What is clientsync?

Jonathan Gazeley
After my earlier email to the list, owncloud syncing seems to be working
now.

When I used owncloud in the past, it stored a number of folders in the
root of my shared directory. Now I've set it syncing again, it has
created a directory called "clientsync" and is storing all my data in
there - effectively duplicating it all within a subdirectory.

Is this normal behaviour? Can I turn it off? I'd rather everything was
in the root.

When I set up owncloud-client I didn't enter clientsync into the path,
or see it mentioned anywhere.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Re: What is clientsync?

Daniel Molkentin
Hi Jonnathan,

On 25.01.2013, at 19:11, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:

When I used owncloud in the past, it stored a number of folders in the root of my shared directory. Now I've set it syncing again, it has created a directory called "clientsync" and is storing all my data in there - effectively duplicating it all within a subdirectory.

Is this normal behaviour? Can I turn it off? I'd rather everything was in the root.

Restricting the sync to the "/clientsync" directory is a default behavior we are going to change soon. There were many reasons for this in the past, but it's probably not apt anymore. However, you can chance this by removing the current folder sync in the status dialog, and then immediately re-adding it, but without specifying a directory on the sever.

When I set up owncloud-client I didn't enter clientsync into the path, or see it mentioned anywhere.

Unless you built ownCloud Client yourself with special options, I serously doubt that. You probably had played around with the folder configuration when you installed it first.

Cheers,
  Daniel

--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Re: What is clientsync?

Jonathan Gazeley
On 25/01/13 18:17, Daniel Molkentin wrote:

> Restricting the sync to the "/clientsync" directory is a default
> behavior we are going to change soon. There were many reasons for this
> in the past, but it's probably not apt anymore. However, you can
> chance this by removing the current folder sync in the status dialog,
> and then immediately re-adding it, but without specifying a directory
> on the sever.
>
>> When I set up owncloud-client I didn't enter clientsync into the
>> path, or see it mentioned anywhere.

OK. If it's default, I'll leave it be. It doesn't matter one way or
another. Now my ownCloud server has one (outdated) copy of my files in
the root, and a fresh copy in /clientsync. I want to delete the outdated
files in the root. Is it safe to delete them from the web interface
without affecting the contents of /clientsync?

> Unless you built ownCloud Client yourself with special options, I
> serously doubt that. You probably had played around with the folder
> configuration when you installed it first.

I did indeed play around with ownCloud client quite a bit when I was
first experimenting. I probably changed something there. Thanks for
clearing it up - I think I understand now.

Cheers,
Jonathan