Moving dropbox to ownCloud

Luis Azevedo
My company is changing to ownCloud but has a lot of files in dropbox that need to be moved to ownCloud because they intend to leave dropbox...besides uploading one file at a time is there any other way that might be faster? we are talking about aprox 50GB.

Mapping dropbox as external data storage is not an option as the idea is to leave dropbox.

Best regards,
Luís Azevedo

Re: Moving dropbox to ownCloud

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
You could use the desktop client: http://owncloud.org/sync-clients/
Or upload multiple files at once (folder upload is not possible yet though).

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Luis Azevedo <[hidden email]> wrote:
My company is changing to ownCloud but has a lot of files in dropbox that need to be moved to ownCloud because they intend to leave dropbox...besides uploading one file at a time is there any other way that might be faster? we are talking about aprox 50GB.

Mapping dropbox as external data storage is not an option as the idea is to leave dropbox.

Best regards,
Luís Azevedo

Re: Moving dropbox to ownCloud

Christopher Kunz
Am 10.12.12 11:14, schrieb Jan-Christoph Borchardt:
> You could use the desktop client: http://owncloud.org/sync-clients/
> Or upload multiple files at once (folder upload is not possible yet though).

I think using the desktop client to sync, then copying the contents of
the sync folder into the main folder (or wherever the ex-Dropbox files
are supposed to reside on the OC installation) is the easiest, least
interactive method.

You could use a virtual machine hosted somewhere with $BIGPIPES,
installed with e.g. Ubuntu Desktop, to speed up the synchronization
process if local bandwidth is an issue.

Regards,

--ck

Re: Moving dropbox to ownCloud

Jussi Hirvi
I am an ownCloud newbie, but I would do that by copying it all to a
local directory, then using these directions to mount that directory for
one user.

http://owncloud.org/support/custom-mount-configuration/

(See under "Local filesystem".)

That user can then share the stuff to others, and in doing that, adjust
privileges for individual users (read, write, etc.).

The directions don't mention that you must manually create the directory
in the user's directory (for example <user>/files/newdirectory
)

Watch out for user directory sizes, they may bulge big fast, as ownCloud
saves new versions of files, even if the user only logs in and views
his/her files. I don't know other way to counter this than to remove the
user from time to time and then establish them again.

- Jussi

On 10.12.2012 12.03, Luis Azevedo wrote:

> My company is changing to ownCloud but has a lot of files in dropbox
> that need to be moved to ownCloud because they intend to leave
> dropbox...besides uploading one file at a time is there any other way
> that might be faster? we are talking about aprox 50GB.
>
> Mapping dropbox as external data storage is not an option as the idea is
> to leave dropbox.
>
> Best regards,
> Luís Azevedo

Re: Moving dropbox to ownCloud