Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Alexis

Hi all,

When doing a routine `apt-get upgrade` on the server on which my
oC installation resides, i received the message:

    The following packages have been kept back:
      owncloud owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server

If i then do `apt-get install owncloud`, i get:

    Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done The following extra packages
    will be installed:
      owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server php5-ldap
    Suggested packages:
      clamav clamav-daemon libreoffice-writer php5-apcu php-apc
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      owncloud-3rdparty owncloud-app-activity
      owncloud-app-encryption owncloud-app-external
      owncloud-app-files owncloud-app-files-external
      owncloud-app-files-locking owncloud-app-files-pdfviewer
      owncloud-app-files-sharing owncloud-app-files-texteditor
      owncloud-app-files-trashbin owncloud-app-files-versions
      owncloud-app-files-videoviewer owncloud-app-firstrunwizard
      owncloud-app-gallery owncloud-app-provisioning-api
      owncloud-app-templateeditor owncloud-app-user-external
      owncloud-app-user-ldap owncloud-app-user-webdavauth
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      php5-ldap
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      owncloud owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server
    3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 20 to remove and 0 not
    upgraded.  Need to get 30.6 MB of archives.  After this
    operation, 153 kB of additional disk space will be used.  Do
    you want to continue [Y/n]?

What's with all the packages that will be removed? Have they all
been consolidated into e.g. the `owncloud` package? Or will they
need to be reinstalled manually, post-upgrade?


Alexis.
_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Frank de Lange
Alexis wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> When doing a routine `apt-get upgrade` on the server on which my oC
> installation resides, i received the message:
>
>    The following packages have been kept back:      owncloud
> owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server

This means some of the dependencies for the upgrade have not been met,
hence the packages are held back

>
> If i then do `apt-get install owncloud`, i get:
>
>    Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree    Reading
> state information... Done The following extra packages    will be
> installed:      owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server php5-ldap  
> Suggested packages:      clamav clamav-daemon libreoffice-writer
> php5-apcu php-apc    The following packages will be REMOVED:    
> owncloud-3rdparty owncloud-app-activity      owncloud-app-encryption
> owncloud-app-external      owncloud-app-files
> owncloud-app-files-external      owncloud-app-files-locking
> owncloud-app-files-pdfviewer      owncloud-app-files-sharing
> owncloud-app-files-texteditor      owncloud-app-files-trashbin
> owncloud-app-files-versions      owncloud-app-files-videoviewer
> owncloud-app-firstrunwizard      owncloud-app-gallery
> owncloud-app-provisioning-api      owncloud-app-templateeditor
> owncloud-app-user-external      owncloud-app-user-ldap
> owncloud-app-user-webdavauth    The following NEW packages will be
> installed:      php5-ldap    The following packages will be upgraded:
>      owncloud owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server    3 upgraded, 1
> newly installed, 20 to remove and 0 not    upgraded.  Need to get 30.6
> MB of archives.  After this    operation, 153 kB of additional disk
> space will be used.  Do    you want to continue [Y/n]?
>
> What's with all the packages that will be removed? Have they all been
> consolidated into e.g. the `owncloud` package? Or will they need to be
> reinstalled manually, post-upgrade?

Here you explicitly state you want to install owncloud-server (which was
held back due to missing dependencies), leading to apt suggesting to
remove all packages which depend on the older version. You should wait
for the dependencies to be met (or corrected) in the repository.

