Owncloud SSO integration

Manuel Delgado
Hello!

We are going to use Owncloud as our cloud storage service and we are using
a Single Sign-On service to authenticate users once.

My question: Is there a method to validate the owncloud users with an SSO
server? Is it possible?

If is possible but is not implemented we can build an app for that but we
need to know if it is technically possible.

Thanks!

Manuel Delgado

*Usuario Linux* *#520940 <http://counter.li.org/>*

Bach. Computaci?n e Inform?tica
Universidad de Costa Rica

Owncloud SSO integration

Bart Visscher
On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 06:29:40PM -0600, Manuel Delgado wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are going to use Owncloud as our cloud storage service and we are using
> a Single Sign-On service to authenticate users once.
>
> My question: Is there a method to validate the owncloud users with an SSO
> server? Is it possible?

Yes it is possible, in the core there is the user_ldap app. And there
are also 3rd party authentication apps like user_redmine and user_imap.

> If is possible but is not implemented we can build an app for that but we
> need to know if it is technically possible.

You can use the above apps as examples for your own app.

Bart

> Thanks!
>

> Manuel Delgado

Owncloud SSO integration

Victor Dubiniuk
Hi,

I have implemented basic BrowserID support [1] as described at the Junior
Jobs page [2].
The app reuses the password recovery email address.

Any review will be greatly appreciated.
Advice on the button placement and behavior is the most valuable.

[1] https://gitorious.org/vicdeo/browserid
[2] http://owncloud.org/dev/junior-jobs/

---
Victor Dubiniuk

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 06:29:40PM -0600, Manuel Delgado wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > We are going to use Owncloud as our cloud storage service and we are
> using
> > a Single Sign-On service to authenticate users once.
> >
> > My question: Is there a method to validate the owncloud users with an SSO
> > server? Is it possible?
>
> Yes it is possible, in the core there is the user_ldap app. And there
> are also 3rd party authentication apps like user_redmine and user_imap.
>

> > If is possible but is not implemented we can build an app for that but we
> > need to know if it is technically possible.
>
> You can use the above apps as examples for your own app.
>
> Bart
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Manuel Delgado

Owncloud SSO integration

Manuel Delgado
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 06:29:40PM -0600, Manuel Delgado wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > We are going to use Owncloud as our cloud storage service and we are
> using
> > a Single Sign-On service to authenticate users once.
> >
> > My question: Is there a method to validate the owncloud users with an SSO
> > server? Is it possible?
>
> Yes it is possible, in the core there is the user_ldap app. And there
> are also 3rd party authentication apps like user_redmine and user_imap.
>

> > If is possible but is not implemented we can build an app for that but we
> > need to know if it is technically possible.
>
> You can use the above apps as examples for your own app.
>
> Bart
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Manuel Delgado

Hello Bart

Thank you for the answer.

I was coding some test to integrate SSO but as you said: there are user_*
apps that allow integration with other authentication services. But they
depend on user/password entry but SSO not. If you already are logged in on
your SSO service, you do not need the checkPassword() function,
nevertheless Owncloud will show you the login page anyway because of the
isLoggedIn() function. I'm stuck here.

Regards,
Manuel Delgado

*Usuario Linux* *#520940 <http://counter.li.org/>*

Bach. Computaci?n e Inform?tica
Universidad de Costa Rica

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

samaan
Hi Manuel!

I am looking for a solution just like this. Did you progress on it?

Thank you

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

Manuel Delgado
Hi Samaan

Unfortunately we stopped the project and the openSSO service is going to be replaced with a new shibboleth architecture (Using FreeIPA as LDAP and Kerberos server), so our Owncloud project is "starting from scratch" and I never developed a functional SSO App.

AFAIK, in http://apps.owncloud.com there are some SSO-like Apps, you can search there or take some of them as examples to develop your own.

Regards,

Manuel Delgado

Usuario Linux #520940

Bach. Computación e Informática
Universidad de Costa Rica

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM, samaan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Manuel!

I am looking for a solution just like this. Did you progress on it?

