Re: Projects for OPW

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
Hi Anjana, welcome to the ownCloud community! :)

I'm Jan and coordinate ownCloud's participation in OPW together with Alessandro.

Morris is the developer of the Music app and can help you with questions about it. I assume you found the repository at http://github.com/owncloud/music ?
Do you have a Github account already?

It's probably best if you join us in IRC as well, in the channel #owncloud-dev (on freenode) - then we can quickly communicate. I'm jancborchardt, Alessandro is cosenal, and Morris is MorrisJobke.

Cheers! And please ask if you have any questions. :)

On Mar 2, 2014 7:05 AM, anjana s <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>              I'm Anjana,a second year engineering student.I would like to participate in OPW(foss outreach program for women )this time.I would like to work on Music app playlist functionality.I'm totally new to this community.Can someone please help me with this?
> I started with creating the environment.I found this link as useful http://owncloud.org/contribute/.I want someone to guide me.
> Please help me with this.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> Anjana S
> Amrita School of Engineering

Re: Projects for OPW

Alessandro Cosentino
Hi Anjana,

Welcome to ownCloud!

Let me add a couple of suggestions:
- instead of a vague "I want someone to guide me", you will get better
answers if you try yourself and then you ask how to solve a specific
issue once you get stuck.
- on IRC, rather than asking to a person if he/she is there, again go
straight to the point.

I hope I am not sounding harsh, I just want to help you to get better
and quickier replies.

Cheers!
Alessandro

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Anjana, welcome to the ownCloud community! :)
>
> I'm Jan and coordinate ownCloud's participation in OPW together with Alessandro.
>
> Morris is the developer of the Music app and can help you with questions about it. I assume you found the repository at http://github.com/owncloud/music ?
> Do you have a Github account already?
>
> It's probably best if you join us in IRC as well, in the channel #owncloud-dev (on freenode) - then we can quickly communicate. I'm jancborchardt, Alessandro is cosenal, and Morris is MorrisJobke.
>
> Cheers! And please ask if you have any questions. :)
>
> On Mar 2, 2014 7:05 AM, anjana s <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>>              I'm Anjana,a second year engineering student.I would like to participate in OPW(foss outreach program for women )this time.I would like to work on Music app playlist functionality.I'm totally new to this community.Can someone please help me with this?
>> I started with creating the environment.I found this link as useful http://owncloud.org/contribute/.I want someone to guide me.
>> Please help me with this.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> --
>> Anjana S
>> Amrita School of Engineering
>> [hidden email]

Re: Projects for OPW

Morris Jobke
Hi Anjana,

I reply to this mailinglist thread to keep the discussion at one place.

> My name is Anjana .I am participating in foss outreach program for women this
> time.I would like to work on owncloud- I found Music apps functionality  as
> very interesting.Since I'm totally new to this community,Sincerely I don't
> have any idea about where to start with this project.

Setting up an ownCloud instance is a quite good start to get familiar with the
project. I suggest you to do this like described under [1] (the contribute site
at owncloud.org/contribute is quite outdated). If you're not familiar with Git
as version control system give it at [2] a try.

> I have an basic understanding in most of the designing+graphics related
> programming language.I am also interested to study more things that I don't
> Know.

I assume that you mean things like HTML and CSS. Therefore design related issues
are a good starting point. Maybe have a look at the junior jobs of the design
section. [3]

For music app specifc stuff you can add the music app by simply clone the music
repo [4] to the "apps" folder inside the "core" repo - then you just need to go
to the web interface and enable it.

If you have further questions just directly ask them on IRC (and ping me) or
write to this mailinglist.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
Morris