Re: Renaming of folders on IIS

Martin Krichenbauer
Hi Guys,

after this full quoted mail I unsubscribed devel-list. But now I subscribe again to talk to you guys.
 Im just wondering if this is the meaning of open source.

There was a time, when I renamed a folder in owncloud, the stuff got downloaded again in his full size. Not nice but ok. Then one or some devs wrote a renaming function, wich is ment to not download everything again and is actualizing the database and everything. Sounds nice, seems to be working.

But there must be a little mistake in the code. When you are running an IIS and you rename a folder on clientside having a space in the name of the folder, the renaming feature goes wild and deletes all the stuff in the folder (actually it doesn’t move files on serevrsite and destroys the db entries of the files in the renamed folder).

It works fine when there is no space in it, it deletes when there is one. Having a german user, who creates an folder, wich is used to have the name "Neuer Ordner" in it in german Windows, there is an space in it so the disaster is there even with a "no space" policy.

I have this prob in the forum, the bugtracker github and the mailing list. There are people who have the same prob. But no one cares.

So is this the meaning of open source, that something is working, then it gets optimized and its buggy, no one takes care of it?
I want to know who made this renaming stuff and how to disable that crab, because it deleted me tons of files and all my users got angry.

If someone wants to take care now, write me you get more Informations and access to a test environment. Llinks to Bugtracker are below.

Thx, Martin

Frank Karlitschek-3

On 03.03.2014, at 23:58, Martin Krichenbauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> after this full quoted mail I unsubscribed devel-list. But now I subscribe again to talk to you guys.
> Im just wondering if this is the meaning of open source.
>
> There was a time, when I renamed a folder in owncloud, the stuff got downloaded again in his full size. Not nice but ok. Then one or some devs wrote a renaming function, wich is ment to not download everything again and is actualizing the database and everything. Sounds nice, seems to be working.
>
> But there must be a little mistake in the code. When you are running an IIS and you rename a folder on clientside having a space in the name of the folder, the renaming feature goes wild and deletes all the stuff in the folder (actually it doesn’t move files on serevrsite and destroys the db entries of the files in the renamed folder).
>
> It works fine when there is no space in it, it deletes when there is one. Having a german user, who creates an folder, wich is used to have the name "Neuer Ordner" in it in german Windows, there is an space in it so the disaster is there even with a "no space" policy.
>
> I have this prob in the forum, the bugtracker github and the mailing list. There are people who have the same prob. But no one cares.
>
> So is this the meaning of open source, that something is working, then it gets optimized and its buggy, no one takes care of it?
> I want to know who made this renaming stuff and how to disable that crab, because it deleted me tons of files and all my users got angry.
>
> If someone wants to take care now, write me you get more Informations and access to a test environment. Llinks to Bugtracker are below.
>
> Thx, Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks a lot for your feedback. Perhaps we have a different understanding of open source. Open source means free licenses, an open development process, an open community and so on.
Unfortunately it doesn't mean that there are no bugs. I wish but the truth is that there are bugs.

But the good news about open source is that everyone can help to find the bugs and even contribute to fix them. So if you have some time to track this problem down and perhaps submit a patch then this would be super helpful and totally in the spirit of open source.

Thanks a lot.

Frank

Klaas Freitag-3
On 03.03.2014 23:58, Martin Krichenbauer wrote:
Hi Martin,

> after this full quoted mail I unsubscribed devel-list. But now I subscribe again to talk to you guys.
>  Im just wondering if this is the meaning of open source.
The meaning of open source is a big question!

> There was a time, when I renamed a folder in owncloud, the stuff got downloaded again in his full size. Not nice but ok. Then one or some devs wrote a renaming function, wich is ment to not download everything again and is actualizing the database and everything. Sounds nice, seems to be working.
>
> But there must be a little mistake in the code. When you are running an IIS and you rename a folder on clientside having a space in the name of the folder, the renaming feature goes wild and deletes all the stuff in the folder (actually it doesn’t move files on serevrsite and destroys the db entries of the files in the renamed folder).
>
> It works fine when there is no space in it, it deletes when there is one. Having a german user, who creates an folder, wich is used to have the name "Neuer Ordner" in it in german Windows, there is an space in it so the disaster is there even with a "no space" policy.
Yes, we see the problem, and it is described in
https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/7046

> I have this prob in the forum, the bugtracker github and the mailing list. There are people who have the same prob. But no one cares.
Why do you think that no one cares? I can understand that this problem
is annoying for you and that you want to see it fixed better yesterday
than today. And I agree, it is a severe problem. But that should not let
you think that nobody cares. We are intending to delete peoples data.
and we do care. The  problem is that we are only a few...

So, what can you do to help? The root of the problem is that you use a
lets say "uncommon" web server. Most people here use Apache and we do
not see the described problems there. Not an excuse, but a reason, we
will get that fixed. So you, as an user of IIS, could jump in and help
testing of pre release code such as betas and RCs. It is _important_ to
find these kind of problems before they hit users. In this particular
case, there already is a decent bug report but this is a general point.

> So is this the meaning of open source, that something is working, then it gets optimized and its buggy, no one takes care of it?
> I want to know who made this renaming stuff and how to disable that crab, because it deleted me tons of files and all my users got angry.
We understand your anger, and we're sorry, but please don't go that
route. Even though it is no secret who made which code in open source,
it does not make sense to dig out names and blame people for bugs. See
it as "we all ownCloud developers" made it, or rather, "we all in the
ownCloud community did not catch the bug before it caused harm".

That finally is the meaning of open source: We all care together that
improve the project, rather than passing the buck.

> If someone wants to take care now, write me you get more Informations and access to a test environment. Llinks to Bugtracker are below.
Thanks, please also add the info that you can provide a test account to
the bug #7046.

Thanks for your help,

klaas

On 04.03.2014 09:46, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> But that should not let you think that nobody cares.
> We are intending to delete peoples data.
This is of course "We are _NOT_ intending to delete...."

Sorry,

Klaas