile app, which backsup SMS and Call data to the aforementioned
>>> backend. (Android and perhaps ios)
>>>
>>> That's just a few ideas I noticed would be great to have.
>>> If anything needs to be discussed I'm probably around.
>>>
>>> Cheers Michael

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Content is taken 1:1 from the body attribute. Do you want to iframe the
page where the article is on? Im against this btw.

On 03/28/2013 03:52 PM, Michael Grosser wrote:

> Not even when they are shortened within the used rss feed?
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Bernhard Posselt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> ability to get full article instead of shortened ones (not
>> available yet or?)
>>
>> No articles are shortened ;)
>>

>> On 03/28/2013 03:37 PM, Michael Grosser wrote:
>>> Additional note:
>>> option for SMS/Call stuff to be encrypted via a gpg key?
>>>
>>> All forms of encryption could be done via gpg key/keys.

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
Great proposals, please put any ideas you have in the issue trackers! :)

> [...]

>> > from my point of view a personal presentation / personal homepage is
>> > part of
>> > personal information management. Which is why I think it does fit in.
>> >
>> > However I wonder why you want to restrict the features to static pages
>> > only?
>> > I'd suggest to take a look around for some very basic and easy to use
>> > simple
>> > cms engine that can be integrated into ownCloud as an app. Sounds much
>> > more
>> > convenient to use to me for ordinary users compared to having to write
>> > static
>> > html pages by hand and upload them. I am sure there is some simple
>> > engine
>> > available with a matching license.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>> >
>> > Christian Reiner (arkascha) (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Note that I created a page where we can list potential GSoC ideas:
https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/GSoC-Ideas

Maintaining such page is one of the requirements to become an
independent GSoC organization.

If the idea fits the size of a GSoC project, please list it there too.

Thanks,
Alessandro

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > Skills: (depdending on the chosen platform) At least basic knowledge of:
>> > JS,
>> > CSS, HTML. Previous experience with programming for mobile platforms is
>> > recommended
>> >
>> > Student: STUDENT NEEDED
>> >

>> > ==================================================================================================
>> >
>> > I have some experience developing webapps in python using django
>> > framework i
>> > am also familiar with firefox OS i also know HTML5.
>> > So i think i will have less problems working with firefox os which only
>> > uses
>> > web technologies...
>> > any suggestions on that please.
>> >

>> > ashish singh
>> >

>> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Alessandro Cosentino
>> > <[hidden email]>

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

I'll rethink all my ideas and try to structure them and then make
issues or add them to gsoc ideas

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>   - improve zip support, cache zipped files if storage is available,
>>> this prevents from rezipping on high usage public links (not done
>>> afaik)
>>>   - prezip bigger directories shared via public link? owncloud cron?
>>>   - enable zipping of huge directories... workaround the webserver
>>> limitations
>>>
>>> 7. backup support for SMS/Call activity:
>>>   - app for backend for handling sms and call activity could just be a
>>> layer over the files app structuring them via folders
>>> SMS/date/person.txt or Call/dat/person.txt or so
>>>   - mobile app, which backsup SMS and Call data to the aforementioned
>>> backend. (Android and perhaps ios)
>>>
>>> That's just a few ideas I noticed would be great to have.
>>> If anything needs to be discussed I'm probably around.
>>>
>>> Cheers Michael

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Notice that you don't need to rush. This page is meant for projects
starting from 2014.

Also, don't forget the tag [Junior Job] in the issue tracker.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Michael Grosser
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll rethink all my ideas and try to structure them and then make
> issues or add them to gsoc ideas
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that I created a page where we can list potential GSoC ideas:
>> https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/GSoC-Ideas
>>
>> Maintaining such page is one of the requirements to become an
>> independent GSoC organization.
>>
>> If the idea fits the size of a GSoC project, please list it there too.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alessandro
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Great proposals, please put any ideas you have in the issue trackers! :)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Christian Reiner
Hello Ashish,

On Thursday 28 March 2013 17:44:17 Ashish Singh wrote:
> @Christian : my motivation for this idea was that it would add to the cloud
> identity(for owncloud to be specific) which as of now a storage and sharing
> application and a dedicated service like this would have been catchy. But
> as i find out it isn't getting an expected response never mind i'll try and
> come up with more ideas that aligns well with the goal of ownCloud.

