RSS reader with syncing

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RSS reader with syncing

Clément 'clemux' Schreiner
Hello,

I read that Frank added the "rss reader with syncing" to the roadmap for
version 1.1, and I'd like to work on that.
Do you have any specific ideas how to do it ?

I'll introduce quickly how I would do it, but I don't know if this would be
the right way, so I'd like to hear your suggestions :)

A server pulls RSS feeds periodically and stores them in a SQL database, or
maybe using with Akonadi, or something else. Each feed would have tags and/or
categories , and a state (read, unread, new, ...)

The different readers would stay connected to the server, receiving new
articles in a "push-like" way. They could choose to get only unread articles
(for limited bandwidth on mobile devices for example), and to read them
directly from the server, or instead first storing them locally to keep a
cache.


My main problem is the communication between the server and the readers... do
you know any protocol that would be suitable for this use, or we should
develop our own?


I was also wondering has PHP been chosen as the only language for the project,
or could Python be used for the server part of this newsfeed reader?

By the way, I'm a student, so it would be great if you thought that I could
turn this idea into a GSoC proposal :)


Cheers


Cl?ment Schreiner

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RSS reader with syncing

Frank Karlitschek
Hi Cl?ment,

thank you for your message.


On 01.04.2010, at 17:17, Cl?ment 'clemux' Schreiner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read that Frank added the "rss reader with syncing" to the roadmap for
> version 1.1, and I'd like to work on that.
> Do you have any specific ideas how to do it ?

Not really. So your input is welcome. :-)

>
> I'll introduce quickly how I would do it, but I don't know if this would be
> the right way, so I'd like to hear your suggestions :)
>
> A server pulls RSS feeds periodically and stores them in a SQL database, or
> maybe using with Akonadi, or something else. Each feed would have tags and/or
> categories , and a state (read, unread, new, ...)

Good idea.


> The different readers would stay connected to the server, receiving new
> articles in a "push-like" way. They could choose to get only unread articles
> (for limited bandwidth on mobile devices for example), and to read them
> directly from the server, or instead first storing them locally to keep a
> cache.
>

Yes.

>
> My main problem is the communication between the server and the readers... do
> you know any protocol that would be suitable for this use, or we should
> develop our own?
>

I?m not sure. You should ask the Akonady guys. I think they are working on a Akonady ressource for Akregator.
You could also look into the Google Reader protocol. Perhaps we can use this too.



> I was also wondering has PHP been chosen as the only language for the project,
> or could Python be used for the server part of this newsfeed reader?

Hmm, I think it is important that "installation" of the owncloud is as easy as possible and runs on as many servers as possible.
If we rely on Python we limit the number of users who can run ownCloud because their hoster doesn?t have Python support.

So I suggest to use PHP because it works basically everywhere. Unless it is _really_ important to use something else.


> By the way, I'm a student, so it would be great if you thought that I could
> turn this idea into a GSoC proposal :)
>

Sure. Why not. You can aways submit a GSoC proposal. :-)


>
> Cheers
>
>
> Cl?ment Schreiner


Cheers
Frank


--
Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RSS reader with syncing

Mario Đanić
Hi,

let me bug you all once again :)

2010/4/1 Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>:

> Hi Cl?ment,
>
> thank you for your message.
>
>
> On 01.04.2010, at 17:17, Cl?ment 'clemux' Schreiner wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I read that Frank added the "rss reader with syncing" to the roadmap for
>> version 1.1, and I'd like to work on that.
>> Do you have any specific ideas how to do it ?
>
> Not really. So your input is welcome. :-)
>
I do ... as always. Sorry about that :)
>>
>> I'll introduce quickly how I would do it, but I don't know if this would be
>> the right way, so I'd like to hear your suggestions :)
>>
>> A server pulls RSS feeds periodically and stores them in a SQL database, or
>> maybe using with Akonadi, or something else. Each feed would have tags and/or
>> categories , and a state (read, unread, new, ...)
>
> Good idea.

We should definetly look into using pubsubhubbub protocol both as a
client (for getting
updated from 3rd party feeds) and as a server (for pushing-out our updates).

>
>
>> The different readers would stay connected to the server, receiving new
>> articles in a "push-like" way. They could choose to get only unread articles
>> (for limited bandwidth on mobile devices for example), and to read them
>> directly from the server, or instead first storing them locally to keep a
>> cache.
>>
>
> Yes.
>
Look above :P
>>
>> My main problem is the communication between the server and the readers... do
>> you know any protocol that would be suitable for this use, or we should
>> develop our own?
>>
>
Look above :P

> I?m not sure. You should ask the Akonady guys. I think they are working on a Akonady ressource for Akregator.
> You could also look into the Google Reader protocol. Perhaps we can use this too.
>
>
>
>> I was also wondering has PHP been chosen as the only language for the project,
>> or could Python be used for the server part of this newsfeed reader?
>
> Hmm, I think it is important that "installation" of the owncloud is as easy as possible and runs on as many servers as possible.
> If we rely on Python we limit the number of users who can run ownCloud because their hoster doesn?t have Python support.
>
> So I suggest to use PHP because it works basically everywhere. Unless it is _really_ important to use something else.
>
>
While I really prefer python over php, I'd avoid having 10 languages
in implementation. But mind me :)
>> By the way, I'm a student, so it would be great if you thought that I could
>> turn this idea into a GSoC proposal :)
>>
>
> Sure. Why not. You can aways submit a GSoC proposal. :-)
>
:) Good luck my friend.
>

Cheers,
Mario

>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>
>> Cl?ment Schreiner
>
>
> Cheers
> Frank
>
>
> --
> Frank Karlitschek
> karlitschek at kde.org
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Owncloud mailing list
> Owncloud at kde.org
> https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/owncloud
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RSS reader with syncing

Clément 'clemux' Schreiner
In reply to this post by Frank Karlitschek
Hello,

I'm still looking for a way of pushing articles from the agregator to the
readers...

pubsubhubbub, suggested by Mario is based on web hooks, and thus does work
only between HTTP server/web applications.

The Google Reader protocol is not open, there are only non-official API using
HTTP requests.

I don't think we will be able to do that without a shell access to the server
and running a daemon, and so that would remove the "works everywhere"
feature...

Any idea, thought?


> Hmm, I think it is important that "installation" of the owncloud is as easy
> as possible and runs on as many servers as possible. If we rely on Python
> we limit the number of users who can run ownCloud because their hoster
> doesn?t have Python support.
>
> So I suggest to use PHP because it works basically everywhere. Unless it is
> _really_ important to use something else.

Yeah, but can WebDAV be used on any hoster? I know the webdav server-side is
currently written PHP, but can all the protocol features be implemented like
that? (After some research it seems it's impossible, but I could be
mistaken... :)


Cheers

Cl?ment Schreiner