Python client lib for ownCloud

Vincent Petry
Hello,

During my holidays I couldn't resist to do a bit of Python programming,
so I made this Python library that wraps some of the ownCloud API:

https://github.com/PVince81/pyocclient

This could be useful for:
- writing Python/Django apps that interact with ownCloud
- scripting with Python: for example backup scripts, auto-upload pics
from a webcam, etc.
- testing the ownCloud API :-)

Here are the current features:
- basic file operations like getting a directory listing, file
upload/download, directory creation, etc
- read/write file contents from strings
- upload with chunking and mtime keeping
- upload whole directories
- directory download as zip
- share a file with public link using the OCS Share API
- store app data as key/values using the privatedata OCS API

One part that is currently missing is better error handling (throwing
exceptions for 403, 404, etc).
It is already usable but needs more testing against all ownCloud
versions (I only tested against OC 6.0.2 and OC 7 pre-alpha)

It would be cool/useful to have more such libraries in most languages to
lower the barrier of entry for people wanting their (external) apps to
interact with ownCloud in some way.

Note: while looking for a Python lib for ownCloud I also found this one
which rather seems to be a wrapper around csync:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOwnCloud/0.3

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Steffen Lindner-2
Hi Vincent,

nice! I wrote something similar month ago (but not that feature rich and
coupled into something).

I will try to refactor and add the stuff to your lib.

Thanks for sharing!

Greets,
Steffen

PS: Would be cool to have this lib "pip installable" and on pypi.

On 28.04.2014 10:12, Vincent Petry wrote:

> Hello,
>
> During my holidays I couldn't resist to do a bit of Python programming,
> so I made this Python library that wraps some of the ownCloud API:
>
> https://github.com/PVince81/pyocclient
>
> This could be useful for:
> - writing Python/Django apps that interact with ownCloud
> - scripting with Python: for example backup scripts, auto-upload pics
> from a webcam, etc.
> - testing the ownCloud API :-)
>
> Here are the current features:
> - basic file operations like getting a directory listing, file
> upload/download, directory creation, etc
> - read/write file contents from strings
> - upload with chunking and mtime keeping
> - upload whole directories
> - directory download as zip
> - share a file with public link using the OCS Share API
> - store app data as key/values using the privatedata OCS API
>
> One part that is currently missing is better error handling (throwing
> exceptions for 403, 404, etc).
> It is already usable but needs more testing against all ownCloud
> versions (I only tested against OC 6.0.2 and OC 7 pre-alpha)
>
> It would be cool/useful to have more such libraries in most languages to
> lower the barrier of entry for people wanting their (external) apps to
> interact with ownCloud in some way.
>
> Note: while looking for a Python lib for ownCloud I also found this one
> which rather seems to be a wrapper around csync:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOwnCloud/0.3
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Hefee
Hey,

nice. Actually I am a dev of pyOwncloud and actually we stopped developing,
'cause owncloud destroys the libocsync and says that libowncloudsync isn't
stable too. So It was to much work to keep it running. I'm also very curous,
that owncloud stablize the libowncloudsync...

But your approch is different, you use the webdav directly and don't care
about owncloud-client :)

pyOwnCloud has an own mailinglist: [hidden email]
Maybe you want to send an email there, too and we'll see if we can work
together somehow.

Regards,

hefee

On Monday 28 April 2014 10:12:14 Vincent Petry wrote:

> Hello,
>
> During my holidays I couldn't resist to do a bit of Python programming,
> so I made this Python library that wraps some of the ownCloud API:
>
> https://github.com/PVince81/pyocclient
>
> This could be useful for:
> - writing Python/Django apps that interact with ownCloud
> - scripting with Python: for example backup scripts, auto-upload pics
> from a webcam, etc.
> - testing the ownCloud API :-)
>
> Here are the current features:
> - basic file operations like getting a directory listing, file
> upload/download, directory creation, etc
> - read/write file contents from strings
> - upload with chunking and mtime keeping
> - upload whole directories
> - directory download as zip
> - share a file with public link using the OCS Share API
> - store app data as key/values using the privatedata OCS API
>
> One part that is currently missing is better error handling (throwing
> exceptions for 403, 404, etc).
> It is already usable but needs more testing against all ownCloud
> versions (I only tested against OC 6.0.2 and OC 7 pre-alpha)
>
> It would be cool/useful to have more such libraries in most languages to
> lower the barrier of entry for people wanting their (external) apps to
> interact with ownCloud in some way.
>
> Note: while looking for a Python lib for ownCloud I also found this one
> which rather seems to be a wrapper around csync:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOwnCloud/0.3
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Vincent Petry
Hi Steffen,

