choose between 7 and 10

Xen

choose between 7 and 10

Xen
I'm still using Owncloud 7 in Debian 8, looking to see if I should
upgrade or keep using it.

It is not a special server, just a container of files for download, as
such there is barely any important database content.

The reason I wanted to say for picking 7 (instead of 8 at the time) was
that 7 looked better to me with the user interface ;-).

I don't know right now but version 10 doesn't look bad.

Can anyone tell me some pros and cons with staying with 7 vs. going with
10 for me specifically?

- prefer to have something that will still work with PHP5?
- size is somewhat important (7 is about 50MB but more than 100MB is
something I am going to feel a bit)
- personally the only feature from 7 I wanted to use but couldn't at
some point was (in addition to Files),
   the ability to play back music. I think that created havoc at some
point and I turned off the plugin after
   it was said that it was only 'community supported'.

I would probably have wanted to use some database upgrade path but it
seems that is not very easy with Owncloud?

- does Owncloud 10 still easily integrate "new" "discovered" files into
its view and database?

One essential feature for me is that I can just move files there within
the shell even if that is not officially supported, because Webdav is
not something I really like and/or can get working and only a web
interface is not enough (too slow).

Owncloud 7 never complained about any of that as long as I set
permissions right and it just worked flawlessly each and every time.

So my most urgent needs are only:

- the functionality of Owncloud 7 (I don't really need more)
- easy moving files 'in place' outside of Owncloud
- maybe a music app
- size on disk for program files not bigger than 100MB
- preferably PHP 5 support also

And I only really want to choose between version 10 and 7.

Any ideas?

Regards, Xen.
Xen

Re: choose between 7 and 10

Xen
Xen schreef op 03-10-2017 19:22:

> - the functionality of Owncloud 7 (I don't really need more)
> - easy moving files 'in place' outside of Owncloud
> - maybe a music app
> - size on disk for program files not bigger than 100MB
> - preferably PHP 5 support also
>
> And I only really want to choose between version 10 and 7.
>
> Any ideas?

So I answered 2 of my own questions in that sense:

  - PHP 5.6 still supported
  - size on disk is about exactly 100MB.

Only thing is I won't be able to use a Debian package.

So I worry a bit about Database setup but I guess it would be doable...

I would like to keep the Debian separation alive:
  - php files in /usr/share/owncloud
  - data in /var/lib/owncloud
  - config in /etc/owncloud

And the database server is of course separate (I use PostgreSQL).

But my database server is dedicated to Owncloud, I don't do anything
else with Postgres.

(Which I think makes it easier to keep it together as a single backup).

The only fundamental criterium that is left is that Owncloud doesn't
choke when it finds new files in its data directory, and that it doesn't
do weird things when files are deleted?

Only talking about data files.

?

Re: choose between 7 and 10

Emil Lefherz
Hi Xen,

ownCloud 10 should be able to fit your requirements. You can also look
here:
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

Instead of webDAV, did you try the ownCloud sync client? this is the
thing one would usually use. Should work out of the box.

I don't know the exact size of the current ownCloud, just download the
tarball and check yourself: https://owncloud.org/install/#edition - the
zip is 44 MB.

For the rest I recommend trial and error ;)

Regards, Emil

On 03.10.2017 19:36, Xen wrote:

> Xen schreef op 03-10-2017 19:22:
>
>> - the functionality of Owncloud 7 (I don't really need more)
>> - easy moving files 'in place' outside of Owncloud
>> - maybe a music app
>> - size on disk for program files not bigger than 100MB
>> - preferably PHP 5 support also
>>
>> And I only really want to choose between version 10 and 7.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> So I answered 2 of my own questions in that sense:
>
>  - PHP 5.6 still supported
>  - size on disk is about exactly 100MB.
>
> Only thing is I won't be able to use a Debian package.
>
> So I worry a bit about Database setup but I guess it would be doable...
>
> I would like to keep the Debian separation alive:
>  - php files in /usr/share/owncloud
>  - data in /var/lib/owncloud
>  - config in /etc/owncloud
>
> And the database server is of course separate (I use PostgreSQL).
>
> But my database server is dedicated to Owncloud, I don't do anything
> else with Postgres.
>
> (Which I think makes it easier to keep it together as a single backup).
>
> The only fundamental criterium that is left is that Owncloud doesn't
> choke when it finds new files in its data directory, and that it
> doesn't do weird things when files are deleted?
>
> Only talking about data files.
>
> ?
Xen

Re: choose between 7 and 10

Xen
Emil Lefherz schreef op 04-10-2017 11:15:
> Hi Xen,
>
> ownCloud 10 should be able to fit your requirements. You can also look
> here:
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html
>
> Instead of webDAV, did you try the ownCloud sync client? this is the
> thing one would usually use. Should work out of the box.

Sort of would be rather annoying to use from within the server itself
right?

That's because I don't want to _sync_ two directories. I just want to
_move_ files somewhere.

> I don't know the exact size of the current ownCloud, just download the
> tarball and check yourself: https://owncloud.org/install/#edition - the
> zip is 44 MB.

Thank you, my second email noted that the unpacked size is 100MB.

> For the rest I recommend trial and error ;)

That's precisely the thing one would hope to avoid by asking the
experience of others.

:).

Regards.