Thank you

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

Thomas Müller

<not-community>
FYI: ownCloud 6 Enterprise will contain Shibboleth authentication
</not-community>

Am Freitag, den 14.02.2014 um 17:17 schrieb Manuel Delgado:

> Hi Samaan
>
> Unfortunately we stopped the project and the openSSO service is going to be
> replaced with a new shibboleth architecture (Using FreeIPA as LDAP and
> Kerberos server), so our Owncloud project is "starting from scratch" and I
> never developed a functional SSO App.
>
> AFAIK, in http://apps.owncloud.com there are some SSO-like Apps, you can
> search there or take some of them as examples to develop your own.
>
> Regards,
>
> Manuel Delgado

> *Usuario Linux* *#520940 <http://counter.li.org/>*
>
> Bach. Computación e Informática
> Universidad de Costa Rica
>

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM, samaan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Manuel!
> >
> > I am looking for a solution just like this. Did you progress on it?
> >
> > Thank you

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

Tornóci László
On 02/14/2014 05:33 PM, Thomas Müller wrote:

> <not-community>
> FYI: ownCloud 6 Enterprise will contain Shibboleth authentication
> </not-community>

FYI: there are users in the community who also need Shibboleth auth (it
is widely used in the academic environment).

                                        Yours: Laszlo

Am Freitag, den 14.02.2014 um 19:43 schrieb Tornóci László:
> On 02/14/2014 05:33 PM, Thomas Müller wrote:
> >
> > <not-community>
> > FYI: ownCloud 6 Enterprise will contain Shibboleth authentication
> > </not-community>
>
> FYI: there are users in the community who also need Shibboleth auth (it
> is widely used in the academic environment).

I'm aware of this - it has been a company decision to build this as an enterprise feature.
We cannot give away everything for free - I'm sorry

Tom

> Yours: Laszlo
>

> > Am Freitag, den 14.02.2014 um 17:17 schrieb Manuel Delgado:
> >> Hi Samaan
> >>
> >> Unfortunately we stopped the project and the openSSO service is going to be
> >> replaced with a new shibboleth architecture (Using FreeIPA as LDAP and
> >> Kerberos server), so our Owncloud project is "starting from scratch" and I
> >> never developed a functional SSO App.
> >>
> >> AFAIK, in http://apps.owncloud.com there are some SSO-like Apps, you can
> >> search there or take some of them as examples to develop your own.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Manuel Delgado

> >> *Usuario Linux* *#520940 <http://counter.li.org/>*
> >>
> >> Bach. Computación e Informática
> >> Universidad de Costa Rica

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

Bennett Todd

If you're going to choose a feature to encourage buying the enterprise edition, security might not be the feature to lead with.

LDAP integration I could see, or maybe support for calendar sync, but security is regarded as basic, at least among long-term enterprise architects.

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

Daniel Molkentin

And ownCloud Inc is happy to support academic environments: https://owncloud.com/products/education.

--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Am 14.02.2014 um 20:20 schrieb Bennett Todd:

If you're going to choose a feature to encourage buying the enterprise edition, security might not be the feature to lead with.

Tell me how many people run ownCloud with Shibboleth in their private cloud. For a university sized cloud, you really want enterprise-grade support. Talk to a sales representative, we will find a solution.

Cheers,
  Daniel

On 02/14/2014 08:22 PM, Daniel Molkentin wrote:

> Am 14.02.2014 um 19:43 schrieb Tornóci László:
>
>> On 02/14/2014 05:33 PM, Thomas Müller wrote:
>>>
>>> <not-community>
>>> FYI: ownCloud 6 Enterprise will contain Shibboleth authentication
>>> </not-community>
>>
>> FYI: there are users in the community who also need Shibboleth auth
>> (it is widely used in the academic environment).
>>
> And ownCloud Inc is happy to support academic environments:
> https://owncloud.com/products/education.

Thanks, I was not aware of the academic version. However, the page
contains: "Pricing begins at $9000/year for 500 users"
I have no idea about the pricing of the enterprise version, so this may
be very cheap compared to that, but it is still way out of reach for us.

Hopefully someone has the time to fix the user_saml app that provides
shibboleth auth and works quite well for OC 5 (but not for OC 6 I guess).

                                                Yours: Laszlo

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

Stephen Ingram
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Tornóci László <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I couldn't agree more. SSO is many times considered an enterprise feature when even small organizations might should be using it. I think this is a perception problem in the entire cloud-based software industry. As cloud-based software further pushes down the stack toward small business, there will be more pressure for cloud-based apps to offer SSO to everyone, not just those who can afford to pay for an enterprise version.

In the case of Owncloud Enterprise version, Enterprise definitely means enterprise as the pricing is way above what many small businesses would be able to afford for say 5 to 10 people. And, any SSO module needs to be so tightly integrated with the system that it is likely to be a constant chase for any developer attempting to maintain any open source code between versions. Not to mention, it also potentially create security problems that ultimately reflects back on the primary product.

