Translation and permissions

Sergio Ballesteros
Hi, first of all, I'm very glad with the proyect Owncloud, so glad that I
would like to take part, and I was wondering if there is any way I could
translate the releases of Owncloud from English to Spanish and share it with
the comunity.

I'd also like to ask which are the propper permissions to each folder in a
GNU/Linux server (Debian). If the permissions are 777 for the main folder of
owncloud (/var/www/owncloud) and also 777 for the
subfolders (/var/www/owncloud/*) you can easyly access to the files of any
user, just in the link www.(myweb).com/owncloud/data/.
So which permissions should be given to each folder?

Best regards,

Sergio.

kfx

Re: Translation and permissions

kfx
On 3/8/11 4:27 PM, Sergio Ballesteros wrote:

> Hi, first of all, I'm very glad with the proyect Owncloud, so glad
> that I would like to take part, and I was wondering if there is any
> way I could translate the releases of Owncloud from English to Spanish
> and share it with the comunity.
>
> I'd also like to ask which are the propper permissions to each folder
> in a GNU/Linux server (Debian). If the permissions are 777 for the
> main folder of owncloud (/var/www/owncloud) and also 777 for the
> subfolders (/var/www/owncloud/*) you can easyly access to the files of
> any user, just in the link www.(myweb).com/owncloud/data/.
> So which permissions should be given to each folder?

The permission problem is for users with shell access to the server.
Just fix it by assigning a correct user/group and removing others rights.
And for the much worrying problem which allows direct access to the
user's file with HTTP without any authentication you have to drop a
.htaccess file in the data directory denying all access. I think this
should be mentioned as fast as possible in the readme file.

Re: Translation and permissions

Robin Appelman
On Tuesday 08 March 2011 16:27:23 Sergio Ballesteros wrote:

> Hi, first of all, I'm very glad with the proyect Owncloud, so glad that I
> would like to take part, and I was wondering if there is any way I could
> translate the releases of Owncloud from English to Spanish and share it
> with the comunity.
>
> I'd also like to ask which are the propper permissions to each folder in a
> GNU/Linux server (Debian). If the permissions are 777 for the main folder
> of owncloud (/var/www/owncloud) and also 777 for the
> subfolders (/var/www/owncloud/*) you can easyly access to the files of any
> user, just in the link www.(myweb).com/owncloud/data/.
> So which permissions should be given to each folder?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sergio.
it's recommended to set the owner of the ownCloud folder and it's subfolders
to the user that the webserver runs under (www-data for debian iirc), then the
installer will automatically set the permissions of things like the data
directory and the sqlite database (700 form the top of my head).

 - Robin Appelman