Mockup (1 - Files)

12

Mockup (1 - Files)

François K.
Hi !

Thanks for your replies, this is very motivating :)
As promised, I've spent a couple hours making an online mockup for the "Files thing". It can be seen here : http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/

I've added a bit of javascript (thanks jQuery) to show some interaction. This is a mockup, so don't expect JS to work perfectly. It also misses a few icons. I don't have KDE's here right now, and will add them asap.

Feel free to make any comment, they will be much more appreciated. Depending on them, I'll go on with this 'model'...or not :)

Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Frank Karlitschek
Hi Fran?ois,

wow. This looks really nice. I like it a lot!!!!

The only minor issue I have is that the blue in the header is conflicting with the colors in the ownCloud logo. But this is really a minor issue! :-)

I would like to have your interface for the next ownCloud version if you ask me. :-)

What do the other think?

On 04.11.2010, at 15:20, Fran?ois K. wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Thanks for your replies, this is very motivating :)
> As promised, I've spent a couple hours making an online mockup for the "Files thing". It can be seen here : http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/
>
> I've added a bit of javascript (thanks jQuery) to show some interaction. This is a mockup, so don't expect JS to work perfectly. It also misses a few icons. I don't have KDE's here right now, and will add them asap.
>
> Feel free to make any comment, they will be much more appreciated. Depending on them, I'll go on with this 'model'...or not :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Fran?ois

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

pascal_dher

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Robin Appelman
Hey

It looks great, with some minor changes it can be included in the next
ownCloud for my part

 - Robin Appelman

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

info@s8inac.org
Hey,

looks nice. I fully agree with Frank.

kinds regards
-Simon

> Zitat von Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>:
> Hi Fran?ois,
>
> wow. This looks really nice. I like it a lot!!!!
>
> The only minor issue I have is that the blue in the header is
> conflicting with the colors in the ownCloud logo. But this is really
>  a minor issue! :-)
>

> I would like to have your interface for the next ownCloud version if
>  you ask me. :-)
>
> What do the other think?
>

> Cheers
> Frank
>

> On 04.11.2010, at 15:20, Fran?ois K. wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>> Thanks for your replies, this is very motivating :)
>> As promised, I've spent a couple hours making an online mockup for
>> the "Files thing". It can be seen here :
>> http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/
>>
>> I've added a bit of javascript (thanks jQuery) to show some
>> interaction. This is a mockup, so don't expect JS to work
>> perfectly. It also misses a few icons. I don't have KDE's here
>> right now, and will add them asap.
>>
>> Feel free to make any comment, they will be much more appreciated.
>> Depending on them, I'll go on with this 'model'...or not :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Fran?ois

> Frank Karlitschek
> karlitschek at kde.org

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

François K.
Hey,

Thank you all for your replies. I'm glad you like it.

I also agree for the blue header. I'll try to fix that asap.
I added some missing icons but I still miss a few.

If you have ideas for both header color and icons, please let me know :)
Otherwise, I'll try to fix them by myself and go back to you.

Regarding integration, I'll try to connect to the IRC channel in the next few days to see how it can be achieved.
I have a bunch of questions regarding markup and how we can work together.

Please also remember that this is just one screen, and that the other will also need to be discussed and then integrated !

Thanks again, and feel free to make any comment to improve the work !

--
Fran?ois

Envoy?: Jeudi 4 Novembre 2010 18h06:03 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Berne / Rome / Stockholm / Vienne
Objet: Re: [Owncloud] Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Hey,

looks nice. I fully agree with Frank.

kinds regards
-Simon

> Zitat von Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>:
> Hi Fran?ois,
>
> wow. This looks really nice. I like it a lot!!!!
>
> The only minor issue I have is that the blue in the header is
> conflicting with the colors in the ownCloud logo. But this is really
>  a minor issue! :-)
>

> I would like to have your interface for the next ownCloud version if
>  you ask me. :-)
>
> What do the other think?
>

> Cheers
> Frank
>

> On 04.11.2010, at 15:20, Fran?ois K. wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>> Thanks for your replies, this is very motivating :)
>> As promised, I've spent a couple hours making an online mockup for
>> the "Files thing". It can be seen here :
>> http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/
>>
>> I've added a bit of javascript (thanks jQuery) to show some
>> interaction. This is a mockup, so don't expect JS to work
>> perfectly. It also misses a few icons. I don't have KDE's here
>> right now, and will add them asap.
>>
>> Feel free to make any comment, they will be much more appreciated.
>> Depending on them, I'll go on with this 'model'...or not :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Fran?ois

> Frank Karlitschek
> karlitschek at kde.org

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Frank Karlitschek
Sounds perfect.

