dev status and help offer

Sven Aßmann
Hi @All,

can anybody say me something about the current development status of contacts
implementation to owncloud? Or where i found (exept repository) some status
information?

Are there any plans to implement:
 1. An Akonadi (for KDE PIM >= 2.0) Resource holder for Contacts, Calendar or
Tasks?
 2. An Android account/sync application for sharing for Contacts, Calendar or
Tasks to the android mobile?

Is it possible to help you within these topics? I familar with PHP, CPP and
also JAVA ..

--
Best Regards

Sven A?mann

dev status and help offer

Bartek Przybylski
Hi Sven!
I'm interested in your participation in android project ;) because i
was planning to implement syncing of contacts and calendar events with
owncloud server. Android app src is available on gitorious, but for
mentioned features some server support is required, so this is a start
point for them. If you decide to help on android app ill answer any
question you have.

Bartek

2011/9/13 Sven A?mann <sven.assmann at lubico.biz>:

> Hi @All,
>
> can anybody say me something about the current development status of contacts
> implementation to owncloud? Or where i found (exept repository) some status
> information?
>
> Are there any plans to implement:
> ?1. An Akonadi (for KDE PIM >= 2.0) Resource holder for Contacts, Calendar or
> Tasks?
> ?2. An Android account/sync application for sharing for Contacts, Calendar or
> Tasks to the android mobile?
>
> Is it possible to help you within these topics? I familar with PHP, CPP and
> also JAVA ..
>
> --
> Best Regards
>
> Sven A?mann

dev status and help offer

Sven Aßmann
Hi Bartek,

i'm happy to help you :)

i have tested the app in emulator against local owncloud server. so far so
god. but i'm currently not sure how far is the owncloud server contacts
implementation, maybe anyone can say something about it?

further it would be a idea to talk about "how" the android application can
access the contacts. maybe a rest call that deliver JSON or something is a
quite good solution.
But these guys that work on the contacts implementation on the server side
should decide this?

Then i have another question to you:

should it be possible to "browse" the contacts with the owncloud app? Or will
it be good enough that the background sync application will sync the contacts
to the "normal" adressbook?

What do you think will be the best solution and what will be a good to start
aproach?

--
Sven

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 07:40:48 schrieben Sie:

> Hi Sven!
> I'm interested in your participation in android project ;) because i
> was planning to implement syncing of contacts and calendar events with
> owncloud server. Android app src is available on gitorious, but for
> mentioned features some server support is required, so this is a start
> point for them. If you decide to help on android app ill answer any
> question you have.
>
> Bartek
>
> 2011/9/13 Sven A?mann <sven.assmann at lubico.biz>:
> > Hi @All,
> >
> > can anybody say me something about the current development status of
> > contacts implementation to owncloud? Or where i found (exept
> > repository) some status information?
> >
> > Are there any plans to implement:
> >  1. An Akonadi (for KDE PIM >= 2.0) Resource holder for Contacts,
> > Calendar or Tasks?
> >  2. An Android account/sync application for sharing for Contacts,
> > Calendar or Tasks to the android mobile?
> >
> > Is it possible to help you within these topics? I familar with PHP, CPP
> > and also JAVA ..
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Sven A?mann

dev status and help offer

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-2
Hey Sven! Good to have you.
Do you have an account at http://Gitorious.org ? Let me know your username
so I can add you to the contributors team, then you will have commit
access to the Android repository.

Jakob (cc'd) works on the contacts implementation on the server side.

As for the app itself, we shouldn?t replicate native functions where we
don?t need to. The contacts should be synced with the Android address book
because that can tie in to everything else. There is no point in
reinventing everything (contacts, calendar, music player, ?) ? we just
have to get integration right: syncing, file browsing, calling other apps
for opening, etc.

On Wed, September 14, 2011 16:00, Sven A?mann wrote:

> should it be possible to "browse" the contacts with the owncloud app?
> Or will it be good enough that the background sync application
> will sync the contacts to the "normal" adressbook?
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 07:40:48 schrieben Sie:
>> Hi Sven!
>> I'm interested in your participation in android project ;) because i
>> was planning to implement syncing of contacts and calendar events with
>> owncloud server. Android app src is available on gitorious, but for
>> mentioned features some server support is required, so this is a start
>> point for them. If you decide to help on android app ill answer any
>> question you have.
>>
>> Bartek
>>
>> 2011/9/13 Sven A?mann <sven.assmann at lubico.biz>:
>> > Hi @All,
>> >
>> > can anybody say me something about the current development status of
>> > contacts implementation to owncloud? Or where i found (exept
>> > repository) some status information?
>> >
>> > Are there any plans to implement:
>> >  1. An Akonadi (for KDE PIM >= 2.0) Resource holder for Contacts,
>> > Calendar or Tasks?
>> >  2. An Android account/sync application for sharing for Contacts,
>> > Calendar or Tasks to the android mobile?
>> >
>> > Is it possible to help you within these topics? I familar with PHP,
>> CPP
>> > and also JAVA ..
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best Regards
>> >
>> > Sven A?mann

