KDE/OwnCloud file sync client

Matthew Dawson-2
Hey all,

I've been working on a OwnCloud synchronization client called OwnSync.  The client is pre-alpha currently, and is available from kde's git infrastructure at:
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch/mdawson/ownsyncclient.git (client)
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch/mdawson/ownsyncserverplugin.git (OwnCloud plugin, must go in a plugin folder named ownsync)

It makes use of the plugin to calculate required data serverside to avoid unnecessary file transfer.  The plugin will also implement rsync like file transfers later as well.

I'm working on finishing off some rough edges before making the project more official, and I'm interested in what the rest of the OwnCloud community thinks.  Currently the only real interface is a testing client and the real interface would be a full gui program and would look much better.  The client is located in the termcli folder, and will output its help information when run with --help.  Note that the client requires an X11 connection as it is a full KDE app for now.

Thanks for your time,

Matthew
Am Montag 14 M?rz 2011, 03:42:02 schrieb Matthew Dawson:
Hi Matthew,

> I'm working on finishing off some rough edges before making the project
> more official, and I'm interested in what the rest of the OwnCloud
> community thinks.  Currently the only real interface is a testing client
> and the real interface would be a full gui program and would look much
> better.  The client is located in the termcli folder, and will output its
> help information when run with --help.  Note that the client requires an
> X11 connection as it is a full KDE app for now.
I compiled it and installed the plugin. But the termcli did not return for
me, nothing happened. Obviously I did something wrong.

I am also interested in a proper file sync library for the owncloudification
of my project Kraft [1] but I was thinking on doing it on base of WebDAV,
with the help of webdav attributes for the file version.
Did you consider that?

BTW - there is a qt based webdav lib here:
http://dev.iksaif.net/projects/qwebdav

I made some experiments with it and found it useful.

regards,
Klaas

[1] http://volle-kraft-voraus.de

Re: KDE/OwnCloud file sync client

Matthew Dawson-2
Hi Klaas,

On Wednesday 16 March 2011 10:00:16 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> I compiled it and installed the plugin. But the termcli did not return for
> me, nothing happened. Obviously I did something wrong.
Error handling is one of the rough edges.  Thats why its still pre-alpha.  If it just hangs when something wrong happens.  Note that the client doesn't give feedback as data is collected, so it could appear that nothing is happening while data is collected.  Also make sure you have debug output enabled, as that is the only way status messages are printed.

> I am also interested in a proper file sync library for the owncloudification
> of my project Kraft [1] but I was thinking on doing it on base of WebDAV,
> with the help of webdav attributes for the file version.
> Did you consider that?
I did think of using webdav, but then I can't do an rsync like transfer to owncloud.  I was able to quickly build the necessary plugin for owncloud to get basic full file uploading, and later I intend to put the rsync transfer there.  The plugin I'm developing has a simple interface, and could be used for any other project, including Kraft.

Also I'm intending to keep the actually sync code separate from the gui in its own library.  It currently builds the library but its not setup to actually install or be used externally (its also not ready, important things like d-ptrs are missing).  You could potentially use that library in the future inside your Kraft.  Let me know if you would be interested, as its still easy to change the design if it can fit.

Matthew
On Sunday 13 March 2011 21:42:02 Matthew Dawson wrote:
> I'm working on finishing off some rough edges before making the project more
> official, and I'm interested in what the rest of the OwnCloud community
> thinks.  Currently the only real interface is a testing client and the real
> interface would be a full gui program and would look much better.  The
> client is located in the termcli folder, and will output its help
> information when run with --help.  Note that the client requires an X11
> connection as it is a full KDE app for now.

Hi,
have you taken a look at akunambol/SyncML?

Bye,
-Riccardo