To check dependencies, use apt-cache show owncloud-server and look for
Depends/Breaks/Replaces:

$ apt-cache show owncloud-server
Package: owncloud-server
Source: owncloud
Version: 8.1.3-12.1
Architecture: all
Maintainer: Jürgen Weigert <[hidden email]>
Installed-Size: 79536
Depends: php5 (>= 5.4.0), php5-mysqlnd | php5-mysql, php5-sqlite,
php5-pgsql, php5-common, php5-gd, php-xml-parser, php5-intl,
php5-mcrypt, php5-curl, php5-json, php5-ldap, php5-cli
Suggests: php5-apcu (>= 4.0.6) | php-apc
Breaks: owncloud (<< 7.9.9), owncloud-3rdparty (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-activity (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-encryption (<<
8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-external (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files
(<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-encryption (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-external (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-locking
(<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-pdfviewer (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-sharing (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-texteditor (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-trashbin (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-versions
(<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-videoviewer (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-firstrunwizard (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-gallery (<<
8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-provisioning-api (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-templateeditor (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-updater (<<
8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-user-external (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-user-ldap (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-user-webdavauth (<<
8.1.3-12.1)
Replaces: owncloud (<< 7.9.9), owncloud-3rdparty (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-activity (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-encryption (<<
8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-external (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files
(<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-encryption (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-external (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-locking
(<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-pdfviewer (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-sharing (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-texteditor (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-files-trashbin (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-versions
(<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-files-videoviewer (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-firstrunwizard (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-gallery (<<
8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-provisioning-api (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-templateeditor (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-updater (<<
8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-user-external (<< 8.1.3-12.1),
owncloud-app-user-ldap (<< 8.1.3-12.1), owncloud-app-user-webdavauth (<<
8.1.3-12.1)
Filename: ./all/owncloud-server_8.1.3-12.1_all.deb
Size: 30526266
MD5sum: 308b9ba5b7da193dda594c4da228009a
SHA1: 2f8823d44b7cd7911a790f93e09f6921ddc4bc70
SHA256: 51512f4c6a4eba29af6d938288818f50b0dd57115106530b806652ee3f1265ba
Section: devel
Priority: optional
Description: The owncloud-server package
 .
 Server internals. For a complete system install package owncloud.
Description-md5: 9fad35b7290d84c315d51d9ce427d609

In this case you'll soon find out that the app packages have not been
updated yet:

$ apt-cache policy owncloud-app-files-texteditor
owncloud-app-files-texteditor:
  Installed: 8.1.1-1
  Candidate: 8.1.1-1
  Version table:
 *** 8.1.1-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

In other words, just wait for them to appear...

Gr//Fr
_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Jürgen Weigert
In reply to this post by Alexis
Yes, with 8.1.3 the owncloud-app-* packagages are now consolidated into
the owncloud-server package.
We always had issues with postinstall scripts being in the wrong order,
and we no longer have a real reason to keep the apps separate.

cheers, JW-

Am 16.09.2015 um 14:49 schrieb Alexis:

>
> Hi all,
>
> When doing a routine `apt-get upgrade` on the server on which my oC
> installation resides, i received the message:
>
>    The following packages have been kept back:      owncloud
> owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server
>
> If i then do `apt-get install owncloud`, i get:
>
>    Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading
> state information... Done The following extra packages will be
> installed:      owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server php5-ldap    
> Suggested packages:      clamav clamav-daemon libreoffice-writer
> php5-apcu php-apc    The following packages will be REMOVED:      
> owncloud-3rdparty owncloud-app-activity owncloud-app-encryption
> owncloud-app-external owncloud-app-files owncloud-app-files-external
> owncloud-app-files-locking owncloud-app-files-pdfviewer
> owncloud-app-files-sharing owncloud-app-files-texteditor
> owncloud-app-files-trashbin owncloud-app-files-versions
> owncloud-app-files-videoviewer owncloud-app-firstrunwizard
> owncloud-app-gallery owncloud-app-provisioning-api
> owncloud-app-templateeditor owncloud-app-user-external
> owncloud-app-user-ldap owncloud-app-user-webdavauth    The following
> NEW packages will be installed:      php5-ldap    The following
> packages will be upgraded:      owncloud owncloud-config-apache
> owncloud-server    3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 20 to remove and 0
> not    upgraded.  Need to get 30.6 MB of archives.  After this    
> operation, 153 kB of additional disk space will be used.  Do    you
> want to continue [Y/n]?
>
> What's with all the packages that will be removed? Have they all been
> consolidated into e.g. the `owncloud` package? Or will they need to be
> reinstalled manually, post-upgrade?
>
>
> Alexis.
> _______________________________________________
> User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user

--
Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff, Frank Karlitschek
Schloßäckerstrasse 26a, 90443 Nürnberg, HRB 28050 (AG Nürnberg)

_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Frank de Lange
Jürgen Weigert wrote:
> Yes, with 8.1.3 the owncloud-app-* packagages are now consolidated into
> the owncloud-server package.
> We always had issues with postinstall scripts being in the wrong order,
> and we no longer have a real reason to keep the apps separate.