dev status and help offer

Bartek Przybylski
Hi!
Jan has a point there. I also was thinking about syncing to native
contacts book.
But the question which im asking myself is not how to sync contacts, but how to
find out that server is supporting contacts book, calendar etc.

2011/9/14 Jan-Christoph Borchardt <JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org>:

> Hey Sven! Good to have you.
> Do you have an account at http://Gitorious.org ? Let me know your username
> so I can add you to the contributors team, then you will have commit
> access to the Android repository.
>
> Jakob (cc'd) works on the contacts implementation on the server side.
>
> As for the app itself, we shouldn?t replicate native functions where we
> don?t need to. The contacts should be synced with the Android address book
> because that can tie in to everything else. There is no point in
> reinventing everything (contacts, calendar, music player, ?) ? we just
> have to get integration right: syncing, file browsing, calling other apps
> for opening, etc.
>

> On Wed, September 14, 2011 16:00, Sven A?mann wrote:
>> should it be possible to "browse" the contacts with the owncloud app?
>> Or will it be good enough that the background sync application
>> will sync the contacts to the "normal" adressbook?
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 07:40:48 schrieben Sie:
>>> Hi Sven!
>>> I'm interested in your participation in android project ;) because i
>>> was planning to implement syncing of contacts and calendar events with
>>> owncloud server. Android app src is available on gitorious, but for
>>> mentioned features some server support is required, so this is a start
>>> point for them. If you decide to help on android app ill answer any
>>> question you have.
>>>
>>> Bartek

>>> CPP

dev status and help offer

Sven Aßmann
Hi,

at first my gitorious username is sassman

The issue of "figure out what features the server side app supports" is a
general problem. So it is also neccessary to have a version number, to check
if the (android-)client is combatible to the server application.

To solve this issue it would be the best to have a own action/url on the
server side that offers some informations to the client. Something like:
version number, supported applications (contacts, calendar etc..), supported
protocols etc. can make sense to me.

So the next steps for me are:
- take a closer look at the goole contacts api
- figure out how the webdav lookup implementation (especial for contacts) in
owncloud works

maybe i have additional questions to these topics.

but for now have big thanks for the nice welcome.

--
Sven

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 16:44:06 schrieb Bartek Przybylski:

> Hi!
> Jan has a point there. I also was thinking about syncing to native
> contacts book.
> But the question which im asking myself is not how to sync contacts, but how
> to find out that server is supporting contacts book, calendar etc.
>
> 2011/9/14 Jan-Christoph Borchardt <JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org>:
> > Hey Sven! Good to have you.
> > Do you have an account at http://Gitorious.org ? Let me know your
> > username so I can add you to the contributors team, then you will have
> > commit access to the Android repository.
> >
> > Jakob (cc'd) works on the contacts implementation on the server side.
> >
> > As for the app itself, we shouldn?t replicate native functions where we
> > don?t need to. The contacts should be synced with the Android address
> > book because that can tie in to everything else. There is no point in
> > reinventing everything (contacts, calendar, music player, ?) ? we just
> > have to get integration right: syncing, file browsing, calling other
> > apps for opening, etc.
> >
> > On Wed, September 14, 2011 16:00, Sven A?mann wrote:
> >> should it be possible to "browse" the contacts with the owncloud app?
> >> Or will it be good enough that the background sync application
> >> will sync the contacts to the "normal" adressbook?
> >>
> >> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 07:40:48 schrieben Sie:

dev status and help offer

cody@killsudo.info
This will also make it easy for akonadi support. Only the resource files will
need to be created then one could easily allow all mail to be synced at
owncloud then delivered to invidual devices via imap for sync control. No
point in making email complicated when we have good standards. The same should
be done for contacts & calendar so we immeadiately have mobile device support
without having to support multiple mobile platforms for basic functions.

