Multiple personas or profiles across multiple servers?

Multiple personas or profiles across multiple servers?

Matt Wilkie
Hello,

We're researching different Dropbox-like means of synchronizing across
disparate offices and machines. Owncloud is looking quite attractive
thus far. One of the themes I haven't seen discussed yet, though perhaps
I'm just using the wrong search phrases, is that of multiple personas or
profiles.

For example can a single user sync files with colleagues at work,
extra-cirrucular hobby projects, as well as family, and have each "box"
come from different owncloud servers?

thanks,

--
matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst

Re: Multiple personas or profiles across multiple servers?

Frank Karlitschek-3
Hi matt,

there are several different option to do that if I understood your question correctly.

A user can have different accounts on the same server of course.
Beside that a user or an admin can mount an ownCloud into another one with the external filesystems support. This can than access as one big "virtual" directory tree.

And the mobile client support to connect to different ownClouds at the same time. The Desktop clients will support this very soon.

So there are a lot of different options.

I hope that answers your questions.

Frank

On 13.05.2013, at 22:27, Matt Wilkie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're researching different Dropbox-like means of synchronizing across disparate offices and machines. Owncloud is looking quite attractive thus far. One of the themes I haven't seen discussed yet, though perhaps I'm just using the wrong search phrases, is that of multiple personas or profiles.
>
> For example can a single user sync files with colleagues at work, extra-cirrucular hobby projects, as well as family, and have each "box" come from different owncloud servers?
>
> thanks,
>
> --
> matt wilkie
> Geomatics Analyst
> Information Management and Technology
> Yukon Department of Environment
> 10 Burns Road * Whitehorse, Yukon * Y1A 4Y9
> 867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
> http://environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/geomatics/

Re: Multiple personas or profiles across multiple servers?

Matt Wilkie
Hi Frank,

> And the mobile client support to connect to different ownClouds at the same time. The Desktop clients will support this very soon.

This the scenario I was thinking of, one client, several servers. Good
to know it's coming soon!

On 13/05/2013 1:43 PM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:

> Hi matt,
>
> there are several different option to do that if I understood your question correctly.
>
> A user can have different accounts on the same server of course.
> Beside that a user or an admin can mount an ownCloud into another one with the external filesystems support. This can than access as one big "virtual" directory tree.
>
> And the mobile client support to connect to different ownClouds at the same time. The Desktop clients will support this very soon.
>
> So there are a lot of different options.
>
> I hope that answers your questions.
>
> Frank
>

> On 13.05.2013, at 22:27, Matt Wilkie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We're researching different Dropbox-like means of synchronizing across disparate offices and machines. Owncloud is looking quite attractive thus far. One of the themes I haven't seen discussed yet, though perhaps I'm just using the wrong search phrases, is that of multiple personas or profiles.
>>
>> For example can a single user sync files with colleagues at work, extra-cirrucular hobby projects, as well as family, and have each "box" come from different owncloud servers?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> --
>> matt wilkie
>> Geomatics Analyst
>> Information Management and Technology
>> Yukon Department of Environment
>> 10 Burns Road * Whitehorse, Yukon * Y1A 4Y9
>> 867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
>> http://environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/geomatics/

Re: Multiple personas or profiles across multiple servers?

Andrzej Kwiatkowski
W dniu 13.05.2013 22:43, Frank Karlitschek pisze:

> Hi matt,
>
> there are several different option to do that if I understood your question correctly.
>
> A user can have different accounts on the same server of course.
> Beside that a user or an admin can mount an ownCloud into another one with the external filesystems support. This can than access as one big "virtual" directory tree.
>
> And the mobile client support to connect to different ownClouds at the same time. The Desktop clients will support this very soon.
>
> So there are a lot of different options.
>
> I hope that answers your questions.

Hi, I think that Matt was asking about other option.

If we have Owncloud A with userA nad Owncloud B with userB,
can userA share items to userB on other owncloud instance.

Regards
AK

Re: Multiple personas or profiles across multiple servers?

tharinduDG
Hi,
We are trying to integrate that particular feature for a 3rd party app.We are doing it as our final year university project. Development is underway at the moment.
Thank You

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Andrzej Kwiatkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
W dniu 13.05.2013 22:43, Frank Karlitschek pisze:

Hi matt,

there are several different option to do that if I understood your question correctly.

A user can have different accounts on the same server of course.
Beside that a user or an admin can mount an ownCloud into another one with the external filesystems support. This can than access as one big "virtual" directory tree.

And the mobile client support to connect to different ownClouds at the same time. The Desktop clients will support this very soon.

So there are a lot of different options.

I hope that answers your questions.

Hi, I think that Matt was asking about other option.

If we have Owncloud A with userA nad Owncloud B with userB,
can userA share items to userB on other owncloud instance.

Regards
AK

Re: Multiple personas or profiles across multiple servers?

Matt Wilkie
> If we have Owncloud A with userA nad Owncloud B with userB,
> can userA share items to userB on other owncloud instance.

That would be useful too, but mostly I'm interested being able to have
personal stuff separated from work stuff. I want the contents of both on
my computers, but my personal stuff has no business being synchronised
to our work cloud server, and work stuff can't ever be on my own cloud
server.

cheers,