Owncloud 7.0.4 and Iphone Contacts

Charles Curley
I have Debian Jessie (8.2) and owncloud 7.04 on it. I have an iPhone
with ios 9.2. I believe I have them talking to each other correctly. I
have the owncloud app verion 3.4.6 on the phone.

I can create a contact on owncloud using a web client. That will show
up on the phone correctly. However, contacts entered on the phone do
not show up in owncloud.

Searching the Internet has not turned up any useful advice.

$ pre owncloud
libowncloudsync0 1.7.0~beta1+really1.6.4+dfsg-1+deb8u1 i386
owncloud 7.0.4+dfsg-4~deb8u3 all
owncloud-apps 0~~20141022-1 all
owncloud-doc 0~20141208-2 all
$

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Re: Owncloud 7.0.4 and Iphone Contacts

Chris-3

Re: Owncloud 7.0.4 and Iphone Contacts

Diederik de Haas
On Sunday 27 December 2015 14:30:20 Chris wrote:
> > owncloud 7.04

By all means, do provide the full version number:
owncloud        7.0.4+dfsg-4~deb8u3

> > 1.7.0~beta1+really1.6.4+dfsg-1+deb8u1
>
> i'm strongly suggest to not use such outdated versions of oC and the sync
> client as both contains various serious bugs and security issues.

That is a statement which is not backed up by facts. The '+deb8u' part
would've told you that there were security updates.
For full details, see http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/o/owncloud/owncloud_7.0.4+dfsg-4~deb8u3_changelog

Re: Owncloud 7.0.4 and Iphone Contacts

Chris-3

Re: Owncloud 7.0.4 and Iphone Contacts

Charles Curley
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 01:38:43 -0700 (MST)
Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyway, that doesn't matter here. The issue of the OP might be
> resolved if he is using recent versions of oC.

I gave it a try.
https://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/8.2/owncloud/

I upgraded rather than do a fresh install. The first time I tried to
log in the program asked to create a new administrator account,
suggesting that it was not going to carry over the data from the old
installation.

However, it insisted on continually asking for the password for the
user account I had created with the old installation. I finally hit
"cancel" on the password popup. That user is now gone. So I conjecture
that the upgrade tried to carry the data over, but failed.

Also, I am concerned that the regular updates aren't in the regular
Debian repos.

On Monday 28 December 2015 07:27:56 Charles Curley wrote:
> Also, I am concerned that the regular updates aren't in the regular
> Debian repos.

That's because it is against the rules of Debian _Stable_.
Like all other packages in Debian Stable, it does receive security fixes.

I have the same version of owncloud, also on Debian Stable, as you and I can
sync my contacts/calendar fine both ways. But I don't use the owncloud client
but CalDAV-Sync and CardDAV-Sync on my Android phone.
I have no idea how the syncing on an iPhone works.

Re: Owncloud 7.0.4 and Iphone Contacts

Charles Curley
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 06:52:15 -0700 (MST)
Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> unfortunately you can't switch between the official repos and the
> debian one as both packages are placing their files at different
> locations.

Apparently. So all the data that I entered on the oC instance has now
disappeared, from both oC and the iPhone. However, stuff I entered on
the phone has not moved from the iPhone to oC. So this upgrade did not
solve my problem.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Re: Owncloud 7.0.4 and Iphone Contacts

Jos Poortvliet
On Monday 28 December 2015 00:22:34 Diederik de Haas wrote:

> On Sunday 27 December 2015 14:30:20 Chris wrote:
> > > owncloud 7.04
>
> By all means, do provide the full version number:
> owncloud        7.0.4+dfsg-4~deb8u3
>
> > > 1.7.0~beta1+really1.6.4+dfsg-1+deb8u1
> >
> > i'm strongly suggest to not use such outdated versions of oC and the sync
> > client as both contains various serious bugs and security issues.
>
> That is a statement which is not backed up by facts. The '+deb8u' part
> would've told you that there were security updates.
> For full details, see
> http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/o/owncloud/owncloud_7
> .0.4+dfsg-4~deb8u3_changelog
ownCloud 7.0.x is the oldest version still supported, though it is at a much
later release than 7.0.4 and even if Debian decided to backport security fixes
I'd argue it is a bad idea to run that. The misguided policy of not updating
to even bugfix releases which some distributions have is nothing but harmful
for users in my opinion.

I wrote a blog about this at some point:
https://owncloud.org/blog/linux-distributions-and-open-source-projects/

Meanwhile, the 1.7 client IS certainly outdated and no longer supported, as is
anything older than 1.9.

In general, the statement by Chris that it is unwise to use such old versions
isn't untrue. While ownCloud 7 and the 1.7 client releases weren't bad, they
are outdated from a performance, stability and data safety point of view.
We've moved on and have higher standards today ;-)

I could get the argument that from a data safety pov, 8.1 is more tested than
8.2 and thus more safe. I would not really agree with somebody arguing that
for 8.0 and for 7.0 I'd just don't think it is true. Since that release, our
user base has grown, our automated and human testing has massively improved
and most of our user and certainly developer base has moved to newer releases
which get more scrutiny and fixes. Note that we generally only port bugfixes and
stability improvements to the latest stable and latest stable-1 release so
there is, from a stability POV, very little reason to run 8.0 or 7.0. As I
said, you are running something which arguably has been tested LESS than a
more recent release. Of course security and super serious fixes ARE back ported
to older releases.

If 7.0.x is running satisfactory, I can imagine you don't want to change and
that is fine for about another 2 months (until 7.0.x is deprecated). However,
if you experience any trouble, any advice other than 'upgrade' is probably
unwise: I don't think it is worth the trouble of trying to fix issues with 7.0
when you will have to upgrade to 8.0 in 2 months anyway.

Oh and upgrading from 7.0.4 to 8.0.x is a BAD idea. Ignore your Debian
packages, install our ownCloud packages for 7.0.11 or whatever is latest
because you risk your upgrade breaking everything. Did I mention you should
not use distribution packages for ownCloud server and client?

Cheers,
Jos
--
Disclaimer:
find me on blog.jospoortvliet.com

On Monday 28 December 2015 15:57:49 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> In general, the statement by Chris that it is unwise to use such old
> versions  isn't untrue.

Except that wasn't what he said in the mail I replied to.

I have no desire to debate whether you should or shouldn't run the latest
(beta) version, I only wanted to correct the factually wrong statement.