Idea: "Invite to upload/download"

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Idea: "Invite to upload/download"

Jakob Sack-2
Hello,

I recently installed ownCloud on my shared webhosting service (with
PHP+MySQL). It works well so far (considering it is a preview).

Sometimes I want to send large files to friends. At the moment I use FTP to
upload the file to my webspace, send a link to my friend and delete the file
afterwards. However, this is quite inconvenient. My idea is to have an option
to allow unknown users to download a file by sending them an (cryptic) url.
Proposed workflow:

-upload file
-"invite to download"
-enter email address and duration of inventation
-ownCloud sends an email "Hello, send you a file. You can download it here:
URL/files/a5473def"
-guest can download the file as long as the invitation is valid

Of course this could work the other way around. We could have some special
folder called "inbox" and an option "invite to upload". The guest follows the
url and uploads a file. The user sees it in the inbox.

What do you think about this idea?
Cheers,

Jakob
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 230 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
Url : http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/owncloud/attachments/20100330/ff4f1321/attachment.sig 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Idea: "Invite to upload/download"

Jos Poortvliet
On Tuesday 30 March 2010 00:04:18 Jakob Sack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently installed ownCloud on my shared webhosting service (with
> PHP+MySQL). It works well so far (considering it is a preview).
>
> Sometimes I want to send large files to friends. At the moment I use FTP to
> upload the file to my webspace, send a link to my friend and delete the
> file afterwards. However, this is quite inconvenient. My idea is to have
> an option to allow unknown users to download a file by sending them an
> (cryptic) url. Proposed workflow:
>
> -upload file
> -"invite to download"
> -enter email address and duration of inventation
> -ownCloud sends an email "Hello, send you a file. You can download it here:
> URL/files/a5473def"
> -guest can download the file as long as the invitation is valid
>
> Of course this could work the other way around. We could have some special
> folder called "inbox" and an option "invite to upload". The guest follows
> the url and uploads a file. The user sees it in the inbox.
>
> What do you think about this idea?
> Cheers,
>
> Jakob

/me likes, though I have no idea how it could be implemented technically...
You'd like to do that? I think with a simple proposal for how you might
attract more responses ;-)
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
Url : http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/owncloud/attachments/20100403/2ad27990/attachment.sig 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Idea: "Invite to upload/download"

Hans Bakker
The database could have an upload table with users (including credentials)
which are allowed to upload to the inbox folder, and the expiration date of
the invite.

The database could also have a download table, again with the random link
name and with the file the link refers to.

2010/4/3 Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>

> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 00:04:18 Jakob Sack wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently installed ownCloud on my shared webhosting service (with
> > PHP+MySQL). It works well so far (considering it is a preview).
> >
> > Sometimes I want to send large files to friends. At the moment I use FTP
> to
> > upload the file to my webspace, send a link to my friend and delete the
> > file afterwards. However, this is quite inconvenient. My idea is to have
> > an option to allow unknown users to download a file by sending them an
> > (cryptic) url. Proposed workflow:
> >
> > -upload file
> > -"invite to download"
> > -enter email address and duration of inventation
> > -ownCloud sends an email "Hello, send you a file. You can download it
> here:
> > URL/files/a5473def"
> > -guest can download the file as long as the invitation is valid
> >
> > Of course this could work the other way around. We could have some
> special
> > folder called "inbox" and an option "invite to upload". The guest follows
> > the url and uploads a file. The user sees it in the inbox.
> >
> > What do you think about this idea?
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jakob
>
> /me likes, though I have no idea how it could be implemented technically...
> You'd like to do that? I think with a simple proposal for how you might
> attract more responses ;-)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Owncloud mailing list
> Owncloud at kde.org
> https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/owncloud
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/owncloud/attachments/20100403/e6fad425/attachment.htm 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Idea: "Invite to upload/download"

Jakob Sack-2
Am Samstag, 3. April 2010 14:04:35 schrieb Hans Bakker:
> The database could have an upload table with users (including credentials)
> which are allowed to upload to the inbox folder, and the expiration date of
> the invite.
>
> The database could also have a download table, again with the random link
> name and with the file the link refers to.

Hi,

this sounds quite good. Unfortunately, I have not the time to implement this.

Jakob
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 230 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
Url : http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/owncloud/attachments/20100403/b6f9d6a7/attachment.sig