Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

owncloud_mailing_list@status.e4ward.com
Hello all.

I'm restoring my server, and trying to get owncloud to use my backed-up postgresql database. I have the database created following this: http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/admin_manual/configuration/configuration_database.html , and it has all my old data. The config file looks like this:

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => '212e71e403343',
  'passwordsalt' => 'c8f5c73ae621e6373a75a580f305b2',
  'datadirectory' => '/media/data/owncloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'pgsql',
  'dbname' => 'owncloud_database',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' => 'owncloud',
  'dbpassword' => 'MyFancyPassword',
  'installed' => true,
  'maxZipInputSize' => 0,
  'allowZipDownload' => true,
);

I have verified that the database login works with psql -d owncloud_database -U owncloud -W and entering the password in the config file. However, owncloud says "Failed to connect to database," and my postgresql log says 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud".'

What's going on here? Any ideas?

Re: Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

hippykilla
I had the same issue before. I recreated my password with md5hash in the
database and used that in the config file. Bingo, all works.

Re: Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

owncloud_mailing_list@status.e4ward.com
Derek,

Thanks for the information! To clarify: Are you saying to leave my config file as-is, but create the user with:

postgres=# CREATE USER owncloud WITH PASSWORD md5('MyFancyPassword');

?

On 06/28/2013 08:11 PM, Derek Broes wrote:

> I had the same issue before. I recreated my password with md5hash in the
> database and used that in the config file. Bingo, all works.

Yes, whatever database name and user name the database is expecting but do
not have the "MyFancyPassword" in plain text.   Create the password as
"MyFancyPassword" in the database but convert to MD5 at the database.  Copy
that md5 converted password from the database and paste into the config
file, replacing the plain text version of the password.  So, you will only
have a MD5 hash in the config file and in the database created from the
plaintext of "MYFancyPassword" or whatever you choose to use.

Thanks for the information! To clarify: Are you saying to leave my config
file as-is, but create the user with:

postgres=# CREATE USER owncloud WITH PASSWORD md5('MyFancyPassword');

?

On 06/28/2013 08:11 PM, Derek Broes wrote:

> I had the same issue before. I recreated my password with md5hash in
> the database and used that in the config file. Bingo, all works.

Wait... I'm sorry I'm slow but isn't that the same as just having a password that's just a jumble of letters and numbers?

Kyle

On 06/28/2013 08:44 PM, Derek Broes wrote:

> Yes, whatever database name and user name the database is expecting but do
> not have the "MyFancyPassword" in plain text.   Create the password as
> "MyFancyPassword" in the database but convert to MD5 at the database.  Copy
> that md5 converted password from the database and paste into the config
> file, replacing the plain text version of the password.  So, you will only
> have a MD5 hash in the config file and in the database created from the
> plaintext of "MYFancyPassword" or whatever you choose to use.

You would think right?   I am not deep into that specific part of owncloud
and focus on the mobile app side myself but, I haven't spent any time
looking into it but would assume the database is expecting hash or, the
server is sending a hash of the plaintext.  There is a conversion going on
somewhere I would think.   If it works who cares, if it doesn't I'll look
into it more and figure out why it worked for me and still does.   I just
changed both to plain text and the database cannot be contacted. Changed
them back to md5 and viola, a database.  Maybe someone that like databases
can answer.  Not my thing at all.

Wait... I'm sorry I'm slow but isn't that the same as just having a password
that's just a jumble of letters and numbers?

Kyle

On 06/28/2013 08:44 PM, Derek Broes wrote:
> Yes, whatever database name and user name the database is expecting but do
> not have the "MyFancyPassword" in plain text.   Create the password as
> "MyFancyPassword" in the database but convert to MD5 at the database.
> Copy that md5 converted password from the database and paste into the
> config file, replacing the plain text version of the password.  So,
> you will only have a MD5 hash in the config file and in the database
> created from the plaintext of "MYFancyPassword" or whatever you choose to
use.

Re: [spam?] Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

alen vodopijevec
On 29.06.2013 00:41, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have verified that the database login works with psql -d owncloud_database -U owncloud -W and entering the password in the config file. However, owncloud says "Failed to connect to database," and my postgresql log says 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud".'

Hi, can you connect from command line even if you add |"|-h localhost"
switch to psql?

If not:
1. in postgresql.conf, uncomment
listen_addresses = 'localhost'

2. in pg_hba.conf add "md5" on the right place.

regards,
--
alen

Re: [spam?] Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

owncloud_mailing_list@status.e4ward.com
Alen,

I've tested two situations:

-----
1. local all all peer

MUST add -h localhost to connect successfully.

2. local all all md5

Don't need -h localhost to connect successfully (although actually using -h in this scenario is untested).
-----

I get the same results in both of these situations (i.e. 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud"').

Does that answer your question?

Kyle

On 06/29/2013 12:47 AM, alen vodopijevec wrote:

> On 29.06.2013 00:41, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I have verified that the database login works with psql -d owncloud_database -U owncloud -W and entering the password in the config file. However, owncloud says "Failed to connect to database," and my postgresql log says 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud".'
>
> Hi, can you connect from command line even if you add |"|-h localhost" switch to psql?
>
> If not:
> 1. in postgresql.conf, uncomment
> listen_addresses = 'localhost'
>
> 2. in pg_hba.conf add "md5" on the right place.
>
> regards,
> --
> alen

Re: Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

owncloud_mailing_list@status.e4ward.com
Situation 2 is what I'm in now, and I've just verified that it works with and without the -h localhost.

Kyle

On 06/29/2013 02:01 PM, Kyle Fazzari wrote:

> Alen,
>
> I've tested two situations:
>
> -----
> 1. local all all peer
>
> MUST add -h localhost to connect successfully.
>
> 2. local all all md5
>
> Don't need -h localhost to connect successfully (although actually using -h in this scenario is untested).
> -----
>
> I get the same results in both of these situations (i.e. 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud"').
>
> Does that answer your question?
>
> Kyle
>
> On 06/29/2013 12:47 AM, alen vodopijevec wrote:
>> On 29.06.2013 00:41, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I have verified that the database login works with psql -d owncloud_database -U owncloud -W and entering the password in the config file. However, owncloud says "Failed to connect to database," and my postgresql log says 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud".'
>> Hi, can you connect from command line even if you add |"|-h localhost" switch to psql?
>>
>> If not:
>> 1. in postgresql.conf, uncomment
>> listen_addresses = 'localhost'
>>
>> 2. in pg_hba.conf add "md5" on the right place.
>>
>> regards,
>> --
>> alen

Re: [spam?] Re: [spam?] Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

alen vodopijevec
So,

- listen_addresses=localhost is enabled
- you have created user with password
- in pg_hba.conf you have something like:
host    all             all             ::1/128 md5

Please check this "host" detail and try to connect with -h localhost
switch added.

regards,
--
alen

On 29.06.2013 20:01, [hidden email] wrote:

> Alen,
>
> I've tested two situations:
>
> -----
> 1. local all all peer
>
> MUST add -h localhost to connect  ccessfully.
>
> 2. local all all md5
>
> Don't need -h localhost to connect successfully (although actually using -h in this scenario is untested).
> -----
>
> I get the same results in both of these situations (i.e. 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud"').
>
> Does that answer your question?
>
> Kyle
>
> On 06/29/2013 12:47 AM, alen vodopijevec wrote:
>> On 29.06.2013 00:41, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I have verified that the database login works with psql -d owncloud_database -U owncloud -W and entering the password in the config file. However, owncloud says "Failed to connect to database," and my postgresql log says 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud".'
>> Hi, can you connect from command line even if you add |"|-h localhost" switch to psql?
>>
>> If not:
>> 1. in postgresql.conf, uncomment
>> listen_addresses = 'localhost'
>>
>> 2. in pg_hba.conf add "md5" on the right place.
>>
>> regards,
>> --
>> alen

> ----------------------------- UPOZORENJE -----------------------------
>
>     Automatskom detekcijom utvrdjeno je da se u ovoj poruci
>     pojavljuje rijec "PASSWORD" ili "LOZINKA",
>     ili tekst podsjeca na tzv. phishing poruku.
>
>     AKO SE U PORUCI TRAZI DA POSALJETE VASU IRB LOZINKU ILI
>     DA UNESETE IRB PODATKE NA NAVEDENOM LINKU, RADI SE O
>     NAPADU S CILJEM KRADJE I ZLOUPOTREBE PODATAKA.
>
>   Centar za informatiku i racunarstvo,
>   Institut Rudjer Boskovic
>
> ----------------------------- UPOZORENJE -----------------------------

Re: [spam?] Re: [spam?] Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

owncloud_mailing_list@status.e4ward.com
Alen,

Verified. I do have that line, and I CAN connect with -h localhost. Any clue?

Kyle

On 06/29/2013 04:03 PM, alen vodopijevec wrote:

> So,
>
> - listen_addresses=localhost is enabled
> - you have created user with password
> - in pg_hba.conf you have something like:
> host    all             all             ::1/128 md5
>
> Please check this "host" detail and try to connect with -h localhost switch added.
>
> regards,
> --
> alen
>

> On 29.06.2013 20:01, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Alen,
>>
>> I've tested two situations:
>>
>> -----
>> 1. local all all peer
>>
>> MUST add -h localhost to connect  ccessfully.
>>
>> 2. local all all md5
>>
>> Don't need -h localhost to connect successfully (although actually using -h in this scenario is untested).
>> -----
>>
>> I get the same results in both of these situations (i.e. 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud"').
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>>
>> Kyle

>>> Hi, can you connect from command line even if you add |"|-h localhost" switch to psql?
>>>
>>> If not:
>>> 1. in postgresql.conf, uncomment
>>> listen_addresses = 'localhost'
>>>
>>> 2. in pg_hba.conf add "md5" on the right place.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> --
>>> alen

>> ----------------------------- UPOZORENJE -----------------------------
>>
>>     Automatskom detekcijom utvrdjeno je da se u ovoj poruci
>>     pojavljuje rijec "PASSWORD" ili "LOZINKA",
>>     ili tekst podsjeca na tzv. phishing poruku.
>>
>>     AKO SE U PORUCI TRAZI DA POSALJETE VASU IRB LOZINKU ILI
>>     DA UNESETE IRB PODATKE NA NAVEDENOM LINKU, RADI SE O
>>     NAPADU S CILJEM KRADJE I ZLOUPOTREBE PODATAKA.
>>
>>   Centar za informatiku i racunarstvo,
>>   Institut Rudjer Boskovic
>>
>> ----------------------------- UPOZORENJE -----------------------------

Re: [spam?] Re: [spam?] Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

owncloud_mailing_list@status.e4ward.com
Also, I wasn't specific on how I created the owncloud database user-- I followed http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/admin_manual/configuration/configuration_database.html pretty exactly:

CREATE USER owncloud WITH PASSWORD 'MyFancyPassword';
CREATE DATABASE owncloud_database TEMPLATE template0 ENCODING 'UNICODE';
ALTER DATABASE owncloud_database OWNER TO owncloud;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE owncloud_database TO owncloud;

On 06/29/2013 04:03 PM, alen vodopijevec wrote:

> So,
>
> - listen_addresses=localhost is enabled
> - you have created user with password
> - in pg_hba.conf you have something like:
> host    all             all             ::1/128 md5
>
> Please check this "host" detail and try to connect with -h localhost switch added.
>
> regards,
> --
> alen
>

> On 29.06.2013 20:01, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Alen,
>>
>> I've tested two situations:
>>
>> -----
>> 1. local all all peer
>>
>> MUST add -h localhost to connect  ccessfully.
>>
>> 2. local all all md5
>>
>> Don't need -h localhost to connect successfully (although actually using -h in this scenario is untested).
>> -----
>>
>> I get the same results in both of these situations (i.e. 'FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "owncloud"').
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>>
>> Kyle

>>> Hi, can you connect from command line even if you add |"|-h localhost" switch to psql?
>>>
>>> If not:
>>> 1. in postgresql.conf, uncomment
>>> listen_addresses = 'localhost'
>>>
>>> 2. in pg_hba.conf add "md5" on the right place.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> --
>>> alen

>> ----------------------------- UPOZORENJE -----------------------------
>>
>>     Automatskom detekcijom utvrdjeno je da se u ovoj poruci
>>     pojavljuje rijec "PASSWORD" ili "LOZINKA",
>>     ili tekst podsjeca na tzv. phishing poruku.
>>
>>     AKO SE U PORUCI TRAZI DA POSALJETE VASU IRB LOZINKU ILI
>>     DA UNESETE IRB PODATKE NA NAVEDENOM LINKU, RADI SE O
>>     NAPADU S CILJEM KRADJE I ZLOUPOTREBE PODATAKA.
>>
>>   Centar za informatiku i racunarstvo,
>>   Institut Rudjer Boskovic

Re: [spam?] Re: [spam?] Setup Owncloud to use Already-Existing Postgresql Database

owncloud_mailing_list@status.e4ward.com
Huh, I figured it out. My old Owncloud install used mysql, and I was using a password with various special characters in it. That same password will not work with postgresql... I needed to change the password with something that was simply alpha-numeric. Everything is working now. Is that a postgresql limitation, a php limitation, or an Owncloud limitation?

That's probably why the "hash" hack worked. It really was just a password of letters and numbers.

Thanks guys!

Kyle Fazzari