We are in feature freeze at the moment for version 1.1
But new feature commit should be possible in 1-2 weeks.

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

François K.
Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 18:06:03, info at s8inac.org a ?crit :

> Hey,
>
> looks nice. I fully agree with Frank.
>
> kinds regards
> -Simon
>
> > Zitat von Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>:
> > Hi Fran?ois,
> >
> > wow. This looks really nice. I like it a lot!!!!
> >
> > The only minor issue I have is that the blue in the header is
> > conflicting with the colors in the ownCloud logo. But this is really
> >
> >  a minor issue! :-)
> >
> > I would like to have your interface for the next ownCloud version if
> >
> >  you ask me. :-)
> >
> > What do the other think?
> >

> > Cheers
> > Frank
> >
> > On 04.11.2010, at 15:20, Fran?ois K. wrote:
> >> Hi !
> >>
> >> Thanks for your replies, this is very motivating :)
> >> As promised, I've spent a couple hours making an online mockup for
> >> the "Files thing". It can be seen here :
> >> http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/
> >>
> >> I've added a bit of javascript (thanks jQuery) to show some
> >> interaction. This is a mockup, so don't expect JS to work
> >> perfectly. It also misses a few icons. I don't have KDE's here
> >> right now, and will add them asap.
> >>
> >> Feel free to make any comment, they will be much more appreciated.
> >> Depending on them, I'll go on with this 'model'...or not :)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Fran?ois
> >
> > --
> > Frank Karlitschek
> > karlitschek at kde.org

Hi !

I've made a little update. The URL is  the same :
http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html

I updated the list which is now taking the whole horizontal space. This was
suggested by leinir on IRC.
Also, I made a very-light-grey version of the logo to go along with the
header. I couldn't find any blue to fit with the original logo.

Again, these are proposals, feel free to comment :)

Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Robin Appelman
Hey,
you could set with width of all fields in the list except the name to
a fixed smaller size, and let the name field use the available screen
space, since that one is the most likely to become large

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 21:53, Fran?ois <daitheflu at free.fr> wrote:

> Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 18:06:03, info at s8inac.org a ?crit :
>> Hey,
>>
>> looks nice. I fully agree with Frank.
>>
>> kinds regards
>> -Simon
>>
>> > Zitat von Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>:
>> > Hi Fran?ois,
>> >
>> > wow. This looks really nice. I like it a lot!!!!
>> >
>> > The only minor issue I have is that the blue in the header is
>> > conflicting with the colors in the ownCloud logo. But this is really
>> >
>> > ?a minor issue! :-)
>> >
>> > I would like to have your interface for the next ownCloud version if
>> >
>> > ?you ask me. :-)
>> >
>> > What do the other think?
>> >

>> > Cheers
>> > Frank

>> > --
>> > Frank Karlitschek
>> > karlitschek at kde.org

> Hi !
>
> I've made a little update. The URL is ?the same :
> http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html
>
> I updated the list which is now taking the whole horizontal space. This was
> suggested by leinir on IRC.
> Also, I made a very-light-grey version of the logo to go along with the
> header. I couldn't find any blue to fit with the original logo.
>
> Again, these are proposals, feel free to comment :)
>
> --
> Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

François K.
Le lundi 8 novembre 2010 23:09:42, vous avez ?crit :
> Hey,
> you could set with width of all fields in the list except the name to
> a fixed smaller size, and let the name field use the available screen
> space, since that one is the most likely to become large

Yes I can. The reason why I didn't is that it's a table. And HTML tables will
stretch automatically if more space is needed.
But I can set a fixed width for both size and date columns (I'll do that
tomorrow :) )

