desktop client does not mention 1.6.0. release

desktop client does not mention 1.6.0. release

Mark Ziegler
Hello,

why does the client (1.5.4) not showing a hint for a new release (1.6.0)
like in the past?

Cheers,
Mark

Re: desktop client does not mention 1.6.0. release

Daniel Molkentin
Because we still want to await feedback before pushing (a major) version onto everyone.
It's always been that way, but I wanted to be more conservative for a major release.

Daniel

www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Re: desktop client does not mention 1.6.0. release

Mark Ziegler
Ok, makes sense.
It has been released nearly two weeks ago.
So I will install it on 5 systems today and crossing fingers ;-)

Am 15.06.14 13:20, schrieb Daniel Molkentin:
Because we still want to await feedback before pushing (a major) version onto everyone.
It's always been that way, but I wanted to be more conservative for a major release.

Daniel

Am 15.06.2014 um 13:07 schrieb Mark Ziegler:

Hello,

why does the client (1.5.4) not showing a hint for a new release (1.6.0) like in the past?

Cheers,
Mark

www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Re: desktop client does not mention 1.6.0. release

Mark Ziegler
Hello Daniel, Klaas and unknown client devs,

well done.
v1.6.0 runs smoothly on my Mac and Win machines.
No complains at all.

Best regards,
Mark

desktop client does not yet mention 1.6.1

Carsten Schiefner
Daniel,

we got the following reply:

On 15.06.2014 13:20, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> Because we still want to await feedback before pushing (a major) version
> onto everyone.
> It's always been that way, but I wanted to be more conservative for a
> major release.

when 1.6._0_ had gotten released - made all the sense to me.

I now wonder when you will push 1.6._1_ to upgrade 1.5.4 clients.

Best,

        -C.

Re: desktop client does not yet mention 1.6.1

Daniel Molkentin

Am 04.07.2014 um 11:11 schrieb Carsten Schiefner:

Daniel,

we got the following reply:

On 15.06.2014 13:20, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
Because we still want to await feedback before pushing (a major) version
onto everyone.
It's always been that way, but I wanted to be more conservative for a
major release.

when 1.6._0_ had gotten released - made all the sense to me.

Again, as soon as we were sure nothing major was impacting a broad rollout. For 1.6.0, that was a rather bad memleak.

Also, we had to modify the updater to ensure it does not advertise the update to Mac OS 10.6 users, since 1.6 now
requires a minimum version of 1.6.

That said, the updater should now advertise 1.6.1.

Daniel

--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Re: desktop client does not yet mention 1.6.1

kwillems
Hi Daniel,

Can You disclose the script which is used server sided to use for the updater?

Cheers,
Koen

Am 04.07.2014 um 14:00 schrieb Daniel Molkentin <[hidden email]>:
> Again, as soon as we were sure nothing major was impacting a broad rollout. For 1.6.0, that was a rather bad memleak.
>
> Also, we had to modify the updater to ensure it does not advertise the update to Mac OS 10.6 users, since 1.6 now
> requires a minimum version of 1.6.

this is well understood - and very much appreciated.

> That said, the updater should now advertise 1.6.1.

Confirmed.

One last question: what is the average period of time you let pass by
before you let the updater announce a new version? Just to avoid nagging
you too early...

Cheers,

On 04.07.2014 16:58, Carsten Schiefner wrote:

> One last question: what is the average period of time you let pass by
> before you let the updater announce a new version? Just to avoid
> nagging you too early...
It's mostly based on the influx on the bug tracker and the time it takes
to triage the initial bugs (i.e. assess if they are isolated cases or if
they can cause general problems). Usually that should be done after a
week or so.

Daniel