Transcoding Videos With FFMPEG in ownCloud

Transcoding Videos With FFMPEG in ownCloud

Sean Bowen-Williams

Hi,

I'm creating a plugin for Northwestern University's School of Education and Social Policy that uses ffmpeg to convert video files to a professor's preferred format.

Now, to my understanding, ownCloud encrypts files at rest. Will this interfere with the conversion and, if so, is there a way to circumvent this?

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Transcoding Videos With FFMPEG in ownCloud

Ryan Nix
Just an addendum here:  Sean and I are working on this app this summer and will publish it in the ownCloud Apps directory upon completion.

Northwestern University's School of Education's faculty work with a lot of video for analysis and we have found that ownCloud handles video files far better than other solutions like Box.com.  The purpose of our project is to extend ownCloud's functionality so that people can transcode their various video files into a standardized format, in our case m4v.  If anyone is interested in helping out, please let us know.

Thanks,

Ryan

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Sean Bowen-Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm creating a plugin for Northwestern University's School of Education and Social Policy that uses ffmpeg to convert video files to a professor's preferred format.

Now, to my understanding, ownCloud encrypts files at rest. Will this interfere with the conversion and, if so, is there a way to circumvent this?

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Transcoding Videos With FFMPEG in ownCloud

Arman Khalatyan-2
Hi Ryan and Sean,
this is pretty cool idea!
As I started at AIP(Astrphysical Institute Potsdam) LatexCompilier and
Editor project a lot of people were asking on movie and image
convertor. Most of the requests are coming based on incompatibility
between Mac and Win codecs.
Currently I am using home brewed scripts to convert files but it is
not integrated in to OC.
LatexCompilier is not handling encrypted OC.
If you disable encryption app on OC then you have on the server normal
files so you can convert them in the backend as you want.
If encryption is essential for your environment(you dont trust admins
or you host in the remove cloud) then you should always decrypt file
on the server using users keys  convert then encrypt them back. For
this things better maybe to use OC API function.
I am not familiar with encryption api, maybe some one can comment on it.

In any case  this app will be great addition in to OC.

Greetings from Potsdam,
Arman.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Nix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just an addendum here:  Sean and I are working on this app this summer and
> will publish it in the ownCloud Apps directory upon completion.
>
> Northwestern University's School of Education's faculty work with a lot of
> video for analysis and we have found that ownCloud handles video files far
> better than other solutions like Box.com.  The purpose of our project is to
> extend ownCloud's functionality so that people can transcode their various
> video files into a standardized format, in our case m4v.  If anyone is
> interested in helping out, please let us know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan
>

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Sean Bowen-Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm creating a plugin for Northwestern University's School of Education
>> and Social Policy that uses ffmpeg to convert video files to a professor's
>> preferred format.
>>
>> Now, to my understanding, ownCloud encrypts files at rest. Will this
>> interfere with the conversion and, if so, is there a way to circumvent this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sean

Re: Transcoding Videos With FFMPEG in ownCloud

Bernhard Posselt-2
If you dont trust the admins, then the encryption app is not catering to
your use case. Do you host your storage externally like on amazon s3
using the files_external app? If not encryption is useless and you could
simply convert the existing file.

On 08/06/2014 10:53 AM, Arman Khalatyan wrote:

> Hi Ryan and Sean,
> this is pretty cool idea!
> As I started at AIP(Astrphysical Institute Potsdam) LatexCompilier and
> Editor project a lot of people were asking on movie and image
> convertor. Most of the requests are coming based on incompatibility
> between Mac and Win codecs.
> Currently I am using home brewed scripts to convert files but it is
> not integrated in to OC.
> LatexCompilier is not handling encrypted OC.
> If you disable encryption app on OC then you have on the server normal
> files so you can convert them in the backend as you want.
> If encryption is essential for your environment(you dont trust admins
> or you host in the remove cloud) then you should always decrypt file
> on the server using users keys  convert then encrypt them back. For
> this things better maybe to use OC API function.
> I am not familiar with encryption api, maybe some one can comment on it.
>
> In any case  this app will be great addition in to OC.
>
> Greetings from Potsdam,
> Arman.
>
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Nix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just an addendum here:  Sean and I are working on this app this summer and
>> will publish it in the ownCloud Apps directory upon completion.
>>
>> Northwestern University's School of Education's faculty work with a lot of
>> video for analysis and we have found that ownCloud handles video files far
>> better than other solutions like Box.com.  The purpose of our project is to
>> extend ownCloud's functionality so that people can transcode their various
>> video files into a standardized format, in our case m4v.  If anyone is
>> interested in helping out, please let us know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ryan
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Sean Bowen-Williams
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm creating a plugin for Northwestern University's School of Education
>>> and Social Policy that uses ffmpeg to convert video files to a professor's
>>> preferred format.
>>>
>>> Now, to my understanding, ownCloud encrypts files at rest. Will this
>>> interfere with the conversion and, if so, is there a way to circumvent this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sean

Re: Transcoding Videos With FFMPEG in ownCloud

Arman Khalatyan-2
Thanks for clarification, so as I understood from your description the
encryption does not help if you dont trust admins?
Is this mean if you don't trust admins of cloud provider better to
have encrypted VM instance and host OC on it?
thanks,
Arman.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Bernhard Posselt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you dont trust the admins, then the encryption app is not catering to
> your use case. Do you host your storage externally like on amazon s3 using
> the files_external app? If not encryption is useless and you could simply
> convert the existing file.
>

> On 08/06/2014 10:53 AM, Arman Khalatyan wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ryan and Sean,
>> this is pretty cool idea!
>> As I started at AIP(Astrphysical Institute Potsdam) LatexCompilier and
>> Editor project a lot of people were asking on movie and image
>> convertor. Most of the requests are coming based on incompatibility
>> between Mac and Win codecs.
>> Currently I am using home brewed scripts to convert files but it is
>> not integrated in to OC.
>> LatexCompilier is not handling encrypted OC.
>> If you disable encryption app on OC then you have on the server normal
>> files so you can convert them in the backend as you want.
>> If encryption is essential for your environment(you dont trust admins
>> or you host in the remove cloud) then you should always decrypt file
>> on the server using users keys  convert then encrypt them back. For
>> this things better maybe to use OC API function.
>> I am not familiar with encryption api, maybe some one can comment on it.
>>
>> In any case  this app will be great addition in to OC.
>>
>> Greetings from Potsdam,
>> Arman.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Nix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just an addendum here:  Sean and I are working on this app this summer
>>> and
>>> will publish it in the ownCloud Apps directory upon completion.
>>>
>>> Northwestern University's School of Education's faculty work with a lot
>>> of
>>> video for analysis and we have found that ownCloud handles video files
>>> far
>>> better than other solutions like Box.com.  The purpose of our project is
>>> extend ownCloud's functionality so that people can transcode their
>>> various
>>> video files into a standardized format, in our case m4v.  If anyone is
>>> interested in helping out, please let us know.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ryan

Re: Transcoding Videos With FFMPEG in ownCloud

Ryan Nix
Thanks for the insight.  We do trust admins (I hope so, because I'm the admin at SESP), but encryption at rest and transport is essential to us because we work with sensitive data subject to IRB rules. In fact, when I do the ownCloud dog and pony show to people I show them a simple text file in my account that can't be read with vi when I ssh into our server.

We too are having problems with multiple video formats, mov, wmv, mp4, etc, so we hope this ownCloud plug-in that utilizes ffmpeg will ameliorate these issues and help people standardize on a format that offers the best size, quality and compatibility.