--
Fran?ois

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 21:53, Fran?ois <daitheflu at free.fr> wrote:
> > Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 18:06:03, info at s8inac.org a ?crit :
> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> looks nice. I fully agree with Frank.
> >>
> >> kinds regards
> >> -Simon

> > Hi !
> >
> > I've made a little update. The URL is  the same :
> > http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html
> >
> > I updated the list which is now taking the whole horizontal space. This
> > was suggested by leinir on IRC.
> > Also, I made a very-light-grey version of the logo to go along with the
> > header. I couldn't find any blue to fit with the original logo.
> >
> > Again, these are proposals, feel free to comment :)
> >
> > --
> > Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

kees
When the file browser uses the complete screen width, it may be useful to
move the context menu (download, share, delete etc.) to the left, because
scrolling 20" on one line isn't fun.

 - Kees Huiberts

On Monday 08 November 2010 23:22:26 Fran?ois wrote:

> Le lundi 8 novembre 2010 23:09:42, vous avez ?crit :
> > Hey,
> > you could set with width of all fields in the list except the name to
> > a fixed smaller size, and let the name field use the available screen
> > space, since that one is the most likely to become large
>
> Yes I can. The reason why I didn't is that it's a table. And HTML tables
> will stretch automatically if more space is needed.
> But I can set a fixed width for both size and date columns (I'll do that
> tomorrow :) )
>
> > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 21:53, Fran?ois <daitheflu at free.fr> wrote:
> > > Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 18:06:03, info at s8inac.org a ?crit :

appreciated.

> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I've made a little update. The URL is  the same :
> > > http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html
> > >
> > > I updated the list which is now taking the whole horizontal space. This
> > > was suggested by leinir on IRC.
> > > Also, I made a very-light-grey version of the logo to go along with the
> > > header. I couldn't find any blue to fit with the original logo.
> > >
> > > Again, these are proposals, feel free to comment :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

François K.
Hi !

@kees : Thanks you for your comment :)

This is exactly what I expected. This is also why I fixed the size of the list on my first shot.
To me, adding the little arrow at the end of the filename isn't the solution either since it won't be vertically aligned and, as a consequence, will decrease usability.

What do others think about that ?

--
Fran?ois

Envoy?: Mardi 9 Novembre 2010 07h30:26 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Berne / Rome / Stockholm / Vienne
Objet: [Owncloud] Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

When the file browser uses the complete screen width, it may be useful to
move the context menu (download, share, delete etc.) to the left, because
scrolling 20" on one line isn't fun.

 - Kees Huiberts

On Monday 08 November 2010 23:22:26 Fran?ois wrote:

> Le lundi 8 novembre 2010 23:09:42, vous avez ?crit :
> > Hey,
> > you could set with width of all fields in the list except the name to
> > a fixed smaller size, and let the name field use the available screen
> > space, since that one is the most likely to become large
>
> Yes I can. The reason why I didn't is that it's a table. And HTML tables
> will stretch automatically if more space is needed.
> But I can set a fixed width for both size and date columns (I'll do that
> tomorrow :) )
>
> > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 21:53, Fran?ois <daitheflu at free.fr> wrote:
> > > Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 18:06:03, info at s8inac.org a ?crit :

appreciated.

> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I've made a little update. The URL is  the same :
> > > http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html
> > >
> > > I updated the list which is now taking the whole horizontal space. This
> > > was suggested by leinir on IRC.
> > > Also, I made a very-light-grey version of the logo to go along with the
> > > header. I couldn't find any blue to fit with the original logo.
> > >
> > > Again, these are proposals, feel free to comment :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Andrej Čremožnik
Hi!

I've been following the list for a while but haven't had the time to get
involved yet. Anyway...

