Suggested upgrade path

Cybertinus
Hello everybody,

I'm still running a 9.0.4 install. I want to upgrade this to the latest
version (10.0.2), but what is the recommended upgrade path I should
follow now?
 From the documentation I understand that installing all the minor
versions between 9.0.4 and 9.0.10 is recommended, so I will do this.
Then I need to upgrade to version 9.1. But should I upgrade to 9.1.0 and
then upgrade all the minor versions of 9.1 again, or can I directly hop
from 9.0.10 to 9.1.6?
And from 9.1.6 to version 10? Should I go to 10.0.0 or can I go to
10.0.2 directly?

I will be doing the upgrades manually. I've installed Owncloud via
extracting the .tar.bz2, I didn't install via my distro package manager
or something like that.

Thnx for any pointers!

Kind regards,
Cybertinus

Re: Suggested upgrade path

Jonathan Kawohl
Hi Cybertinus,

the recommended way is when using tarball/zip : upgrade directly to ownCloud 9.0.10,then to 9.1.6 and then to 10.0.2 directly.

Currently the packages  for 10.0 are not production ready but will be by the end of the month. Please upgrade to at least 9.1.6 since in this version there are important security fixes.

Kind regards,
John

> Am 06.06.2017 um 10:19 schrieb Cybertinus <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm still running a 9.0.4 install. I want to upgrade this to the latest version (10.0.2), but what is the recommended upgrade path I should follow now?
> From the documentation I understand that installing all the minor versions between 9.0.4 and 9.0.10 is recommended, so I will do this.
> Then I need to upgrade to version 9.1. But should I upgrade to 9.1.0 and then upgrade all the minor versions of 9.1 again, or can I directly hop from 9.0.10 to 9.1.6?
> And from 9.1.6 to version 10? Should I go to 10.0.0 or can I go to 10.0.2 directly?
>
> I will be doing the upgrades manually. I've installed Owncloud via extracting the .tar.bz2, I didn't install via my distro package manager or something like that.
>
> Thnx for any pointers!
>
> Kind regards,
> Cybertinus

Re: Suggested upgrade path

Emil Lefherz
Hi Cybertinus,

seems to be a good idea to upgrade your environment ;)

If you upgrade to 9.0.9 or 9.0.10 first, you have reached a stepstone
from which you can upgrade to 10.0.2 directly. So I recommend: 9.0.4 ->
9.0.9 -> 10.0.2. Only two steps :)

good luck and just ask again if you have questions :)

Emil

On 06.06.2017 10:19, Cybertinus wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm still running a 9.0.4 install. I want to upgrade this to the
> latest version (10.0.2), but what is the recommended upgrade path I
> should follow now?
> From the documentation I understand that installing all the minor
> versions between 9.0.4 and 9.0.10 is recommended, so I will do this.
> Then I need to upgrade to version 9.1. But should I upgrade to 9.1.0
> and then upgrade all the minor versions of 9.1 again, or can I
> directly hop from 9.0.10 to 9.1.6?
> And from 9.1.6 to version 10? Should I go to 10.0.0 or can I go to
> 10.0.2 directly?
>
> I will be doing the upgrades manually. I've installed Owncloud via
> extracting the .tar.bz2, I didn't install via my distro package
> manager or something like that.
>
> Thnx for any pointers!
>
> Kind regards,
> Cybertinus

Re: Suggested upgrade path

Cybertinus
Hello everybody,

OK. Good to know that I don't have to install every minor version in
between! That will save me a lot of time. Each upgrade takes around 9
hours, so skipping a lot of versions is very welcome :).
At the moment the 9.0.5 -> 9.0.6 upgrade is running, which will be done
during the coming night, it is 14:16 hours here now. (something has gone
wrong with this upgrade, so it is rolling back the database changes
now..., then I will upgrade again). Then I will upgrade to 9.0.10
directly.

The reason I thought I needed to install each and every minor version is
the following paragraph at
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html:
"It is best to keep your ownCloud server upgraded regularly, and to
install all point releases and major releases without skipping any of
them, as skipping releases increases the risk of errors. Major releases
are 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and 9.0. Point releases are intermediate releases for
each major release. For example, 8.0.9 and 8.1.3 are point releases.
Skipping major releases is not supported.".
If every minor version isn't needed to install, then maybe rewriting
that section is a good idea :).

Thanks for the pointers anyway! I will use them for sure!

