Where are the sources of iOS app?

Mark Ziegler
Good morning,

browsing github repos didn't gave me any result.
Where can I find the sources of iOS app?
If they are not public so which licence is used for that app?
Question from forum.

Cheers,
Mark, the forum guy

Where are the sources of iOS app?

Frank Karlitschek-4
Hi Mark,

the iOS app is unfortunately the piece thats currently not open source. The main reason is Apple problem with GPL style licenses. We hope to have solution for that in the future.

Frank

On 12.11.2012, at 08:40, Mark Ziegler <mark.ziegler at rakekniven.de> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> browsing github repos didn't gave me any result.
> Where can I find the sources of iOS app?
> If they are not public so which licence is used for that app?
> Question from forum.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark, the forum guy

Where are the sources of iOS app?

tallship

Am 12.11.2012 21:57, schrieb Bradley D. Thornton:
> Fluffy: https://gitorious.org/owncloud-mac
>
> Kindest regards,

Looks like there is not much activity.

btw. the question was about original iOS app.

Where are the sources of iOS app?

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
We talked about that for a second at the developer meetup. Apparently
Apple doesn?t really have that big of a problem with GPL style
licenses, just in VLC?s case it seems to have been overblown through
Apple deleting the app ? which was apparently also because the VLC
developers were not in agreement what to do about the violation.

That said, there are a bunch of open source (also GPL) iOS apps around:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_iOS_applications
Among others Wikipedia, Wordpress, Reddit, and ChatSecure by my buddy
Chris (cc'd ? Chris, do you know more about the GPL / App Store
problem?)

So, if that was the plan all along, let?s just have the sources
published at http://github.com/owncloud/ios and licensed under GPL.
If that turns out to cause problems, in the worst case ownCloud Inc.
can just license the app that goes into the App Store under MIT or
something else.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>

> the iOS app is unfortunately the piece thats currently not open source. The main reason is Apple problem with GPL style licenses. We hope to have solution for that in the future.
>

> Frank
>

> On 12.11.2012, at 08:40, Mark Ziegler <mark.ziegler at rakekniven.de> wrote:
>
>> Good morning,
>>
>> browsing github repos didn't gave me any result.
>> Where can I find the sources of iOS app?
>> If they are not public so which licence is used for that app?
>> Question from forum.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark, the forum guy

Where are the sources of iOS app?

Chris Ballinger
If you own the full copyright to the source code you are posting on the App
Store you can license your code under GPL, but it won't allow others to
distribute the code (if you so wish).  Some LGPL libraries include a
"static linking exception" to allow others to distribute the code on the
app store without worry.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt <
hey at jancborchardt.net> wrote:

> We talked about that for a second at the developer meetup. Apparently
> Apple doesn?t really have that big of a problem with GPL style
> licenses, just in VLC?s case it seems to have been overblown through
> Apple deleting the app ? which was apparently also because the VLC
> developers were not in agreement what to do about the violation.
>
> That said, there are a bunch of open source (also GPL) iOS apps around:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_iOS_applications
> Among others Wikipedia, Wordpress, Reddit, and ChatSecure by my buddy
> Chris (cc'd ? Chris, do you know more about the GPL / App Store
> problem?)
>

> So, if that was the plan all along, let?s just have the sources
> published at http://github.com/owncloud/ios and licensed under GPL.
> If that turns out to cause problems, in the worst case ownCloud Inc.
> can just license the app that goes into the App Store under MIT or
> something else.
>

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >

> > the iOS app is unfortunately the piece thats currently not open source.
> The main reason is Apple problem with GPL style licenses. We hope to have
> solution for that in the future.
> >

> > Frank
> >

> > On 12.11.2012, at 08:40, Mark Ziegler <mark.ziegler at rakekniven.de>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Good morning,
> >>
> >> browsing github repos didn't gave me any result.
> >> Where can I find the sources of iOS app?
> >> If they are not public so which licence is used for that app?
> >> Question from forum.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Mark, the forum guy

Re: Where are the sources of iOS app?

kwillems
Is there any news concerning open sourcing the IOS app?

Koen Willems