Hm, why do you give up that fast?
Never mind a lack of responses. It is a sad but typical effect that
critial/negative comments are far easier to get when posting to a list than
positive confirmations.
I still would like the idea of a simple homepage app inside ownCloud.

;-)

Have fun!

--
Christian Reiner (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Michael Grosser
2014 wow that is a lot time for features I would love :D
As about the label, as I don't have write acces for the issues, I
can't add labels.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Christian Reiner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Ashish,
>
> On Thursday 28 March 2013 17:44:17 Ashish Singh wrote:
>> @Christian : my motivation for this idea was that it would add to the cloud
>> identity(for owncloud to be specific) which as of now a storage and sharing
>> application and a dedicated service like this would have been catchy. But
>> as i find out it isn't getting an expected response never mind i'll try and
>> come up with more ideas that aligns well with the goal of ownCloud.
>
> Hm, why do you give up that fast?
> Never mind a lack of responses. It is a sad but typical effect that
> critial/negative comments are far easier to get when posting to a list than
> positive confirmations.
> I still would like the idea of a simple homepage app inside ownCloud.
>
> ;-)
>
> Have fun!
>
> --
> Christian Reiner (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Guillaume Paumier
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Michael Grosser
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2014 wow that is a lot time for features I would love :D
> As about the label, as I don't have write acces for the issues, I
> can't add labels.

I can tag them once you're done, or we can do it interactively on IRC
if you're around :)

--
Guillaume Paumier

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

ashish173
hey Christian,

Thanks for showing interest in my idea but apparently i find out that my proposal did not match the scale of the GSoC standards.
I searched and found that joomla is open source and it can used to integrate within owncloud. This will facilitate the owner to maintain the content and share it with collaborators in real time .
I would like to know what others think about the idea and its sophistication .

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Christian Reiner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ashish,

On Thursday 28 March 2013 05:33:30 Ashish Singh wrote:
> [...]
> My proposal for OwnCloud software is the integration of a webhost(static
> pages)
> [...]

the idea of a simple "homepage app" has been brought up some month before.
I like that idea, since it does not require the user to install a some
separate software or files and keeps things inside a single framework. And
from my point of view a personal presentation / personal homepage is part of
personal information management. Which is why I think it does fit in.

However I wonder why you want to restrict the features to static pages only?
I'd suggest to take a look around for some very basic and easy to use simple
cms engine that can be integrated into ownCloud as an app. Sounds much more
convenient to use to me for ordinary users compared to having to write static
html pages by hand and upload them. I am sure there is some simple engine
available with a matching license.

What do you think?

Christian Reiner (arkascha) (arkascha)

Re: Idea for GSoC 2013 Webhost in the cloud static pages

Christian Reiner-2
Hello Ashish,

On Friday 29 March 2013 04:26:55 Ashish Singh wrote:
> Thanks for showing interest in my idea but apparently i find out that my
> proposal did not match the scale of the GSoC standards.
ok, that might well be. I have no idea about their requirements myself. But
indeed I would expect that more general approaches adding features or
principles to the core are better accepted than standalone app additions.

> I searched and found that joomla <http://www.joomla.org/> is open
> source and it can used to integrate within owncloud. This will facilitate
> the owner to maintain the content and share it with collaborators in real
> time .
Ok, joomla is wide spread, but in my eyes it is absolute overkill for the task
at hand. There are many free cms systems like that around. However I thought
of something much more simple. Less features, no plugins, nothing fancy, just
the basic machine. The advantage would be 1) a much easier integration and 2)
less confusion and annoyances at runtime.
I have not checked for such an engine myself. But maybe also a simple wiki
engine might do, if it allows some sort of theming.

Not sure, it was just an idea I thought that makes sense.

Christian Reiner (arkascha)