License

Tim Atkins
Hi:

I've been reading other similar questions in the forums, but some of them refer to this mailing list to be safe.

We are planing to include owncloud as part of a bigger software, since the cloud features are solid and good enough (good job! by the way).

We do understand the AGPL license, but we want to be sure.

If we code new owncloud applications and we don't change the core, that new programming, as it's addon to the core, would apply AGPL also ? Would we need to apply AGPL to those addons applications we would do ?

Thank you in advance !

Re: License

hippykilla

Call an I lawyer to be sure. That's me.

regards,

Derek Broes

~>《Sent via rooted android. All typos are result of a keyboard built for hobbit and the dislexic human using it 》<~

On Dec 18, 2013 3:03 PM, "Tim Atkins" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi:

I've been reading other similar questions in the forums, but some of them refer to this mailing list to be safe.

We are planing to include owncloud as part of a bigger software, since the cloud features are solid and good enough (good job! by the way).

We do understand the AGPL license, but we want to be sure.

If we code new owncloud applications and we don't change the core, that new programming, as it's addon to the core, would apply AGPL also ? Would we need to apply AGPL to those addons applications we would do ?

Thank you in advance !

Re: License

Tim Atkins
The issue is that I do not how to apply the AGPL license in a software which one of the features is to create new applications as addons to the core.

If the core is not modified, should that application be affected by AGPL and need to be published as AGPL as well ?

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Derek Broes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Antonello Carlomagno
Hello Tim,
we had the same problem but no one has been able to answer ... Also in other projects.
It seems that they all apply these licenses but then no one can give concrete answers

kind regards
Antonello

Il 19/12/13 00:11, Tim Atkins ha scritto:
[...]

Stefan Schmidt
Hello.

On Thu, 2013-12-19 at 09:37, Antonello Carlomagno wrote:
>    Hello Tim,
>    we had the same problem but no one has been able to answer ... Also in
>    other projects.
>    It seems that they all apply these licenses but then no one can give
>    concrete answers

I'm sure they know pretty well what the license covers and what not.

The point is that you want to hear a legal interpretation from them.
It all comes down to that you want to use their software and you have
legal questions which makes it only logical that you consult your
legal department or lawyer.

If all your changes would be available as Open Source and you would
contribute your changes back none of these questions would arise
anyway.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

Re: License

Frank Karlitschek-3

On 19.12.2013, at 00:03, Tim Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've been reading other similar questions in the forums, but some of them refer to this mailing list to be safe.
>
> We are planing to include owncloud as part of a bigger software, since the cloud features are solid and good enough (good job! by the way).
>
> We do understand the AGPL license, but we want to be sure.
>
> If we code new owncloud applications and we don't change the core, that new programming, as it's addon to the core, would apply AGPL also ? Would we need to apply AGPL to those addons applications we would do ?

It depends what addons you mean here.
Applications who are running "out of process" can have any license you choose. Examples are mobile apps, desktop apps, server applications that interact with ownCloud via WebDAV der the REST APIs and so on. AGPL doesn't restrict anything here.

Addons that are running in the same process as ownCloud has to have the same license or a compatible license as ownCloud. This is the case for PHP code that is used to extend ownCloud like the ownCloud apps. Compatible licenses are AGPL itself and every other license that has less restrictions for the users like Apache or MIT.

Frank

> Thank you in advance !

Re: License

Tim Atkins
This answer confuses me more ;-)

And what about a PHP software (out of the box) that use the owncloud's REST APIs ?

You tell about mobile apps, desktop apps interacting with ownCloud via REST APIs ... you can have a webpage/software in other server, interacting via REST API's with a ownCloud installation in other server.

Does that PHP source code (and the HTML views generated for User Experience) need to have the AGPL license ?

I'm not trying to not credit ownCloud (it has to!), but avoiding to need to give AGPL license to our main software, that would use ownCloud cloud features for files, but nothing else more.

Thank you Frank

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Frank Karlitschek <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19.12.2013, at 00:03, Tim Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've been reading other similar questions in the forums, but some of them refer to this mailing list to be safe.
>
> We are planing to include owncloud as part of a bigger software, since the cloud features are solid and good enough (good job! by the way).
>
> We do understand the AGPL license, but we want to be sure.
>
> If we code new owncloud applications and we don't change the core, that new programming, as it's addon to the core, would apply AGPL also ? Would we need to apply AGPL to those addons applications we would do ?

It depends what addons you mean here.
Applications who are running "out of process" can have any license you choose. Examples are mobile apps, desktop apps, server applications that interact with ownCloud via WebDAV der the REST APIs and so on. AGPL doesn't restrict anything here.

Addons that are running in the same process as ownCloud has to have the same license or a compatible license as ownCloud. This is the case for PHP code that is used to extend ownCloud like the ownCloud apps. Compatible licenses are AGPL itself and every other license that has less restrictions for the users like Apache or MIT.

Frank

> Thank you in advance !

Re: License

Sebastian Kügler
On Thursday, December 19, 2013 19:19:28 Tim Atkins wrote:

> And what about a PHP software (out of the box) that use the owncloud's REST
> APIs ?
>
> You tell about mobile apps, desktop apps interacting with ownCloud via REST
> APIs ... you can have a webpage/software in other server, interacting via
> REST API's with a ownCloud installation in other server.
>
> Does that PHP source code (and the HTML views generated for User Experience)
> need to have the AGPL license ?
>
> I'm not trying to not credit ownCloud (it has to!), but avoiding to need to
> give AGPL license to our main software, that would use ownCloud cloud
> features for files, but nothing else more.

Common understanding of Free software licensing is that you don't have to make
your app AGPL.

Here's why you should talk to a lawyer nevertheless:

- interpretation of this licensing situation changes per jurisdiction
- your description may be incomplete to judge the situation
- I am not a lawyer

sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org | GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9

Re: License

Frank Karlitschek-3

On 19.12.2013, at 19:19, Tim Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This answer confuses me more ;-)

Sorry for the confusion. Licenses are sometimes tricky.

> And what about a PHP software (out of the box) that use the owncloud's REST APIs ?
>
> You tell about mobile apps, desktop apps interacting with ownCloud via REST APIs ... you can have a webpage/software in other server, interacting via REST API's with a ownCloud installation in other server.
>
> Does that PHP source code (and the HTML views generated for User Experience) need to have the AGPL license ?
>
> I'm not trying to not credit ownCloud (it has to!), but avoiding to need to give AGPL license to our main software, that would use ownCloud cloud features for files, but nothing else more.

Sorry I wasn't clear here. The licenses don't care about development languages or other technologies. The question is if it runs in the same process or not. If it runs in the same process then you extend/change ownCloud in the FSF definition. In this case you have to choose a compatible license. If your software is running in a different process and you only communicate with ownCloud via the REST/WebDAV APIs then your software is clearly independent from ownCloud. So you can choose any license you want.

So you can choose any license you want in your scenario where you build an independent application using PHP that communicates with ownCloud via the REST/WebDAV.