Ideas for improving owncloud

srikanth tiyyagura
Hi to all,

   I am interested in participating G SOC. In that context , I met
Robin Appelman (icewind_) in IRC.
He suggested me to work on the following ideas ..

1) Versioning of files with git
2) sharing
3) rss reader that syncs with akregator
4) KConfig backend

          I selected versioning of git , eventhough I dont know
anything about it but I have coding experience and interest. I started
searching for php library that deals with git. . .

 Anybody know about git and versioning, guide me please ....

This mail is just an intimation of ideas that have to be implemented
for owncloud.

Regards
Srikanth Tiyyagura

Re: Ideas for improving owncloud

Fabio Alessandro Locati
I would suggest to look in a MongoDB idea, because this would make the
sharing very efficient, easy and secure, the only downside is that we have
to implement the versioning. We could keep a db of deltas and a db with all
the 'last version' of the objects.

2011/2/23 srikanth tiyyagura <srikanth.tulasiram at gmail.com>

> Hi to all,
>
>   I am interested in participating G SOC. In that context , I met
> Robin Appelman (icewind_) in IRC.
> He suggested me to work on the following ideas ..
>
> 1) Versioning of files with git
> 2) sharing
> 3) rss reader that syncs with akregator
> 4) KConfig backend
>
>          I selected versioning of git , eventhough I dont know
> anything about it but I have coding experience and interest. I started
> searching for php library that deals with git. . .
>
>  Anybody know about git and versioning, guide me please ....
>

> This mail is just an intimation of ideas that have to be implemented
> for owncloud.
>

> Regards
> Srikanth Tiyyagura

Re: Ideas for improving owncloud

Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho
On Wednesday 23 February 2011 15:55:02 Fabio Alessandro Locati wrote:
> I would suggest to look in a MongoDB idea, because this would make the
> sharing very efficient, easy and secure, the only downside is that we have
> to implement the versioning. We could keep a db of deltas and a db with all
> the 'last version' of the objects.

I think Git is simpler than that.
I saves all copies of a file. There is no need to use deltas. ;-)
I recommend to read the chapter 9 of Pro Git:
http://progit.org/book/ch9-0.html

I think that it will be necessary to modify the way that git works because it
was created to provide versions for the whole repository (like SVN) and not
per file (like CVS) as used in other services. Anyway, this can simplify
everything.

> 2011/2/23 srikanth tiyyagura <srikanth.tulasiram at gmail.com>
> >          I selected versioning of git , eventhough I dont know
> >
> > anything about it but I have coding experience and interest. I started
> > searching for php library that deals with git. . .
> >
> >  Anybody know about git and versioning, guide me please ....

If you need help to understand how git works, feel free to contact me.
I'm not a git developper, but I've studied it.

Tulio Magno

Re: Ideas for improving owncloud

Klaas Freitag
Am Mittwoch 23 Februar 2011, 19:55:02 schrieb Fabio Alessandro Locati:

Hi,

> I would suggest to look in a MongoDB idea, because this would make the
> sharing very efficient...
I very much like the idea of thinking of nosql databases and stuff, but
I'd strongly suggest one thing: Keep these kind of extensions optional.

For me, one of the greatest benefits of ownCloud is that its small and
installs within minutes. It currently has so little dependencies that it
runs on a quite cheap web hosting offering which only allows php, maybe
mysql. These benefits go away if we add for example MongoDB.

regards,
Klaas

2011/2/24 Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho <tuliom at quites.com.br>

> On Wednesday 23 February 2011 15:55:02 Fabio Alessandro Locati wrote:
> > I would suggest to look in a MongoDB idea, because this would make the
> > sharing very efficient, easy and secure, the only downside is that we
> have
> > to implement the versioning. We could keep a db of deltas and a db with
> all
> > the 'last version' of the objects.
>
> I think Git is simpler than that.
> I saves all copies of a file. There is no need to use deltas. ;-)
> I recommend to read the chapter 9 of Pro Git:
> http://progit.org/book/ch9-0.html
>
> I think that it will be necessary to modify the way that git works because
> it
> was created to provide versions for the whole repository (like SVN) and not
> per file (like CVS) as used in other services. Anyway, this can simplify
> everything.

The problem with git,  is sharing, not the versioning ;)

2011/2/24 Klaas Freitag <freitag at kde.org>

> Am Mittwoch 23 Februar 2011, 19:55:02 schrieb Fabio Alessandro Locati:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I would suggest to look in a MongoDB idea, because this would make the
> > sharing very efficient...
> I very much like the idea of thinking of nosql databases and stuff, but
> I'd strongly suggest one thing: Keep these kind of extensions optional.

Yep, I think you're right. We could use mongodb if a person would like the
sharing capabilities, and git if someone is not willing to use them.

