New sharing arrived, who wants to give it a try?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New sharing arrived, who wants to give it a try?

Bjoern Schiessle
Hi all,

last week we merged some large changes to the files sharing app to our
development branch (master). Basically we removed the "Shared"-folder.
By default shares are now stored in your root folder and you can freely
move and rename them. So you can organize your shared files the way you
wish.

It would be great if as many people as possible could test it, so that
we can iron out the last remaining bugs before the next major release.

If you are familiar with git you can check out the latest code directly
from GitHub[1] or simply download our daily tar file[2].

[1] https://github.com/owncloud/core
[2]
http://download.owncloud.org/community/daily/owncloud-daily-master.tar.bz2


Looking forward to your feedback!

cheers,
Bj?rn

--
Bj?rn Schie?le <schiessle at owncloud.com>
Software Engineer
ownCloud Inc.

Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff
Schlo??ckerstrasse 26a, 90443 N?rnberg, HRB 28050 (AG N?rnberg)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New sharing arrived, who wants to give it a try?

Jakub Moscicki
Hello,

I have several questions:

 - I think that many users actually appreciate to have a clean separation of shared and "normal" files provided by /Shared folder (and being able to find all Shared things in one place)
 - what would be the impact on the efficiency of top-level PROPFIND with Depth=1 (especially on the database) if shared items are placed on the top-level?
 - what would you do if a file/directory /X existed already and a file/directory with the same basename X was shared by a another user later?

What about having a separate folder pair on the client that would sync only the Shared items? For example, ~/ownCloud.Shared or alike. And a separate button (in the app tab?) to access shared items.

I understand the desire to integrated shared items seamlessly into the file system view but I think shared things are really different and for many reasons separating them seems a better option to me.

Regards,

kuba

--

On Apr 29, 2014, at 5:48 PM, Bjoern Schiessle <schiessle at owncloud.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> last week we merged some large changes to the files sharing app to our
> development branch (master). Basically we removed the "Shared"-folder.
> By default shares are now stored in your root folder and you can freely
> move and rename them. So you can organize your shared files the way you
> wish.
>
> It would be great if as many people as possible could test it, so that
> we can iron out the last remaining bugs before the next major release.
>
> If you are familiar with git you can check out the latest code directly
> from GitHub[1] or simply download our daily tar file[2].
>
> [1] https://github.com/owncloud/core
> [2]
> http://download.owncloud.org/community/daily/owncloud-daily-master.tar.bz2
>
>
> Looking forward to your feedback!
>
> cheers,
> Bj?rn
>
> --
> Bj?rn Schie?le <schiessle at owncloud.com>
> Software Engineer
> ownCloud Inc.
>
> Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!
>
> ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff
> Schlo??ckerstrasse 26a, 90443 N?rnberg, HRB 28050 (AG N?rnberg)
> _______________________________________________
> testpilots mailing list
> testpilots at owncloud.org
> http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/testpilots


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New sharing arrived, who wants to give it a try?

Bjoern Schiessle
Hello Jakub,

thanks for your input!

On 05/05/14 16:43, Jakub Moscicki wrote:
> I have several questions:
>
> - I think that many users actually appreciate to have a clean
> separation of shared and "normal" files provided by /Shared folder
> (and being able to find all Shared things in one place)

I can see you point. Actually we got a lot of feedback regarding the
/Shared folder and also the developers discussed it for quite some time.
Many people like the /Shared folder but at the same time we had the
impression that more people would prefer to have more flexibility to
organize the files in their ownCloud. So finally we decided to go this
way. Actually dropbox and others do it the same way. Not that we have to
copy everything from our competitors. But sometimes it can give you a
good sense about what people like and what people might expect.

> - what would be the impact on the efficiency of top-level PROPFIND
> with Depth=1 (especially on the database) if shared items are placed
> on the top-level?

There shouldn't be much difference. Although this is a good question and
I will look into it, maybe there is something we can improve.

Generally I don't expect that the users have all their shared files in
the root but that they organize them in sub-folders. So at least if a
shared file changes this would improve the propfind. Because in case of
the Shared folder you would always need to check all shared files/folder
to find the one who changed while when they are distributed on your
filesystem you don't have to check them all.


> - what would you do if a file/directory /X existed already and a
> file/directory with the same basename X was shared by a another user
> later?

Than the shared file will be named "X (1)", "X (2)",... the same way we
handle name conflicts in the Shared folder.

> What about having a separate folder pair on the client that would
> sync only the Shared items? For example, ~/ownCloud.Shared or alike.
> And a separate button (in the app tab?) to access shared items.

With ownCloud7 we will also have a overview page for shared files which
I think is more or less what you suggest here. This overview page will
show you all files you shared and all files shared to you so that you
can easily access them even if they are distributed across various folders.

cheers,
Bj?rn

--
Bj?rn Schie?le <schiessle at owncloud.com>
Software Engineer
ownCloud Inc.

Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff
Schlo??ckerstrasse 26a, 90443 N?rnberg, HRB 28050 (AG N?rnberg)