Kind regards,
Cybertinus

On 06-06-2017 14:02, Emil Lefherz wrote:

> Hi Cybertinus,
>
> seems to be a good idea to upgrade your environment ;)
>
> If you upgrade to 9.0.9 or 9.0.10 first, you have reached a stepstone
> from which you can upgrade to 10.0.2 directly. So I recommend: 9.0.4 ->
> 9.0.9 -> 10.0.2. Only two steps :)
>
> good luck and just ask again if you have questions :)
>
> Emil
>

> On 06.06.2017 10:19, Cybertinus wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm still running a 9.0.4 install. I want to upgrade this to the
>> latest version (10.0.2), but what is the recommended upgrade path I
>> should follow now?
>> From the documentation I understand that installing all the minor
>> versions between 9.0.4 and 9.0.10 is recommended, so I will do this.
>> Then I need to upgrade to version 9.1. But should I upgrade to 9.1.0
>> and then upgrade all the minor versions of 9.1 again, or can I
>> directly hop from 9.0.10 to 9.1.6?
>> And from 9.1.6 to version 10? Should I go to 10.0.0 or can I go to
>> 10.0.2 directly?
>>
>> I will be doing the upgrades manually. I've installed Owncloud via
>> extracting the .tar.bz2, I didn't install via my distro package
>> manager or something like that.
>>
>> Thnx for any pointers!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Cybertinus

Re: Suggested upgrade path

Emil Lefherz
Hello Cybertinus,

if you have found the docs misleading, yeah, we should do something
about it. You could file an issue at
https://github.com/owncloud/documentation, @settermjd will be glad about
any suggestions ;)

To clear up the releases:

9.0.0 -> major release
9.0.1 -> point release
9.0.2 -> point release
9.1.0 -> major release
9.1.1 -> point release
9.0.3 -> point release
10.0.0 -> major release

So in the past (as the docs say) you would have done 9.0.4 -> 9.1.0 ->
10.0.2. Since this version we support longer upgrade paths, so you can
skip 9.1.x, if you have at least a 9.0.9. This is a special situation
though ;)

Is this more understandable?

Emil

On 06.06.2017 14:20, Cybertinus wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> OK. Good to know that I don't have to install every minor version in
> between! That will save me a lot of time. Each upgrade takes around 9
> hours, so skipping a lot of versions is very welcome :).
> At the moment the 9.0.5 -> 9.0.6 upgrade is running, which will be
> done during the coming night, it is 14:16 hours here now. (something
> has gone wrong with this upgrade, so it is rolling back the database
> changes now..., then I will upgrade again). Then I will upgrade to
> 9.0.10 directly.
>
> The reason I thought I needed to install each and every minor version
> is the following paragraph at
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html:
> "It is best to keep your ownCloud server upgraded regularly, and to
> install all point releases and major releases without skipping any of
> them, as skipping releases increases the risk of errors. Major
> releases are 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and 9.0. Point releases are intermediate
> releases for each major release. For example, 8.0.9 and 8.1.3 are
> point releases. Skipping major releases is not supported.".
> If every minor version isn't needed to install, then maybe rewriting
> that section is a good idea :).
>
> Thanks for the pointers anyway! I will use them for sure!
>
> Kind regards,
> Cybertinus
>
> On 06-06-2017 14:02, Emil Lefherz wrote:
>> Hi Cybertinus,
>>
>> seems to be a good idea to upgrade your environment ;)
>>
>> If you upgrade to 9.0.9 or 9.0.10 first, you have reached a stepstone
>> from which you can upgrade to 10.0.2 directly. So I recommend: 9.0.4 ->
>> 9.0.9 -> 10.0.2. Only two steps :)
>>
>> good luck and just ask again if you have questions :)
>>
>> Emil
>>

>> On 06.06.2017 10:19, Cybertinus wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I'm still running a 9.0.4 install. I want to upgrade this to the
>>> latest version (10.0.2), but what is the recommended upgrade path I
>>> should follow now?
>>> From the documentation I understand that installing all the minor
>>> versions between 9.0.4 and 9.0.10 is recommended, so I will do this.
>>> Then I need to upgrade to version 9.1. But should I upgrade to 9.1.0
>>> and then upgrade all the minor versions of 9.1 again, or can I
>>> directly hop from 9.0.10 to 9.1.6?
>>> And from 9.1.6 to version 10? Should I go to 10.0.0 or can I go to
>>> 10.0.2 directly?
>>>
>>> I will be doing the upgrades manually. I've installed Owncloud via
>>> extracting the .tar.bz2, I didn't install via my distro package
>>> manager or something like that.
>>>
>>> Thnx for any pointers!
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Cybertinus

Re: Suggested upgrade path

Jacques-2

Le 06/06/2017 à 14:01, Jonathan Kawohl a écrit :> ...
> ... Please upgrade to at least 9.1.6 since in this version there are
important security fixes.

> Kind regards,
> John

Hello,
There were no announce for the release 9.1.6. Please , can you prevent
us via the mailinglists (user and/or announce) when security fixes are done.

Thanks

Jacques