Welcome to your PRs :-)

I'm not familiar with pip yet but will look into it once I find more
time for this.
Would also be good to have a similar library in Ruby, then it could be
used to setup ownCloud for testing in the owncloud-acceptance test and
cucumber :-)

Cheers,

Vincent

On 04/28/2014 10:54 AM, Steffen Lindner wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> nice! I wrote something similar month ago (but not that feature rich and
> coupled into something).
>
> I will try to refactor and add the stuff to your lib.
>
> Thanks for sharing!
>
> Greets,
> Steffen
>
> PS: Would be cool to have this lib "pip installable" and on pypi.
>
> On 28.04.2014 10:12, Vincent Petry wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> During my holidays I couldn't resist to do a bit of Python programming,
>> so I made this Python library that wraps some of the ownCloud API:
>>
>> https://github.com/PVince81/pyocclient
>>
>> This could be useful for:
>> - writing Python/Django apps that interact with ownCloud
>> - scripting with Python: for example backup scripts, auto-upload pics
>> from a webcam, etc.
>> - testing the ownCloud API :-)
>>
>> Here are the current features:
>> - basic file operations like getting a directory listing, file
>> upload/download, directory creation, etc
>> - read/write file contents from strings
>> - upload with chunking and mtime keeping
>> - upload whole directories
>> - directory download as zip
>> - share a file with public link using the OCS Share API
>> - store app data as key/values using the privatedata OCS API
>>
>> One part that is currently missing is better error handling (throwing
>> exceptions for 403, 404, etc).
>> It is already usable but needs more testing against all ownCloud
>> versions (I only tested against OC 6.0.2 and OC 7 pre-alpha)
>>
>> It would be cool/useful to have more such libraries in most languages to
>> lower the barrier of entry for people wanting their (external) apps to
>> interact with ownCloud in some way.
>>
>> Note: while looking for a Python lib for ownCloud I also found this one
>> which rather seems to be a wrapper around csync:
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOwnCloud/0.3
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Vincent

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Vincent Petry
Hi Hefee,

Thanks for the info. :-)

The purpose of pyocclient was mostly to give access to APIs using Python
(similar to how Twitter or Dropbox have Python libs), not syncing.

I had the feeling that pyOwncloud was mostly like the sync client,
wrapped in Python and runnable from the CLI, which is nice for running
on a server or as a service. I'm not sure yet whether it makes sense to
merge them somehow, I need to take some time to look into the details.

Cheers,

Vincent

On 04/28/2014 10:55 AM, Hefee wrote:

> Hey,
>
> nice. Actually I am a dev of pyOwncloud and actually we stopped developing,
> 'cause owncloud destroys the libocsync and says that libowncloudsync isn't
> stable too. So It was to much work to keep it running. I'm also very curous,
> that owncloud stablize the libowncloudsync...
>
> But your approch is different, you use the webdav directly and don't care
> about owncloud-client :)
>
> pyOwnCloud has an own mailinglist: [hidden email]
> Maybe you want to send an email there, too and we'll see if we can work
> together somehow.
>
> Regards,
>
> hefee
>
> On Monday 28 April 2014 10:12:14 Vincent Petry wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> During my holidays I couldn't resist to do a bit of Python programming,
>> so I made this Python library that wraps some of the ownCloud API:
>>
>> https://github.com/PVince81/pyocclient
>>
>> This could be useful for:
>> - writing Python/Django apps that interact with ownCloud
>> - scripting with Python: for example backup scripts, auto-upload pics
>> from a webcam, etc.
>> - testing the ownCloud API :-)
>>
>> Here are the current features:
>> - basic file operations like getting a directory listing, file
>> upload/download, directory creation, etc
>> - read/write file contents from strings
>> - upload with chunking and mtime keeping
>> - upload whole directories
>> - directory download as zip
>> - share a file with public link using the OCS Share API
>> - store app data as key/values using the privatedata OCS API
>>
>> One part that is currently missing is better error handling (throwing
>> exceptions for 403, 404, etc).
>> It is already usable but needs more testing against all ownCloud
>> versions (I only tested against OC 6.0.2 and OC 7 pre-alpha)
>>
>> It would be cool/useful to have more such libraries in most languages to
>> lower the barrier of entry for people wanting their (external) apps to
>> interact with ownCloud in some way.
>>
>> Note: while looking for a Python lib for ownCloud I also found this one
>> which rather seems to be a wrapper around csync:
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOwnCloud/0.3
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Vincent