@Fran?ois, if you want to position something in the middle, there's almost
always a way :) I've created an example here: http://www.pastebin.ca/1986120

Hope it helps

Andrej ?remo?nik

On 9 November 2010 10:35, Fran?ois K. <daitheflu at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> @kees : Thanks you for your comment :)
>
> This is exactly what I expected. This is also why I fixed the size of the
> list on my first shot.
> To me, adding the little arrow at the end of the filename isn't the
> solution either since it won't be vertically aligned and, as a consequence,
> will decrease usability.
>
> What do others think about that ?
>
> --
> Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

François K.
Hi Andrej,

Thank you for your help !
...but I think I don't get what you're pointing. The problem isn't to center things in a cell (in that case, a basic text-align: center; would suffice) but to decide where we put the arrow that opens the context menu.
When the list takes the whole horizontal space, and if you have a "big" screen, it can be a real pain to access it because the file name is on the left, and the arrow button on the right side. So when you read the filenames, and want to interact with one of them, you have to scroll the whole horizontal space to access the arrow button. This is what kees pointed in his last email.
When the list has a smaller fixed width, leinir doesn't like it :)

I personnaly think that a small width is better (even if it lets an empty space on the right) because the table is much more usable this way. But again, this is only my opinion.

@Andrej : sorry if I misunderstand you, please feel free to correct me :)

For now, here are the 2 solutions I can think about to make everyone happy :

1/ Put the arrow button between the checkbox and the filename, but I think it would be weird to have a context menu before the filename, wouldn't it ?
2/ Delete the context menu. We have checkboxes to select files, and the buttons are in the top menu.

What do you all think about this issue ?

--
Fran?ois

Envoy?: Mardi 9 Novembre 2010 07h30:26 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Berne / Rome / Stockholm / Vienne

When the file browser uses the complete screen width, it may be useful to
move the context menu (download, share, delete etc.) to the left, because
scrolling 20" on one line isn't fun.

- Kees Huiberts

On Monday 08 November 2010 23:22:26 Fran?ois wrote:

> Le lundi 8 novembre 2010 23:09:42, vous avez ?crit :
> > Hey,
> > you could set with width of all fields in the list except the name to
> > a fixed smaller size, and let the name field use the available screen
> > space, since that one is the most likely to become large
>
> Yes I can. The reason why I didn't is that it's a table. And HTML tables
> will stretch automatically if more space is needed.
> But I can set a fixed width for both size and date columns (I'll do that
> tomorrow :) )
>
> > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 21:53, Fran?ois < daitheflu at free.fr > wrote:
> > > Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 18:06:03, info at s8inac.org a ?crit :

appreciated.

> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I've made a little update. The URL is the same :
> > > http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html
> > >
> > > I updated the list which is now taking the whole horizontal space. This
> > > was suggested by leinir on IRC.
> > > Also, I made a very-light-grey version of the logo to go along with the
> > > header. I couldn't find any blue to fit with the original logo.
> > >
> > > Again, these are proposals, feel free to comment :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Andrej Čremožnik
Sorry if I wasn't clear before. Of course with center I meant vertical
alignment. My example shows how to put the dropdown arrow right after the
filename and make sure it's correctly vertically aligned in the middle.

I think the code is very straightforward but let me explain once more. When
I talk about line numbers, please refer to the source on
http://www.pastebin.ca/1986120

Alright then:

-lines 1 through 4: As you can see, the arrow anchor isn't in a separate
cell anymore. We put it right after the filename in the same cell. Please
ignore the absence of the image since we will be using css to display it and
not html markup.

-line 3: That is the anchor for the dropdown arrow. The image will be
inserted as a css background for the anchor. The text "Options" (or you can
change it to whatever you would like) is wrapped in an additional span so
that we can hide it later. The text there is important because it will make
sure the arrow is always in the middle of the line if the user changes the
font size - text-zoom.

-line 8 through 12: The first css block sets some properties for all anchors
inside our table cell. We display them as blocks, set their width to auto
which makes them as wide as their contents (filename) and float them left so
that they can be displayed side by side. We also set top and bottom paddings
to add breathing room and vertical-center the text.

-lines 14 through 18: In this block we set the image (arrow) as the
background for the second anchor. The image is not repeated and is centered
in the middle (50% 50% is bg position) of the block. Not that the height of
this block is top padding + text height + bottom padding (which is exactly
the same as the previous filename anchor) and the width is set in css.
Basically this block solves your problem with vertically aligning the arrow
after the filename.

-lines 20 through 24: Well there's that "Options" text that we don't want
displayed because we only want the arrow. We make the span element a block
and make it really wide. Then we align the text inside this span to the
right. Because the parent anchor element has the css property
overflow=hidden, the inner span element will be cut off and the text at the
right end won't be visible.