OK, in that case this should be made known in some way so as not to
cause confusion. Maybe those 'missing' app packages can be added to the
'Provides' section for owncloud-server? That would take care of this issue.

Gr//Fr
_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Jürgen Weigert
Please have a look at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/isv:ownCloud:community/owncloud/debian.control?expand=1

They are all listed in Replaces: and in Breaks: of the owncloud-server,  
that seems to work great for normal cases.

cheers, JW-

Am 16.09.2015 um 15:24 schrieb Frank de Lange:

> Jürgen Weigert wrote:
>> Yes, with 8.1.3 the owncloud-app-* packagages are now consolidated into
>> the owncloud-server package.
>> We always had issues with postinstall scripts being in the wrong order,
>> and we no longer have a real reason to keep the apps separate.
> OK, in that case this should be made known in some way so as not to
> cause confusion. Maybe those 'missing' app packages can be added to the
> 'Provides' section for owncloud-server? That would take care of this issue.
>
> Gr//Fr
> _______________________________________________
> User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user

--
Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff, Frank Karlitschek
Schloßäckerstrasse 26a, 90443 Nürnberg, HRB 28050 (AG Nürnberg)

_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Frank de Lange
Jürgen Weigert wrote:
> Please have a look at
>
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/isv:ownCloud:community/owncloud/debian.control?expand=1
>
>
> They are all listed in Replaces: and in Breaks: of the owncloud-server,
> that seems to work great for normal cases.

It works for dist-upgrade, but not for 'plain' upgrade as that holds
back any package which would cause other packages to be uninstalled:

(from man apt-get)

"...under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed,
or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New
versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
without changing the install status of another package will be left
at their current version..."

Gr//Fr
_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Jürgen Weigert
Thanks for that input Frank!

Can you please compile that into a github issue at
https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues

thanks,
JW-

Am 16.09.2015 um 15:55 schrieb Frank de Lange:

> Jürgen Weigert wrote:
>> Please have a look at
>>
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/isv:ownCloud:community/owncloud/debian.control?expand=1
>>
>> They are all listed in Replaces: and in Breaks: of the owncloud-server,
>> that seems to work great for normal cases.
> It works for dist-upgrade, but not for 'plain' upgrade as that holds
> back any package which would cause other packages to be uninstalled:
>
> (from man apt-get)
>
> "...under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed,
> or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New
> versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
> without changing the install status of another package will be left
> at their current version..."
>
> Gr//Fr
> _______________________________________________
> User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user

--
Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff, Frank Karlitschek
Schloßäckerstrasse 26a, 90443 Nürnberg, HRB 28050 (AG Nürnberg)

_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Jürgen Weigert
In reply to this post by Frank de Lange

After some research, I found that the man-page does not have the full
picture.
Upgrade behaves differently, depending how it is used:

apt-get upgrade
  The following packages have been kept back:
   owncloud owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server
   0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

apt-get upgrade owncloud
   The following packages will be REMOVED:
   owncloud-3rdparty owncloud-app-activity owncloud-app-encryption
owncloud-app-external owncloud-app-files owncloud-app-files-external
owncloud-app-files-locking
   owncloud-app-files-pdfviewer owncloud-app-files-sharing
owncloud-app-files-texteditor owncloud-app-files-trashbin
owncloud-app-files-versions owncloud-app-files-videoviewer
   owncloud-app-firstrunwizard owncloud-app-gallery
owncloud-app-provisioning-api owncloud-app-templateeditor
owncloud-app-user-external owncloud-app-user-ldap
   owncloud-app-user-webdavauth
The following NEW packages will be installed:
   php5-ldap
The following packages will be upgraded:
   owncloud owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server
3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 20 to remove and 0 not upgraded.


