Tahoe-LAFS

Zooko O'Whielacronx
Dear people of ownCloud:

I'm one of the developers and organizers of the Tahoe-LAFS project
[1]. I strongly approve of the values of ownCloud, and I would like to
suggest that you consider using Tahoe-LAFS as a component of it. I've
looked over http://owncloud.org/index.php/Encrypted_File_Storage_Proposal_II
and it seems to me that using Tahoe-LAFS would lend a head start
towards those goals.

We're about to announce Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1 release. That would be a
fine time for y'all to download it and try it out. :-)

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://tahoe-lafs.org

Tahoe-LAFS

Frank Karlitschek
Hi Tooko,

this sounds great. I will definitely look into Tahoe-LAFS.

On problem might be that Tahoe-LAFS has to be installed on the server and not everybody has it available on his/her personal webspace.
The idea of ownCloud is that a users can just extract a tar file into a subdirectoy of a webserver and ownCloud runs. It souldn?t require shell or root access to install.

But Tahoe-LAFS might be a nice optional backend.
I will look into it and see if it work together with ownCloud.

Thanks

On 19.07.2010, at 16:29, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:

> Dear people of ownCloud:
>
> I'm one of the developers and organizers of the Tahoe-LAFS project
> [1]. I strongly approve of the values of ownCloud, and I would like to
> suggest that you consider using Tahoe-LAFS as a component of it. I've
> looked over http://owncloud.org/index.php/Encrypted_File_Storage_Proposal_II
> and it seems to me that using Tahoe-LAFS would lend a head start
> towards those goals.
>
> We're about to announce Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1 release. That would be a
> fine time for y'all to download it and try it out. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko
>
> [1] http://tahoe-lafs.org

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

Tahoe-LAFS

Tobias Hunger
On Monday, 19 July 2010 16:29:20 Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> Dear people of ownCloud:
>
> I'm one of the developers and organizers of the Tahoe-LAFS project
> [1]. I strongly approve of the values of ownCloud, and I would like to
> suggest that you consider using Tahoe-LAFS as a component of it. I've
> looked over
> http://owncloud.org/index.php/Encrypted_File_Storage_Proposal_II and it
> seems to me that using Tahoe-LAFS would lend a head start
> towards those goals.

Dear person from Tahoe,

nice to know that somebody read the proposal:-) It is not endorsed by owncloud
as far as I know, it basically is just my idea to attack the problems I see.

I have been studying the Tahoe-LAFS web pages last night and it is indeed a
very interesting reading. Your documentation is way better than what most open
source projects have, good work there!

So far I still stand by my proposal, but I think I'll at least update it in
some places based on what I learned so far:-)

The resistance to servers vanishing is a interesting idea, even though I am
not convinced that this is actually needed for the use cases I see. How big is
the space overhead of a "3 out of 10" setup compared to just storing the files
without any protection against parts of the server vanishing?

> We're about to announce Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1 release. That would be a
> fine time for y'all to download it and try it out. :-)

I might actually end up doing that:-)

Thanks for pointing out your project!

Best Regards,
Tobias