--Cody

On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 04:25:37 PM Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:

> Hey Sven! Good to have you.
> Do you have an account at http://Gitorious.org ? Let me know your username
> so I can add you to the contributors team, then you will have commit
> access to the Android repository.
>
> Jakob (cc'd) works on the contacts implementation on the server side.
>
> As for the app itself, we shouldn?t replicate native functions where we
> don?t need to. The contacts should be synced with the Android address book
> because that can tie in to everything else. There is no point in
> reinventing everything (contacts, calendar, music player, ?) ? we just
> have to get integration right: syncing, file browsing, calling other apps
> for opening, etc.
>
> On Wed, September 14, 2011 16:00, Sven A?mann wrote:
> > should it be possible to "browse" the contacts with the owncloud app?
> > Or will it be good enough that the background sync application
> > will sync the contacts to the "normal" adressbook?
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 07:40:48 schrieben Sie:
> >> Hi Sven!
> >> I'm interested in your participation in android project ;) because i
> >> was planning to implement syncing of contacts and calendar events with
> >> owncloud server. Android app src is available on gitorious, but for
> >> mentioned features some server support is required, so this is a start
> >> point for them. If you decide to help on android app ill answer any
> >> question you have.
> >>
> >> Bartek

> >> CPP

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 230 bytes

dev status and help offer

Alessandro Cosentino
Hi Sven,
I am interested in the integration of Akonadi and Owncloud too.
In particular, my project consists of creating an Akonadi RSS resource
which has Owncloud as a backend.
As I wrote on this list before, Jakob Sack and I are going to work on
this soon, once I am done working with Akregator.
Maybe we should plan an Akonadi+Owncloud IRC meeting some time.

Alessandro
(zimba12 on Freenode)

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Sven <sven.assmann at lubico.biz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at first my gitorious username is sassman
>
> The issue of "figure out what features the server side app supports" is a
> general problem. So it is also neccessary to have a version number, to check
> if the (android-)client is combatible to the server application.
>
> To solve this issue it would be the best to have a own action/url on the
> server side that offers some informations to the client. Something like:
> version number, supported applications (contacts, calendar etc..), supported
> protocols etc. can make sense to me.
>
> So the next steps for me are:
> - take a closer look at the goole contacts api
> - figure out how the webdav lookup implementation (especial for contacts) in
> owncloud works
>
> maybe i have additional questions to these topics.
>
> but for now have big thanks for the nice welcome.
>
> --
> Sven
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 16:44:06 schrieb Bartek Przybylski:
>> Hi!
>> Jan has a point there. I also was thinking about syncing to native
>> contacts book.
>> But the question which im asking myself is not how to sync contacts, but how
>> to find out that server is supporting contacts book, calendar etc.
>>
>> 2011/9/14 Jan-Christoph Borchardt <JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org>:
>> > Hey Sven! Good to have you.
>> > Do you have an account at http://Gitorious.org ? Let me know your
>> > username so I can add you to the contributors team, then you will have
>> > commit access to the Android repository.
>> >
>> > Jakob (cc'd) works on the contacts implementation on the server side.
>> >
>> > As for the app itself, we shouldn?t replicate native functions where we
>> > don?t need to. The contacts should be synced with the Android address
>> > book because that can tie in to everything else. There is no point in
>> > reinventing everything (contacts, calendar, music player, ?) ? we just
>> > have to get integration right: syncing, file browsing, calling other
>> > apps for opening, etc.

dev status and help offer

Bartek Przybylski
Irc meeting will take place tommorow 15.09.2011 @8pm CEST we have few
topics, but another one wont be a problem ;)

2011/9/14 Alessandro Cosentino <cosenal at gmail.com>:

> Hi Sven,
> I am interested in the integration of Akonadi and Owncloud too.
> In particular, my project consists of creating an Akonadi RSS resource
> which has Owncloud as a backend.
> As I wrote on this list before, Jakob Sack and I are going to work on
> this soon, once I am done working with Akregator.
> Maybe we should plan an Akonadi+Owncloud IRC meeting some time.
>
> Alessandro
> (zimba12 on Freenode)
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Sven <sven.assmann at lubico.biz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> at first my gitorious username is sassman
>>
>> The issue of "figure out what features the server side app supports" is a
>> general problem. So it is also neccessary to have a version number, to check
>> if the (android-)client is combatible to the server application.
>>
>> To solve this issue it would be the best to have a own action/url on the
>> server side that offers some informations to the client. Something like:
>> version number, supported applications (contacts, calendar etc..), supported
>> protocols etc. can make sense to me.
>>
>> So the next steps for me are:
>> - take a closer look at the goole contacts api
>> - figure out how the webdav lookup implementation (especial for contacts) in
>> owncloud works
>>
>> maybe i have additional questions to these topics.
>>
>> but for now have big thanks for the nice welcome.
>>
>> --
>> Sven
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 16:44:06 schrieb Bartek Przybylski:
>>> Hi!
>>> Jan has a point there. I also was thinking about syncing to native
>>> contacts book.
>>> But the question which im asking myself is not how to sync contacts, but how
>>> to find out that server is supporting contacts book, calendar etc.

dev status and help offer

Bart Visscher
Hi Sven and Alessandro,

Have a look at the CalDAV and CardDAV standards. Owncloud has (almost) full support for these protocols. For Android there is a OSS app called acal, it works with CalDAV and for CardDAV is a branch. Maybe Akonadi can also use these protocols.

