Preparing for GSOC 2017

Ujjwal Bhardwaj
Hello,

I am planning to prepare for GSOC 2017 for which i would love to contribute to ownCloud projects. I have some experience in coding in PHP.
I have done some research on your website and I wanted to know some details about the way the contributions are to be made. I wanted to know if i would have to clone the code from the owncloud's repository or i'll have to first fork the code to my own id and then make those changes.

Any further details would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ujjwal Bhardwaj
Github: imujjwal96