Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

hippykilla
Started building a windows 8 sync app for Owncloud. So far it's going well and should be ready for some testing in a month.  It's a little bit of a pain but with some great help from the virtual server environment at azure, it's become much better lately.  In fact, in the end, I think this app will outshine both iphone and Android apps. Very efficient so far.  I am including the ability to sync folders within exchange and sharepoint. If anyone else is working on this, let me know and we can combine forces.

Re: Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
Hey Derek, great to hear!

Interface-wise, you can check out the redesign specs for the Android
and iOS app (still subject to change):
https://github.com/owncloud/design/blob/master/mobile/README.md
We should keep the apps simple and consistent with the web interface,
so please let me know if you have feedback on that.

Also, would be cool if you can already send some screenshots to see
the direction. :)
If you’re not on there yet, please join the IRC channels
#owncloud-design and #owncloud-dev

Cheers!

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM, hippykilla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Started building a windows 8 sync app for Owncloud. So far it's going well
> and should be ready for some testing in a month.  It's a little bit of a
> pain but with some great help from the virtual server environment at azure,
> it's become much better lately.  In fact, in the end, I think this app will
> outshine both iphone and Android apps. Very efficient so far.  I am
> including the ability to sync folders within exchange and sharepoint. If
> anyone else is working on this, let me know and we can combine forces.

Re: Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

Robin Appelman-2
On Tuesday 14 May 2013 11:45:41 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> Hey Derek, great to hear!
>
> Interface-wise, you can check out the redesign specs for the Android
> and iOS app (still subject to change):
> https://github.com/owncloud/design/blob/master/mobile/README.md
> We should keep the apps simple and consistent with the web interface,
> so please let me know if you have feedback on that.

I'm not sure about that, windows (phone) 8 have very different HIG's then
android/ios, WP8 apps that are similar in UI to their iOS/android usually
provide a worse user experience then apps that are build with the metro HIG in
mind.

> Also, would be cool if you can already send some screenshots to see
> the direction. :)
> If you’re not on there yet, please join the IRC channels
> #owncloud-design and #owncloud-dev
>
> Cheers!
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM, hippykilla <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Started building a windows 8 sync app for Owncloud. So far it's going well
> > and should be ready for some testing in a month.  It's a little bit of a
> > pain but with some great help from the virtual server environment at
> > azure,
> > it's become much better lately.  In fact, in the end, I think this app
> > will
> > outshine both iphone and Android apps. Very efficient so far.  I am
> > including the ability to sync folders within exchange and sharepoint. If
> > anyone else is working on this, let me know and we can combine forces.

Anyway, great to see someone working on an app for windows 8, if you need help
testing I would be happy to help.

 - Robin Appelman

RE: Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

hippykilla

Thanks.  I agree with simple.   Simple is that thing my former company (Microsoft) doesn’t do well. J

Will send screen shots when I think they are worth sending.  I’m picky that way.

db

Interface-wise, you can check out the redesign specs for the Android
and iOS app (still subject to change):
https://github.com/owncloud/design/blob/master/mobile/README.md
We should keep the apps simple and consistent with the web interface,
so please let me know if you have feedback on that.

Also, would be cool if you can already send some screenshots to see
the direction. :)
If you’re not on there yet, please join the IRC channels
#owncloud-design and #owncloud-dev

Cheers!

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM, hippykilla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Started building a windows 8 sync app for Owncloud. So far it's going well
> and should be ready for some testing in a month.  It's a little bit of a
> pain but with some great help from the virtual server environment at azure,
> it's become much better lately.  In fact, in the end, I think this app will
> outshine both iphone and Android apps. Very efficient so far.  I am
> including the ability to sync folders within exchange and sharepoint. If
> anyone else is working on this, let me know and we can combine forces.

http://owncloud.10557.n7.nabble.com/Windows-8-app-mobile-desktop-tp9239p9245.html

To unsubscribe from Windows 8 app mobile/desktop, click here.
NAML

Re: Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
Hey Derek, just wanted to ask if you have any updates on this ownCloud
app for Windows 8? Let us know if you need any help. :)

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM, hippykilla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks.  I agree with simple.   Simple is that thing my former company
> (Microsoft) doesn’t do well. J
>
> Will send screen shots when I think they are worth sending.  I’m picky that
> way.
>

> db

On a related note: I've been experimenting with windows phone development a
bit and started working on a client for the news app.

Currently the design is very basic, you have a list of folders and items in
the folder, click on an item to view the item.

http://i.imgur.com/h0jbDcA.png

On Saturday 08 June 2013 18:44:09 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> Hey Derek, just wanted to ask if you have any updates on this ownCloud
> app for Windows 8? Let us know if you need any help. :)

 - Robin Appelman

Re: Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
Hehe, the News app spawns a whole bunch of apps on the different
platforms. :) Good to see!

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Robin Appelman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On a related note: I've been experimenting with windows phone development a
> bit and started working on a client for the news app.
>
> Currently the design is very basic, you have a list of folders and items in
> the folder, click on an item to view the item.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/h0jbDcA.png
>
> On Saturday 08 June 2013 18:44:09 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
>> Hey Derek, just wanted to ask if you have any updates on this ownCloud
>> app for Windows 8? Let us know if you need any help. :)
>
>  - Robin Appelman

Re: Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

valireality
i can test if you want, i use owncloud for sync pictures from my phone directly to owncloud server at home
thank you making my life easier. :)

Re: Windows 8 app mobile/desktop

hippykilla
Sorry all. I got pulled away on a huge project for my company that involved a ton of servers and very exciting work.   I had to stop working working on the app.  I will get to it when I can again.  I need to hire some folks to help me work on a few owncloud boxes though. I don't have the time.