Greetings,
Bart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CardDAV

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 01:25:06PM -0400, Alessandro Cosentino wrote:

> Hi Sven,
> I am interested in the integration of Akonadi and Owncloud too.
> In particular, my project consists of creating an Akonadi RSS resource
> which has Owncloud as a backend.
> As I wrote on this list before, Jakob Sack and I are going to work on
> this soon, once I am done working with Akregator.
> Maybe we should plan an Akonadi+Owncloud IRC meeting some time.
>
> Alessandro
> (zimba12 on Freenode)
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Sven <sven.assmann at lubico.biz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > at first my gitorious username is sassman
> >
> > The issue of "figure out what features the server side app supports" is a
> > general problem. So it is also neccessary to have a version number, to check
> > if the (android-)client is combatible to the server application.
> >
> > To solve this issue it would be the best to have a own action/url on the
> > server side that offers some informations to the client. Something like:
> > version number, supported applications (contacts, calendar etc..), supported
> > protocols etc. can make sense to me.
> >
> > So the next steps for me are:
> > - take a closer look at the goole contacts api
> > - figure out how the webdav lookup implementation (especial for contacts) in
> > owncloud works
> >
> > maybe i have additional questions to these topics.
> >
> > but for now have big thanks for the nice welcome.
> >
> > --
> > Sven
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011, 16:44:06 schrieb Bartek Przybylski:
> >> Hi!
> >> Jan has a point there. I also was thinking about syncing to native
> >> contacts book.
> >> But the question which im asking myself is not how to sync contacts, but how
> >> to find out that server is supporting contacts book, calendar etc.

dev status and help offer

rom1dep
2011/9/14 Bart Visscher <bartv at thisnet.nl>:
> Hi Sven and Alessandro,
>
> Have a look at the CalDAV and CardDAV standards. Owncloud has (almost) full support for these protocols. For Android there is a OSS app called acal, it works with CalDAV and for CardDAV is a branch. Maybe Akonadi can also use these protocols.

Yep, indeed, I have been using Akonadi (Korganizer) with Google
Calendar's caldav for months. It works well.

I tried the same with owncloud but if failed :( ...

If someone has any idea on how to make korganizer and owncloud speak
together, I'm interested ;)

@++

_____
rom1dep.

> Greetings,
> Bart
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CardDAV
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 01:25:06PM -0400, Alessandro Cosentino wrote:
>> Hi Sven,
>> I am interested in the integration of Akonadi and Owncloud too.
>> In particular, my project consists of creating an Akonadi RSS resource
>> which has Owncloud as a backend.
>> As I wrote on this list before, Jakob Sack and I are going to work on
>> this soon, once I am done working with Akregator.
>> Maybe we should plan an Akonadi+Owncloud IRC meeting some time.
>>
>> Alessandro
>> (zimba12 on Freenode)
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Sven <sven.assmann at lubico.biz> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > at first my gitorious username is sassman
>> >
>> > The issue of "figure out what features the server side app supports" is a
>> > general problem. So it is also neccessary to have a version number, to check
>> > if the (android-)client is combatible to the server application.
>> >
>> > To solve this issue it would be the best to have a own action/url on the
>> > server side that offers some informations to the client. Something like:
>> > version number, supported applications (contacts, calendar etc..), supported
>> > protocols etc. can make sense to me.
>> >
>> > So the next steps for me are:
>> > - take a closer look at the goole contacts api
>> > - figure out how the webdav lookup implementation (especial for contacts) in
>> > owncloud works
>> >
>> > maybe i have additional questions to these topics.
>> >
>> > but for now have big thanks for the nice welcome.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Sven

dev status and help offer

Sven Aßmann
Hi Bart,

thanks for the information. That was exactly the missing point to know how the
data exchange could be done. I think the CardDav Protocol is a robust coice.

I look forward to have the first LOCs today :)

But by the way, i guess it would make sense to gather all these informations
to the specific apps/project. Into some kind of documentation folder. So the
work in time for others can be reduced and the quality of documentaion to the
whole project will also be improved.

--
Sven