Theming improvements: AngularJS integration for core?

Theming improvements: AngularJS integration for core?

Stefan Nagtegaal
Hey everybody,

I've seen some discussions in the past on the mailing list about using AngularJS for at least the ownCloud-core.
While I am willing to work on anything that speeds up the separation between design vs function (improving themability of ownCloud), this would be a great chance for me to kick in.

However, after reading the AngularJS documentation (1) and the angularJS page on ownCloud's handbook, I have no clue where to begin.
The page in the handbook suggests (to my idea) that AngularJS-script is already present somewhere in the 3rdparty directory (2, 3). Unfortunatly I can not find it there, so perhaps this is a mistake in the docs.

Now, what is the direction ownCloud is going to take in this? AngularJS core integration? Is there any work that has already been done, which could be used as an example?

(1) - http://www.angularjs.org/
(2) - http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/developer_manual/app/general/angular.html
(3) - http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/developer_manual/app/appframework/angular.html

Kind regards,

Stefan

Re: Theming improvements: AngularJS integration for core?

Alessandro Cosentino
Hi Stefan,

Angular is here:
https://github.com/owncloud/appframework/tree/master/js/vendor/angular

We are using the appframework, including angularjs, in the News app:
https://github.com/owncloud/news

Hope this helps.

Alessandro

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Victor Dubiniuk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for stupid +1 but I'm also interested in this question.  :)
>
> Victor
>

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Stefan Nagtegaal
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey everybody,
>>
>> I've seen some discussions in the past on the mailing list about using
>> AngularJS for at least the ownCloud-core.
>> While I am willing to work on anything that speeds up the separation
>> between design vs function (improving themability of ownCloud), this would
>> be a great chance for me to kick in.
>>
>> However, after reading the AngularJS documentation (1) and the angularJS
>> page on ownCloud's handbook, I have no clue where to begin.
>> The page in the handbook suggests (to my idea) that AngularJS-script is
>> already present somewhere in the 3rdparty directory (2, 3). Unfortunatly I
>> can not find it there, so perhaps this is a mistake in the docs.
>>
>> Now, what is the direction ownCloud is going to take in this? AngularJS
>> core integration? Is there any work that has already been done, which could
>> be used as an example?
>>
>> (1) - http://www.angularjs.org/
>> (2) -
>> http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/developer_manual/app/general/angular.html
>> (3) -
>> http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/developer_manual/app/appframework/angular.html
>>

>> Kind regards,
>>

>> Stefan

Re: Theming improvements: AngularJS integration for core?

Stefan Nagtegaal
Is there a consensus made on using AngularJS for core tempting?
I searched the archives of the mailing list, but couldn't find anything related to that.

Gr, Stefan

Op 3 apr. 2013, om 14:11 heeft Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Angular is here:
> https://github.com/owncloud/appframework/tree/master/js/vendor/angular
>
> We are using the appframework, including angularjs, in the News app:
> https://github.com/owncloud/news
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Alessandro
>
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Victor Dubiniuk
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry for stupid +1 but I'm also interested in this question.  :)
>>
>> Victor
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Stefan Nagtegaal
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey everybody,
>>>
>>> I've seen some discussions in the past on the mailing list about using
>>> AngularJS for at least the ownCloud-core.
>>> While I am willing to work on anything that speeds up the separation
>>> between design vs function (improving themability of ownCloud), this would
>>> be a great chance for me to kick in.
>>>
>>> However, after reading the AngularJS documentation (1) and the angularJS
>>> page on ownCloud's handbook, I have no clue where to begin.
>>> The page in the handbook suggests (to my idea) that AngularJS-script is
>>> already present somewhere in the 3rdparty directory (2, 3). Unfortunatly I
>>> can not find it there, so perhaps this is a mistake in the docs.
>>>
>>> Now, what is the direction ownCloud is going to take in this? AngularJS
>>> core integration? Is there any work that has already been done, which could
>>> be used as an example?
>>>
>>> (1) - http://www.angularjs.org/
>>> (2) -
>>> http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/developer_manual/app/general/angular.html
>>> (3) -
>>> http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/developer_manual/app/appframework/angular.html
>>>

>>> Kind regards,
>>>

>>> Stefan

Re: Theming improvements: AngularJS integration for core?

Bernhard Posselt
I dont mean to hurt your enthusiasm, but I think this is a long term goal that we can achieve in, maybe 2 years? Because:

1. stuff must not break, if stuff breaks users are unhappy and we dont have time to fix bugs, make improvements (keep in mind that owncloud is a company too which has to offer a stable version for enterprises)
2. to realize that something broke you have to test ALL the features. sounds tiresome? it is, so automate it -> everything has to be covered by acceptance tests https://github.com/owncloud/acceptance-testing
3. before we dont have a full test coverage starting with rewriting something is not possible

On 04/03/2013 11:30 AM, Stefan Nagtegaal wrote:
[...]

Please check the mail that i sent some seconds ago ;)

On 04/04/2013 11:19 AM, Stefan Nagtegaal wrote:

> Is there a consensus made on using AngularJS for core tempting?
> I searched the archives of the mailing list, but couldn't find anything related to that.
>
> Gr, Stefan
>

> Op 3 apr. 2013, om 14:11 heeft Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> Angular is here:
>> https://github.com/owncloud/appframework/tree/master/js/vendor/angular
>>
>> We are using the appframework, including angularjs, in the News app:
>> https://github.com/owncloud/news
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Alessandro
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Victor Dubiniuk
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sorry for stupid +1 but I'm also interested in this question.  :)
>>>
>>> Victor

Re: Theming improvements: AngularJS integration for core?

Victor Dubiniuk
Hi,
Something is still unclear is what OC versions are compatible with appframework.
And hard app dependencies are not handled by core currently which means that installing an  appframework-based app from appstore might broke the entire installation.
We need some sort of 'depends' tag in  info.xml to do it properly.

Victor

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Everything up from owncloud 5.0 is compatible (its in the appframeworks info.xml)

As for the breakage: apps from the appstore also break your installation if the contain syntax errors. Id suggest to improve the installation routine.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Bernhard Posselt <[hidden email]> wrote:

As for the breakage: apps from the appstore also break your installation if the contain syntax errors. Id suggest to improve the installation routine.

yes, that's exactly what I mean :)