Steve

Re: Owncloud SSO integration

Sérgio Afonso
Hi Laszlo et all,

I also struggled with this SSO integration when moving from OC 5 to OC 6. In OC5 the Shibboleth authentication was working perfectly using the user_servervars owncloud app. Once I moved to OC 6, the SSO integration and Shibboleth authentication were imediatelly broke.

Nevertheless, I think I found a workaround to the problem and I think it's working pretty well.

You can follow this link to install the app user_servervars

http://blog.gamb.fr/index.php?post/2013/06/14/OwnCloud-5-et-Shibboleth

Even though its in French and directed to ownCloud 5, you can use a translator and it also works fro ownCloud 6.

After this installation the problems begun. I still reported it in ownCloud mailing list. I attach the messages for reference of the problems found.

Ultimatelly the solution was to put in the user_servervars.php file the following block of code:

        /*
        * we don´t know if a user exists without the password. so we have to return true all the time
        */
        public function userExists( $uid ){
                return true;
        }

Cheers,
Sérgio

On 02/14/2014 07:43 PM, Tornóci László wrote:
[...]

SPUP-TIC.PNGSérgio Afonso

Email: [hidden email]

Tel: +351 220 408 546 / Ext. 8546

Unidade de Administração de Sistemas

Praça Gomes Teixeira

4099-002 Porto, Portugal

Email: [hidden email]

Hya *,

I had ownCloud 5.0.13 running for some time and working well with the 3rd party app user_servervars:

http://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/user_servervars?content=158863

Yesterday I installed ownCloud 6.0 and I am having an hard time trying to get this user_servervars to work in the same way as it did in ownCloud 5.

From the logs, it seems that the authentication process is working fine, but then when it does a call to OC_User::userExists($uid), it seems to return true, even though I can't find any user created on the table oc_users from the ownCloud DB.

I was wondering if anyone has already got Shibboleth authentication working in ownCloud 6.0 and if can gimme some hints on where I should look.

Cheers,
Sérgio

--
SP/TIC
Sérgio Afonso

Unidade de Administração de Sistemas
SERVIÇO DE TECNOLOGIAS DE INFORMAÇÃO E COMUNICAÇÃO
UNIVERSIDADE DO PORTO - SERVIÇOS PARTILHADOS
www.sp.up.pt  |  [hidden email]  |  (+351) 220 408 888

Hya,

In the process of trying to solve the issue with Shibboleth authentication in Owncloud 6 with app user_servervars, I tried to debug some of the OC_* methods called by the app.

I put this lines inside the code:

               OC_Log::write('servervars', \OCP\User::getUsers("", 10, 0), OC_Log::DEBUG);
               OC_Log::write('servervars', OC_User::userExists([hidden email]), OC_Log::DEBUG);
               OC_Log::write('servervars', \OCP\User::userExists([hidden email]), OC_Log::DEBUG);

And after a successful authentication I see the following in the logs:

{"app":"servervars","message":["safonso"],"level":0,"time":"2013-12-16T17:40:30+00:00"}
{"app":"servervars","message":"1","level":0,"time":"2013-12-16T17:40:30+00:00"}
{"app":"servervars","message":"1","level":0,"time":"2013-12-16T17:40:30+00:00"}

I am a little confused here.. If getUsers only tells me I have one user (safonso) which is true, then why the methods OC_User::userExists and \OCP\User::userExists called with the user [hidden email] is telling me the user exists?

Can anyone explain this behavior?

Cheers,
Sérgio

On 12/13/2013 03:04 PM, Sérgio Afonso wrote:
Hya *,

I had ownCloud 5.0.13 running for some time and working well with the 3rd party app user_servervars:

http://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/user_servervars?content=158863

Yesterday I installed ownCloud 6.0 and I am having an hard time trying to get this user_servervars to work in the same way as it did in ownCloud 5.

From the logs, it seems that the authentication process is working fine, but then when it does a call to OC_User::userExists($uid), it seems to return true, even though I can't find any user created on the table oc_users from the ownCloud DB.

[...]

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Bernhard Posselt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe the company could create a small business version that offers SSO and covers your use case. I think you should simply contact them and state your problem.

Thank you for the suggestion. This particular situation was for a small business I was working with. I believe they have already proceeded with another vendor, but I will ask them to contact Owncloud sales if not. If this is going to be offered, it would be nice to have something on the owncloud.com Website. Many small businesses will not call to ask, they simply move on to another provider that offers an option for them.

Steve