Refactoring owncloud

Jakob Sack-2
Hi,

those of you following #owncloud on freenode already know this: I am
refactoring owncloud.

But what does this mean? Well, some parts of owncloud are somewhat messy. To
make contributing to owncloud easier I thought about possible chages and put
them down on the wiki [1]. After some feedback from Robin and Fran?ois I
started to implement those changes.

To summarize the changes: I try to loosely follow the MVC paradigm, put
libraries from other parties in another folder ("3dparty") and separate the
functions (applications). Furthermore I introduced some very basic template
system using php files and the ob_* functions and migrate the javascript code
to jquery and jquery-ui.

At the moment the code is barely working. If you want to have a look at it
just enter the branch "refactoring" or visit [2]. There you can see the
current state of my work. Be warned: this code might eat your children.

Please do not expect final results before the Stuttgart meeting. Using this as
a base for new features isn't a good idea, either. The code might change
faster than you can do a rebuild of kde. Lastly, I am not going to add
features like versioning and a gallery and whatsoever. The primary goal is to
have a working refactored owncloud making developers feeling welcomed.

If you have feedback please edit the according wiki page or answer this mail.

Greetings,

Jakob

[1] http://owncloud.org/index.php/Refactoring
[2]
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/www/owncloud/repository/show?rev=refactoring

Re: Refactoring owncloud

Frank Karlitschek
Hi Jakob,

this sounds interesting. I?m looking forward to see your results.

Perhaps it?s good to keep one aspect in mind.
I think ownCloud might move more into the direction of a platform for web apps in the future.
So plugins might become more like Apps which run on top of ownCloud.

One day an ownCloud user might install an RSS reader App, a TODO manager or a game on ownCloud as an third party App. We can provide a interface to search for new Plugins/Apps, install or update via OCS or uninstall them.

It?s important that we provide a clean API for Plugins/Apps with features like "I?m a plugin and I need those database tables. Please create them for me during install and remove them during uninstall". "Create those additional buttons in the navigation" or "I need an additional data directory for my stuff".

It would be also cool if we could provide basic GUI elements for the Plugins/Apps. Like a listview, a button and so on.

What do you think?

karlitschek at kde.org

Re: Refactoring owncloud

kunal ghosh
Hi all,

I do not know to what extent this is going to help
or even if this is going to be relevant in this thread.
There is an open-sourced javascript framework to develop
desktop grade UIs for web-apps, called http://cappuccino.org/
we may look into the same.

On 03/03/2011 04:33 PM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:

> Hi Jakob,
>
> this sounds interesting. I?m looking forward to see your results.
>
> Perhaps it?s good to keep one aspect in mind.
> I think ownCloud might move more into the direction of a platform for web apps in the future.
> So plugins might become more like Apps which run on top of ownCloud.
>
> One day an ownCloud user might install an RSS reader App, a TODO manager or a game on ownCloud as an third party App. We can provide a interface to search for new Plugins/Apps, install or update via OCS or uninstall them.
>
> It?s important that we provide a clean API for Plugins/Apps with features like "I?m a plugin and I need those database tables. Please create them for me during install and remove them during uninstall". "Create those additional buttons in the navigation" or "I need an additional data directory for my stuff".
>
> It would be also cool if we could provide basic GUI elements for the Plugins/Apps. Like a listview, a button and so on.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Frank
>

> On 03.03.2011, at 00:25, Jakob Sack wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> those of you following #owncloud on freenode already know this: I am
>> refactoring owncloud.
>>
>> But what does this mean? Well, some parts of owncloud are somewhat messy. To
>> make contributing to owncloud easier I thought about possible chages and put
>> them down on the wiki [1]. After some feedback from Robin and Fran?ois I
>> started to implement those changes.
>>
>> To summarize the changes: I try to loosely follow the MVC paradigm, put
>> libraries from other parties in another folder ("3dparty") and separate the
>> functions (applications). Furthermore I introduced some very basic template
>> system using php files and the ob_* functions and migrate the javascript code
>> to jquery and jquery-ui.
>>
>> At the moment the code is barely working. If you want to have a look at it
>> just enter the branch "refactoring" or visit [2]. There you can see the
>> current state of my work. Be warned: this code might eat your children.
>>
>> Please do not expect final results before the Stuttgart meeting. Using this as
>> a base for new features isn't a good idea, either. The code might change
>> faster than you can do a rebuild of kde. Lastly, I am not going to add
>> features like versioning and a gallery and whatsoever. The primary goal is to
>> have a working refactored owncloud making developers feeling welcomed.
>>
>> If you have feedback please edit the according wiki page or answer this mail.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Jakob
>>
>> [1] http://owncloud.org/index.php/Refactoring
>> [2]
>> https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/www/owncloud/repository/show?rev=refactoring

> Frank Karlitschek
> karlitschek at kde.org

regards
-------
Kunal Ghosh
Dept of Computer Sc.&  Engineering.
Sir MVIT
Bangalore,India

Blog:kunalghosh.wordpress.com
Website:www.kunalghosh.net46.net

Re: Refactoring owncloud

mail@samtuke.com
On Thursday 03 March 2011 11:03:50 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> I think ownCloud might move more into the direction of a platform for web
> apps in the future.  So plugins might become more like Apps which run on
> top of ownCloud.
>
> One day an ownCloud user might install an RSS reader App, a TODO manager or
> a game on ownCloud as an third party App. We can provide a interface to
> search for new Plugins/Apps, install or update via OCS or uninstall them.