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Hefee
Hi Vincent,

> I had the feeling that pyOwncloud was mostly like the sync client,
> wrapped in Python and runnable from the CLI, which is nice for running
> on a server or as a service. I'm not sure yet whether it makes sense to
> merge them somehow, I need to take some time to look into the details.

You are right, that pyOwncloud is mostly a wrapper around the syncing client.
But for example the syncing client has no way to the create and get a public
link. So maybe your project can get a dependency of pyOwncloud...

Regards,

hefee

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Klaas Freitag-3
On 28.04.2014 10:55, Hefee wrote:
> Hey,
>
> nice. Actually I am a dev of pyOwncloud and actually we stopped developing,
> 'cause owncloud destroys the libocsync and says that libowncloudsync isn't
> stable too. So It was to much work to keep it running. I'm also very curous,
> that owncloud stablize the libowncloudsync...

Well, I think here is a kind of misunderstanding. The issue with
libowncloudsync is that we do not have a reliable second stakeholder
that uses libowncloudsync, next to mirall. And I would not declare an
API that fits one usecase as stable. Or turn it the positive way: I'd be
happy to consider your and maybe the plasma sync clients input to make
libowncloudsync stable and useful for more than one stakeholder.

regards,
Klaas

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Steffen Lindner-2

> Welcome to your PRs :-)

Will do a Python Egg as soon as i find time.

> I'm not familiar with pip yet but will look into it once I find more
> time for this.
> Would also be good to have a similar library in Ruby, then it could be
> used to setup ownCloud for testing in the owncloud-acceptance test and
> cucumber :-)

Lately i worked again with robotframework, i think its the better tool
(and more supported/used). Maybe we should bury Cucumber/Capybara, but
its a topic for a sprint / dev-days.

Cheers,
Steffen

> On 04/28/2014 10:54 AM, Steffen Lindner wrote:
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>> nice! I wrote something similar month ago (but not that feature rich and
>> coupled into something).
>>
>> I will try to refactor and add the stuff to your lib.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing!
>>
>> Greets,
>> Steffen
>>
>> PS: Would be cool to have this lib "pip installable" and on pypi.
>>
>> On 28.04.2014 10:12, Vincent Petry wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> During my holidays I couldn't resist to do a bit of Python programming,
>>> so I made this Python library that wraps some of the ownCloud API:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/PVince81/pyocclient
>>>
>>> This could be useful for:
>>> - writing Python/Django apps that interact with ownCloud
>>> - scripting with Python: for example backup scripts, auto-upload pics
>>> from a webcam, etc.
>>> - testing the ownCloud API :-)
>>>
>>> Here are the current features:
>>> - basic file operations like getting a directory listing, file
>>> upload/download, directory creation, etc
>>> - read/write file contents from strings
>>> - upload with chunking and mtime keeping
>>> - upload whole directories
>>> - directory download as zip
>>> - share a file with public link using the OCS Share API
>>> - store app data as key/values using the privatedata OCS API
>>>
>>> One part that is currently missing is better error handling (throwing
>>> exceptions for 403, 404, etc).
>>> It is already usable but needs more testing against all ownCloud
>>> versions (I only tested against OC 6.0.2 and OC 7 pre-alpha)
>>>
>>> It would be cool/useful to have more such libraries in most languages to
>>> lower the barrier of entry for people wanting their (external) apps to
>>> interact with ownCloud in some way.
>>>
>>> Note: while looking for a Python lib for ownCloud I also found this one
>>> which rather seems to be a wrapper around csync:
>>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOwnCloud/0.3
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Vincent

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
And it would be good to have a similar library in Javascript. ;) Then
quite a lot of great web apps could use ownCloud as backend and allow
people to store data in their ownCloud.

Kind of similar to http://remotestorage.io – see a proposal at
https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/Project-ideas#owncloud-as-backend-for-web-apps

I know there’s jsDAV: https://github.com/mikedeboer/jsdav (Node.js) but
that seems to be to set up a WebDAV _server_ rather than a client.

