Making Owncloud backups safely

Disco Patrick
Hi all. The Owncloud admin manual recommends that nightly backups (with service interruption) can be achieved by shutting down apache before copying the files and dumping the database. https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/deployment_recommendations.html#small-workgroups-or-departments

Can I take this to mean that this is a safe way of backing up Owncloud? My concern was that I wasn't sure how to stop (or wait to finish) any sync or other operations that were currently happening. Would shutting down apache achieve this? I'm not too worried if a sync is interrupted and needs to be restarted later. Downtime is not an issue for me. I just want to avoid data corruption. Perhaps I don't even need to be concerned about the above?

Best,
Patrick

Re: Making Owncloud backups safely

Joas Schilling
HI,

on my servers I first send the issue to maintenance mode:
./occ maintenance:mode --on
Then I shut down apache:
service apache2 stop

But yes, should be resumable after the backup and should work fine.

cheers

Hi all. The Owncloud admin manual recommends that nightly backups (with service interruption) can be achieved by shutting down apache before copying the files and dumping the database. [https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/deployment_recommendations.html #small-workgroups-or- departments](https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/deployment_recommendations.html #small-workgroups-or-departments)