ll the details at https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/19124

so much for consistency.
cheers, JW-

Am 16.09.2015 um 15:55 schrieb Frank de Lange:

> Jürgen Weigert wrote:
>> Please have a look at
>>
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/isv:ownCloud:community/owncloud/debian.control?expand=1
>>
>> They are all listed in Replaces: and in Breaks: of the owncloud-server,
>> that seems to work great for normal cases.
> It works for dist-upgrade, but not for 'plain' upgrade as that holds
> back any package which would cause other packages to be uninstalled:
>
> (from man apt-get)
>
> "...under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed,
> or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New
> versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
> without changing the install status of another package will be left
> at their current version..."
>
> Gr//Fr
> _______________________________________________
> User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user

--
Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff, Frank Karlitschek
Schloßäckerstrasse 26a, 90443 Nürnberg, HRB 28050 (AG Nürnberg)

_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Frank de Lange
Jürgen Weigert wrote:

>
> After some research, I found that the man-page does not have the full
> picture.
> Upgrade behaves differently, depending how it is used:
>
> apt-get upgrade
>  The following packages have been kept back:
>   owncloud owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server
>   0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>
> apt-get upgrade owncloud
>   The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   owncloud-3rdparty owncloud-app-activity owncloud-app-encryption
> owncloud-app-external owncloud-app-files owncloud-app-files-external
> owncloud-app-files-locking
>   owncloud-app-files-pdfviewer owncloud-app-files-sharing
> owncloud-app-files-texteditor owncloud-app-files-trashbin
> owncloud-app-files-versions owncloud-app-files-videoviewer
>   owncloud-app-firstrunwizard owncloud-app-gallery
> owncloud-app-provisioning-api owncloud-app-templateeditor
> owncloud-app-user-external owncloud-app-user-ldap
>   owncloud-app-user-webdavauth
> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>   php5-ldap
> The following packages will be upgraded:
>   owncloud owncloud-config-apache owncloud-server
> 3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 20 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>
>
> ll the details at https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/19124
>
> so much for consistency.
> cheers, JW-
>
> Am 16.09.2015 um 15:55 schrieb Frank de Lange:
>> Jürgen Weigert wrote:
>>> Please have a look at
>>>
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/isv:ownCloud:community/owncloud/debian.control?expand=1
>>
>>>
>>> They are all listed in Replaces: and in Breaks: of the owncloud-server,
>>> that seems to work great for normal cases.
>> It works for dist-upgrade, but not for 'plain' upgrade as that holds
>> back any package which would cause other packages to be uninstalled:
>>
>> (from man apt-get)
>>
>> "...under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed,
>> or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New
>> versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
>> without changing the install status of another package will be left
>> at their current version..."
>>
>> Gr//Fr
>> _______________________________________________
>> User mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
>

(good that I saw this post as I was entering a new bug report on another
screen)

Updating a single package behaves like explicitly installing it using
apt-get install.

Be that as it may, the normal way to upgrade Debian-based distributions
is to issue a general 'apt-get update', not a per-package command. Given
that workflow the problem still exists so it would be beneficial to have
those deprecated packages added to the 'Provides' section for
owncloud-server. This should fix the upgrade (as in "I have not tried it
yet but I assume it'll work"). I'll add this to the discussion @github.

Gr//Fr
_______________________________________________
User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

piet
Yes. thank you.

But we also update from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 (debian Jessie 64 bits)
And it broke our owncloud server. It is  a VM, so we put the last snapshot to came back.

But so is there a clean way, a procedure to do it to have a stable version...?

Thank you.

Regard.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading from 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 on Debian Jessie x86_64

Chris-3
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.