Also cc’ing Ilian, developer of frontend-only app
http://www.tagspaces.org – an ownCloud JS library would be a perfect
fit there.

On Mo 28 Apr 2014 11:02:16 CEST, Vincent Petry wrote:

> Hi Steffen,
>
> Welcome to your PRs :-)
>
> I'm not familiar with pip yet but will look into it once I find more
> time for this.
> Would also be good to have a similar library in Ruby, then it could be
> used to setup ownCloud for testing in the owncloud-acceptance test and
> cucumber :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
> On 04/28/2014 10:54 AM, Steffen Lindner wrote:
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>> nice! I wrote something similar month ago (but not that feature rich and
>> coupled into something).
>>
>> I will try to refactor and add the stuff to your lib.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing!
>>
>> Greets,
>> Steffen
>>
>> PS: Would be cool to have this lib "pip installable" and on pypi.
>>
>> On 28.04.2014 10:12, Vincent Petry wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> During my holidays I couldn't resist to do a bit of Python programming,
>>> so I made this Python library that wraps some of the ownCloud API:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/PVince81/pyocclient
>>>
>>> This could be useful for:
>>> - writing Python/Django apps that interact with ownCloud
>>> - scripting with Python: for example backup scripts, auto-upload pics
>>> from a webcam, etc.
>>> - testing the ownCloud API :-)
>>>
>>> Here are the current features:
>>> - basic file operations like getting a directory listing, file
>>> upload/download, directory creation, etc
>>> - read/write file contents from strings
>>> - upload with chunking and mtime keeping
>>> - upload whole directories
>>> - directory download as zip
>>> - share a file with public link using the OCS Share API
>>> - store app data as key/values using the privatedata OCS API
>>>
>>> One part that is currently missing is better error handling (throwing
>>> exceptions for 403, 404, etc).
>>> It is already usable but needs more testing against all ownCloud
>>> versions (I only tested against OC 6.0.2 and OC 7 pre-alpha)
>>>
>>> It would be cool/useful to have more such libraries in most languages to
>>> lower the barrier of entry for people wanting their (external) apps to
>>> interact with ownCloud in some way.
>>>
>>> Note: while looking for a Python lib for ownCloud I also found this one
>>> which rather seems to be a wrapper around csync:
>>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOwnCloud/0.3
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Vincent

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Vincent Petry
I also had JS on my mind.

The thing with JS is that there are at least two different use cases:
1) JS lib for Node JS to connect to ownCloud from the server side
and
2) JS lib for the browser

For 2), the way the connection is made would be different, but the API
could be the same (and even use remote storage internally)

Having libs in many languages would help spawn more projects and
integration with ownCloud.

Cheers,

Vincent

On 04/28/2014 12:05 PM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:

> And it would be good to have a similar library in Javascript. ;) Then
> quite a lot of great web apps could use ownCloud as backend and allow
> people to store data in their ownCloud.
>
> Kind of similar to http://remotestorage.io – see a proposal at
> https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/Project-ideas#owncloud-as-backend-for-web-apps
>
> I know there’s jsDAV: https://github.com/mikedeboer/jsdav (Node.js)
> but that seems to be to set up a WebDAV _server_ rather than a client.
>

> Also cc’ing Ilian, developer of frontend-only app
> http://www.tagspaces.org – an ownCloud JS library would be a perfect
> fit there.
>

> On Mo 28 Apr 2014 11:02:16 CEST, Vincent Petry wrote:
>> Hi Steffen,
>>
>> Welcome to your PRs :-)
>>
>> I'm not familiar with pip yet but will look into it once I find more
>> time for this.
>> Would also be good to have a similar library in Ruby, then it could be
>> used to setup ownCloud for testing in the owncloud-acceptance test and
>> cucumber :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Vincent
>>
>> On 04/28/2014 10:54 AM, Steffen Lindner wrote:
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> nice! I wrote something similar month ago (but not that feature rich
>>> and
>>> coupled into something).
>>>
>>> I will try to refactor and add the stuff to your lib.
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing!
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Steffen
>>>
>>> PS: Would be cool to have this lib "pip installable" and on pypi.

Re: Python client lib for ownCloud

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
I’d say 2) would be the primary case since that’s what most people use
(rather than specifically node.js). That’s also the way the Dropbox.js
library works, I presume.