I think this sounds promising and exciting.

Just keep in mind that we don't necessarily need another eyeos
(http://www.eyeos.org/) - this project already provides a good platform for
google apps style cloud applications.

For me at least, owncloud would be most useful as a clean and integrated front
end to cloud services provided by other applications, like groupware, jabber
server, tor server, etherpad server, ampache server, webdav, etc.

Thanks,

Sam.

Re: Refactoring owncloud

Jakob Sack-2
Hi Kunal,

Cappuccino looks very interesting, however, I think that it is unsuitable for
owncloud. Although we want nice applications with some AJAX foo a framework
for developing desktop like applications would be an overkill.
As a side node I really do not want to learn another language. Getting used to
javascript/jQuery while learning Ruby/Rails for work is hard enough ;-)
Greetings,

Jakob

Am Donnerstag, 3. M?rz 2011, 12:41:00 schrieb kunal:

> [...]
> >> template system using php files and the ob_* functions and migrate the
> >> javascript code to jquery and jquery-ui.
> >>
> >> At the moment the code is barely working. If you want to have a look at
> >> it just enter the branch "refactoring" or visit [2]. There you can see
> >> the current state of my work. Be warned: this code might eat your
> >> children.
> >>
> >> Please do not expect final results before the Stuttgart meeting. Using
> >> this as a base for new features isn't a good idea, either. The code
> >> might change faster than you can do a rebuild of kde. Lastly, I am not
> >> going to add features like versioning and a gallery and whatsoever. The
> >> primary goal is to have a working refactored owncloud making developers
> >> feeling welcomed.
> >>
> >> If you have feedback please edit the according wiki page or answer this

Re: Refactoring owncloud

Jakob Sack-2
Hi Sam,

I aggree with you that we do not need another web based "operation system".
Unfortunately we did not define the exact aim of owncloud like several kde
applications (ok, the only one that comes to my mind is krita) did it two
years ago. I want to discuss this in Stuttgart.
As of now, my vision is the following: "ownCloud provides an excellent access
to your files, be it through webdav or a web interface. It also provides a
platform to easily sync your contacts, calendars and bookmarks accross
different devices and gives you *basic* editing features right on the web.
Extending ownCloud is straightforward because of its easy to learn yet
powerful API and the simple plugin and application installers."
I think that basic editing features for contacts, calendars and bookmarks are
important because it allows you to perform simple actions from everywhere. On
the other hand, I put the emphasis on "basic" as there is no need to compete
with horde, thousands of gallerys and hundreds of addressbooks that can do
everything.
I like the idea of using other servers and just playing the frontend, too.
I'll keep this in mind.
Greetings,

Jakob

Am Donnerstag, 3. M?rz 2011, 18:37:53 schrieb mail at samtuke.com:

> I think this sounds promising and exciting.
>
> Just keep in mind that we don't necessarily need another eyeos
> (http://www.eyeos.org/) - this project already provides a good platform for
> google apps style cloud applications.
>
> For me at least, owncloud would be most useful as a clean and integrated
> front end to cloud services provided by other applications, like
> groupware, jabber server, tor server, etherpad server, ampache server,
> webdav, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam.

Re: Refactoring owncloud

Jakob Sack-2
Hi Frank,

thanks for your feedback. Basically everything you mentioned was on my mind
when I started the refactoring. No need to write much more here ;-)
I will try to provide a well written base others can build on.
Greetings,

Jakob

Am Donnerstag, 3. M?rz 2011, 12:03:50 schrieben Sie:

> [...]
> > template system using php files and the ob_* functions and migrate the
> > javascript code to jquery and jquery-ui.
> >
> > At the moment the code is barely working. If you want to have a look at
> > it just enter the branch "refactoring" or visit [2]. There you can see
> > the current state of my work. Be warned: this code might eat your
> > children.
> >
> > Please do not expect final results before the Stuttgart meeting. Using
> > this as a base for new features isn't a good idea, either. The code
> > might change faster than you can do a rebuild of kde. Lastly, I am not
> > going to add features like versioning and a gallery and whatsoever. The
> > primary goal is to have a working refactored owncloud making developers
> > feeling welcomed.
> >
> > If you have feedback please edit the according wiki page or answer this

Re: Refactoring owncloud

kunal ghosh
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Jakob Sack <mail at jakobsack.de> wrote:

> Hi Kunal,
>
> Cappuccino looks very interesting, however, I think that it is unsuitable
> for
> owncloud. Although we want nice applications with some AJAX foo a framework
> for developing desktop like applications would be an overkill.
> As a side node I really do not want to learn another language. Getting used
> javascript/jQuery while learning Ruby/Rails for work is hard enough ;-)
> Greetings,

I agree, that would be an overkill. But the Framework looked interesting.
Maybe once we have a valid enough use case it will be of use :)

regards,
Kunal

--
regards