WD Challenge - IFTTT integration

Taehyun Park
Hi all,

I'd like to participate in the WD contest, and here's my proposal.

To give a little bit of my background, I'm the creator of Prota OS (http://prota.info/downloads - there's nothing much at this point. Working on it now), and it's basically a headless operating system for personal server computers. I thought this would perfectly solve the issues stated in the contest page.

Let me explain what Prota OS can do already and what I'm going to build during this contest.

What Prota OS can do
1. Configure WiFi without plugging in keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.
  Prota automatically puts RPi with WiFi dongle into the AP mode, so users can find Pi in their WiFi SSID list and connect to it. Then, they open up a web browser to configure Pi's WiFi using Prota's web-based interface.
2. Install ownCloud with a single click.
  Prota provides a service called App Library, from which users can download and install pre-packaged applications to their Protas. In the past, I've ported the older versions of ownCloud, so I know it works. Better yet, Prota automatically recognizes any USB connected storage devices, so after installing ownCloud, it should just work.
3. Automate applications
  Prota has its own automation engine, sort of similar to IFTTT, but a lot more powerful as it runs on your own hardware (this means you can utilize Pi's GPIO and plug in any sensors of your choice).

What I will build
1. Port the latest version of ownCloud to the latest version of Prota OS.
2. Integrate ownCloud to Prota's automation engine.

Benefits
* "burn image -> configure WiFi -> install ownCloud -> automate" without mouse, keyboard, monitor.
* Users will be able to create fun and useful automation rules. For exmaple,
  * If someone emails me with attachments, save them to ownCloud.
  * If someone downloads from ownCloud, blink LEDs connected to GPIO.
  * If there's any motion from the connected USB camera, save the captured image to ownCloud.
  * and the list goes on and on.

There are a lot more to Prota OS, but I'm going to stop here. The new version of Prota Os will be released within a few weeks (beta version), so you are welcome to try it out :)

Let me know about your thoughts!
Thanks.

Regards,
Terrence

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) or company named and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of this information may be unlawful and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and notify the sender immediately.

Re: WD Challenge - IFTTT integration

Taehyun Park
Not yet, because it's not stable enough yet (feature-wise, code-wise, etc.). Open-sourcing the project is one of the most important plans for us.

[...]

Terrence T. Park

CEO, Naran Inc.

M. +82 010-7220-1913  T. +82 070-4915-3140  E. [hidden email]

*break barriers by technology innovations