Western Digital proposal - Syncloud

Boris Ribalkin

Hello,

I represent Syncloud project and we share most of the goals of Western Digital and ownCloud collaboration project so we would like to take part in it. Every feature listed below is already implemented and working. You can see Syncloud+ownCloud activation process video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJFvWeQw_s it is demonstrating a relative installation simplicity. We maintain all information at our web site: syncloud.org.

From functionality perspective we have already:

1. Images for several major ARM SBCs (Raspberry Pi 2, Beagle Bone Black, Cubieboard 2, Cubietruck and ODROID XU3/XU4).

2. Discovery and Activation mobile apps for Android and iPhone.

3. Third level domains at syncloud.it are assigned to Syncloud devices and mapped to internal/external IP address for user convenience.

4. Ports are automatically mapped on a home router to enable external access.

5. Apps management system with ownCloud in it (Diaspora is in testing now and more are coming).

Here are some technical details about how Syncloud works:

0. Syncloud device is essentially a Linux server which is hosting different components for users.

1. For our images we prepare Debian root partition for ARM as a base and build it together with boot partition of corresponding board into the image. This is automated for all boards mentioned above. Syncloud software is added once at the moment of preparing root partition.

2. Avahi server running on Syncloud device is used to enable device discovery in the local network through Bonjour protocol. Applications for iOS and Android were implemented to make discovery of Syncloud device as simple as possible. At the moment of device activation user sets device credentials.

3. Syncloud Dynamic DNS  is built on top of Amazon Route53 service. Every Syncloud device gets third level domain name at syncloud.it. The device periodically updates it's ip address on the server.

4. UPnP and NAT-PMP protocols are used to map ports on the home router is user wants to have access the device from outside of his network. Port mappings are being checked and updated periodically.

5. We package each Syncloud application into copy deployment zip. This way installation is smooth and fast. Fresh versions of applications could be updated through web admin panel on the device. This packaging is fully automated and runs on the build server for both x86_64 and armv7l platforms. Applications binaries are stored and downloaded from Amazon S3 storage.

It seems that we already have covered all goals of the collaboration project therefore we would like to participate and make Syncloud running on the WD prototype box.

Thanks,
Boris Rybalkin

Syncloud

Re: Western Digital proposal - Syncloud

Jos Poortvliet
On Wednesday 16 December 2015 17:25:43 Boris Rybalkin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I represent Syncloud project and we share most of the goals of Western
> Digital and ownCloud collaboration project so we would like to take part in
> it. Every feature listed below is already implemented and working. You can
> see Syncloud+ownCloud activation process video here
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJFvWeQw_s it is demonstrating a relative
> installation simplicity. We maintain all information at our web site:
> syncloud.org.
>
> From functionality perspective we have already:
>
> 1. Images for several major ARM SBCs (Raspberry Pi 2, Beagle Bone Black,
> Cubieboard 2, Cubietruck and ODROID XU3/XU4).
>
> 2. Discovery and Activation mobile apps for Android and iPhone.
>
> 3. Third level domains at syncloud.it are assigned to Syncloud devices and
> mapped to internal/external IP address for user convenience.
>
> 4. Ports are automatically mapped on a home router to enable external
> access.
>
> 5. Apps management system with ownCloud in it (Diaspora is in testing now
> and more are coming).
>
> Here are some technical details about how Syncloud works:
>
> 0. Syncloud device is essentially a Linux server which is hosting different
> components for users.
>
> 1. For our images we prepare Debian root partition for ARM as a base and
> build it together with boot partition of corresponding board into the
> image. This is automated for all boards mentioned above. Syncloud software
> is added once at the moment of preparing root partition.
>
> 2. Avahi server running on Syncloud device is used to enable device
> discovery in the local network through Bonjour protocol. Applications for
> iOS and Android were implemented to make discovery of Syncloud device as
> simple as possible. At the moment of device activation user sets device
> credentials.
>
> 3. Syncloud Dynamic DNS  is built on top of Amazon Route53 service. Every
> Syncloud device gets third level domain name at syncloud.it. The device
> periodically updates it's ip address on the server.
>
> 4. UPnP and NAT-PMP protocols are used to map ports on the home router is
> user wants to have access the device from outside of his network. Port
> mappings are being checked and updated periodically.
>
> 5. We package each Syncloud application into copy deployment zip. This way
> installation is smooth and fast. Fresh versions of applications could be
> updated through web admin panel on the device. This packaging is fully
> automated and runs on the build server for both x86_64 and armv7l
> platforms. Applications binaries are stored and downloaded from Amazon S3
> storage.
>
> It seems that we already have covered all goals of the collaboration
> project therefore we would like to participate and make Syncloud running on
> the WD prototype box.
This is really, REALLY awesome. You guys, you're in, all of you. Did I say that already? ;-)

--
Disclaimer:
Everything I do and say is based on my view of the world today. I am not responsible for changes in the world, nor my view on it. Everything I say is meant in a positive and friendly way, unless explicitly stated otherwise.