I hope this makes more sense and if not, just study the code some more. It's
well commented. I also want to point out that this css code works everywhere
(IE included). And the markup is semantically perfect because we use text
and not an image for the anchor element with the drop-down options.

Also make sure you don't use any paddings on the table cells (<td>s) since
you have set paddings on anchors already.

Andrej ?remo?nik

On 9 November 2010 11:53, Fran?ois K. <daitheflu at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi Andrej,
>
> Thank you for your help !
> ...but I think I don't get what you're pointing.

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

François K.
Hey,

I've made a little update yesterday. The URLs are the same :
- http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html for the file browser
- http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/logs.html for the logs.

All fields except filename are now displayed with a fixed size. I also removed the folders specific icons and keep only one.
Also, I made some CSS code cleanup and successfully tested this layout on my Android device, which is, I guess, quite nice :)

I also tried to fix the width of the layout and center it to avoid the horizontal width problem but it didn't look nice at all. So I think we'd better use the whole available space.

By the way, we still need to decide where to put the context menu if we keep it. Here are the 3 solutions I can think about for now (still trying to get new ideas) :

1/ Put the arrow button on the left, between the checkbox and the filename, but I think it would be weird to have a context menu before the filename, wouldn't it ?

2/ Delete the context menu. We have checkboxes to select files, and the buttons are in the top menu.

3/ Put a small icon button for each action on the left (so that mean adding 3 little buttons), between the checkbox and the filename, just like PHPMyAdmin does, for example. The major drawback with this solution is that icons are repeated for each line. If they are not too shiny, it could be a solution.

Fran?ois

Envoy?: Mardi 9 Novembre 2010 07h30:26 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Berne / Rome / Stockholm / Vienne

When the file browser uses the complete screen width, it may be useful to
move the context menu (download, share, delete etc.) to the left, because
scrolling 20" on one line isn't fun.

 - Kees Huiberts

On Monday 08 November 2010 23:22:26 Fran?ois wrote:

> Le lundi 8 novembre 2010 23:09:42, vous avez ?crit :
> > Hey,
> > you could set with width of all fields in the list except the name to
> > a fixed smaller size, and let the name field use the available screen
> > space, since that one is the most likely to become large
>
> Yes I can. The reason why I didn't is that it's a table. And HTML tables
> will stretch automatically if more space is needed.
> But I can set a fixed width for both size and date columns (I'll do that
> tomorrow :) )
>
> > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 21:53, Fran?ois <daitheflu at free.fr> wrote:
> > > Le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 18:06:03, info at s8inac.org a ?crit :

appreciated.

> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I've made a little update. The URL is  the same :
> > > http://www.kubler.org/owncloud-mockups/index.html
> > >
> > > I updated the list which is now taking the whole horizontal space. This
> > > was suggested by leinir on IRC.
> > > Also, I made a very-light-grey version of the logo to go along with the
> > > header. I couldn't find any blue to fit with the original logo.
> > >
> > > Again, these are proposals, feel free to comment :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Fran?ois

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Andrej Čremožnik
I borrowed your mockup Fran?ois and put the arrows after the filename.

This is how it looks like:
http://gradient-design.net/project/owncloud/index.html

Since it's mostly your work if you want me to take it down, i'll do it right
away. Just reconsider the arrows' position please, because this looks much
better imho. What do you think?

P.s. My version obviously needs polishing :)

Andrej ?remo?nik

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Robin Appelman
I prefer Andrej idea of putting the arrows right next to the filename
on the left.
We could try putting the arrows in a column left of the filename to
align them underneath each other

 - Robin Appelman

2010/11/11 Andrej ?remo?nik <andrej.cremoznik at gmail.com>:

> I borrowed your mockup Fran?ois and put the arrows after the filename.
>
> This is how it looks like:
> http://gradient-design.net/project/owncloud/index.html
>
> Since it's mostly your work if you want me to take it down, i'll do it right
> away. Just reconsider the arrows' position please, because this looks much
> better imho. What do you think?
>
> P.s. My version obviously needs polishing :)
>
> Andrej ?remo?nik

Re: Mockup (1 - Files)

Andrej Čremožnik
Arrow before file: