Sip/ internet call field in contacts

Bert Haverkamp

Hello all,

I'm trying to add an "internet call" field to some of my contacts. End goal is to use them on android phones to make... internet calls :-)

Is there a way to add such a contact field? I can't seem to find it in the standard fields, but can I add a custom field maybe?

Please advice,

Bert

Re: Sip/ internet call field in contacts

Thomas Tanghus
On Sunday 21 April 2013 08:54 [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to add an "internet call" field to some of
> my contacts. End goal is to use them on android phones to make...
> internet calls :-)
>
> Is there a way to add such a contact field? I can't
> seem to find it in the standard fields, but can I add a custom field
> maybe?

The web UI doesn't support it, but if you can add it from the Android phone,
it will store it just fine. I'd be interested in seeing which format a sip
entry is saved in.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus

Re: Sip/ internet call field in contacts

Nicolas Mora
Le 2013-04-21 06:22, Thomas Tanghus a écrit :
>> Is there a way to add such a contact field? I can't
>> seem to find it in the standard fields, but can I add a custom field
>> maybe?
>
> The web UI doesn't support it, but if you can add it from the Android phone,
> it will store it just fine. I'd be interested in seeing which format a sip
> entry is saved in.

According to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4770 , SIP can be stored as
an IMPP property, so by adding a SIP type, it could work.

On Sunday 21 April 2013 11:20 Nicolas Mora wrote:

> Le 2013-04-21 06:22, Thomas Tanghus a écrit :
> >> Is there a way to add such a contact field? I can't
> >> seem to find it in the standard fields, but can I add a custom field
> >> maybe?
> >
> > The web UI doesn't support it, but if you can add it from the Android
> > phone, it will store it just fine. I'd be interested in seeing which
> > format a sip entry is saved in.
>
> According to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4770 , SIP can be stored as
> an IMPP property, so by adding a SIP type, it could work.

I had missed that part - thanks :) Not sure if it's what Android uses for SIP
calls though, and adding support for non-standard properties like X-SIP or
whatever won't happen unless someone else does it.

Bert, can you file an issue at https://github.com/owncloud/apps/issues and I
will add IMPP:sip to the next maintenance release.

On 21.04.2013 23:13, Thomas Tanghus wrote:

[...]

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I will file an issue tonight. Two things in advance though:

- I can not add the SIP/"internet call" field on android. Although it is possible for an ordinary google contact, it is not possible for a owncloud/carddav contact

- I found an article about googles implementation of the "internet call" field: http://blog.careyhildebrand.com/2011/03/03/android-sip-call-contact-management-is-poor. Not sure if it is relevant, but it looks like an educated review. It also mentions RFC 4770.

Kind regards,

Bert Haverkamp

Re: Sip/ internet call field in contacts

Thomas Tanghus
Hi Bert

On Monday 22 April 2013 16:12 [hidden email] wrote:
> > Bert, can you file an issue at https://github.com/owncloud/apps/issues
> > and I will add IMPP:sip to the next maintenance release.
> - I found an article about googles
> implementation of the "internet call" field:
> http://blog.careyhildebrand.com/2011/03/03/android-sip-call-contact-manageme
> nt-is-poor. Not sure if it is relevant, but it looks like an educated
> review. It also mentions RFC 4770.

Thanks for the link. It confirms my opinion in how lousy Google are at
following the vCard specifications :-P

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus

Re: Sip/ internet call field in contacts

Bert Haverkamp

Hi Thomas,

I added  a github Issue number|1053. I hope this suffices.

Kind regards,

Bert

On Tuesday 23 April 2013 13:20 [hidden email] wrote:
>  Hi Thomas,
>
> I added a github Issue number|1053. I hope this
> suffices.

Excellent, thanks