Am Donnerstag 24 Februar 2011, 11:14:41 schrieb Fabio Alessandro Locati:

> 2011/2/24 Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho <tuliom at quites.com.br>
>
> > On Wednesday 23 February 2011 15:55:02 Fabio Alessandro Locati wrote:
> > > I would suggest to look in a MongoDB idea, because this would make the
> > > sharing very efficient, easy and secure, the only downside is that we
> >
> > have
> >
> > > to implement the versioning. We could keep a db of deltas and a db with
> >
> > all
> >
> > > the 'last version' of the objects.
> >
> > I think Git is simpler than that.
> > I saves all copies of a file. There is no need to use deltas. ;-)
> > I recommend to read the chapter 9 of Pro Git:
> > http://progit.org/book/ch9-0.html
> >
> > I think that it will be necessary to modify the way that git works
> > because it
> > was created to provide versions for the whole repository (like SVN) and
> > not per file (like CVS) as used in other services. Anyway, this can
> > simplify everything.
>
> The problem with git,  is sharing, not the versioning ;)
Why don't we investigate to implement the WebDAV sharing extension? It's
described here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3253

And what is meant with "sharing"? Can we elaborate on this a bit more? I was
thinking a web resource, protected by groups and user permissions is already
very good at sharing?

Maybe I misunderstand...

regards,

Klaas

Re: Ideas for improving owncloud

Fabio Alessandro Locati
2011/2/24 Klaas Freitag <freitag at kde.org>

> > The problem with git,  is sharing, not the versioning ;)
> Why don't we investigate to implement the WebDAV sharing extension? It's
> described here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3253

I think that document speaks about versioning and not sharing.

> And what is meant with "sharing"? Can we elaborate on this a bit more? I
> was
> thinking a web resource, protected by groups and user permissions is
> already
> very good at sharing?

That's a very good question. When I speak about sharing, I think about a
system that allows me to choose with whom (persons or groups) I would like
to share a given file (or folder) and allows me to establish how much power
do they have on the file I shared (read only,  read/write, adminship). I
also think about some kind of 'hot links' that I can give to anyone I like
to see for a given amount of time (in days, time that the url is opened,
etc) the document.

Regards,
Fabio

Re: Ideas for improving owncloud

Jos Poortvliet
On 2011-02-24 Fabio wrote:
> 2011/2/24 Klaas Freitag <freitag at kde.org>
>
> > > The problem with git,  is sharing, not the versioning ;)
> >
> > Why don't we investigate to implement the WebDAV sharing extension?
> > It's described here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3253
>
> I think that document speaks about versioning and not sharing.

Ok, maybe wrong document - but the WebDav sharing plugin for Git came up
at a discussion yesterday at SCALE about artists having trouble with the
complicated GIT. Having a WebDav folder (which they can just open in any
KDE app or mount for non-KDE apps) where they can drop files which are
then available in GIT is just awesome ;-)

If OwnCloud could implement this I'm sure the openSUSE Artists would be
the first to use it... ;-)

> > And what is meant with "sharing"? Can we elaborate on this a bit
> > more? I was
> > thinking a web resource, protected by groups and user permissions
> > is already
> > very good at sharing?
>
> That's a very good question. When I speak about sharing, I think
> about a system that allows me to choose with whom (persons or
> groups) I would like to share a given file (or folder) and allows me
> to establish how much power do they have on the file I shared (read
> only,  read/write, adminship). I also think about some kind of 'hot
> links' that I can give to anyone I like to see for a given amount of
> time (in days, time that the url is opened, etc) the document.
>
> Regards,
> Fabio

On 24 February 2011 04:30, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho
<tuliom at quites.com.br> wrote:

> I think Git is simpler than that.
> I saves all copies of a file. There is no need to use deltas. ;-)

One problem with git is that it does not resume a broken transfer.
Also git does not have an API/library so you will have to call it on
the command line all the time.

> I think that it will be necessary to modify the way that git works because it
> was created to provide versions for the whole repository (like SVN) and not
> per file (like CVS) as used in other services. Anyway, this can simplify
> everything.

I dont think this is a big problem. One can use git log filename to
find out the revisions which touch a particular file, or use git blame
to see changes line by line. One can even implement a timelapse viewer
on git much like
http://filehost.perforce.com/downloads/media/tlv/tlv.html. A user can
selectively overwrite a file at a particular version and we re-commit
this in the background. All these are issues for the developer, not
the user.
Debayan Banerjee

Glip may help in this case: http://fimml.at/#glip

> > I think that it will be necessary to modify the way that git works
> > because it was created to provide versions for the whole repository
> > (like SVN) and not per file (like CVS) as used in other services.
> > Anyway, this can simplify everything.
>
> I dont think this is a big problem. One can use git log filename to
> find out the revisions which touch a particular file, or use git blame
> to see changes line by line. One can even implement a timelapse viewer
> on git much like
> http://filehost.perforce.com/downloads/media/tlv/tlv.html. A user can
> selectively overwrite a file at a particular version and we re-commit
> this in the background. All these are issues for the developer, not
> the user.

You are right.
Thanks for commenting. :-)

Tulio Magno

Re: Ideas for improving owncloud

Riccardo Iaconelli
On Thursday 24 February 2011 11:16:38 Fabio Alessandro Locati wrote:
> Yep, I think you're right. We could use mongodb if a person would like the
> sharing capabilities, and git if someone is not willing to use them.

As everybody here says: we can't support everything on the $1/year El-cheapo
hosts :)

Bye,
-Riccardo
On Tuesday 01 March 2011 21:57:23 Debayan Banerjee wrote:
> One problem with git is that it does not resume a broken transfer.
> Also git does not have an API/library so you will have to call it on
> the command line all the time.

If it's just used on the server, it isn't too much of a problem...

Bye,
-Riccardo